Any Bolt Thrower fans here?

ClintN667

I just picked up a GX700 effects processor. The guys in bolt thrower were using these with a solid state marshall power amp. Im trying to get the hang of dialing it in but so far I have to say the effects are pretty damn good for an old effects processor but then again I remember all the digitech, boss, etc being really good as a kid.

Anyway have any of you guys used one of these? Im using a friends settings now going into a Marshall Power amp capture in the quad cortex with a Marshall v30 cab impulse and Im pretty happy so far. Im still not there yet with the sound I want but its getting there.

I was wanting to get tones like my favorite Death Metal bands so with the Quad Cortex or my V2 Caldera I can get the Obituary tone pretty easy, carcass is pretty easy as well with the QC or my Karakatou Colossus Preamp but even with my Mark IV I get tones Im happy with playing their tunes with. Bolt Thrower for some reason Ive never been happy with. To me they are kind of like the Iron Maiden of death metal but every time I played their songs it just didnt have my tone nailed down enough to where it made it sound right. Last night was the first time I felt like "I can use this"

Last thing I would like to be able to do is get a Morbid Angel tone. I know they used rats and JCM900's but I have yet to get anything that seems believable.

One side note is there was a preset called Metal Zone on the GX700 and damn if it wasnt a great tone for megadeth songs. Not sure if it came with the unit or if it was the previous owner's preset.

I definitely have my own personal tone but its fun to play a cover of a band and have the tone sound close. After I get Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel down I am going to move to another genre and get some sounds dialed in. Maybe some alternative type tones where I can use fuzzes or distortion types I usually dont use.

What era of Bolt Thrower tone are you trying to nail? I think the Boss multi fx only came into the picture around the For Victory era IIRC.

But I don’t have any concrete information on what they used on the first 4 albums either...

What era of Bolt Thrower tone are you trying to nail? I think the Boss multi fx only came into the picture around the For Victory era IIRC.

But I don’t have any concrete information on what they used on the first 4 albums either...
Mercenary and Those Once Loyal.

Im guessing they used JCM900's or 800's prior to that? But there is very little info that Ive found about that era. I know at one point Jo Beth was using an 800 for bass.

For Victory is the best Death Metal album ever.

Love Bolt Thrower. World Eataaaarrrrrrrr!. Don't know their rigs though sorry. I think they tuned down to drop A, or A standard is that right?

Trey Azagthoth uses a Rane ME30 EQ into a Rat and his JCM900 apparently.

Love Bolt Thrower. World Eataaaarrrrrrrr!. Don't know their rigs though sorry. I think they tuned down to drop A, or A standard is that right?

Trey Azagthoth uses a Rane ME30 EQ into a Rat and his JCM900 apparently.
World Eater will make you want to fuck shit up. Such a bad ass song.

And yeah I agree on the their song writing. They did some staples of death metal like tremolo picking but they always had some harmony going. Like someone could whistle one of their songs and I would recognize it.

Bolt Thrower is awesome! Not only because they write crushing death metal, but also they are Warhammer 40k themed. 😤👊

A few of the original lads started a new group called Memoriam.

Bolt Thrower is awesome! Not only because they write crushing death metal, but also they are Warhammer 40k themed. 😤👊

A few of the original lads started a new group called Memoriam.
Memoriam is hit or miss for me. Some of their songs Karl's voice sounds bad. It's I guess part of doing that kind of vocals. Although Jeff from Carcass sounds as good as he ever has.

Carcass is probably my favorite death metal band all around. Those guys pioneered several different subgenre and when they came back from a long hiatus with Surgical Steele it was damn good. It blended everything from over the years. I just preordered their new album and I havent bought an album in ages.

Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Obituary, and Morbid Angel are my big 4 of death metal. Morbid Angel's reunion with David Vincent was so bad though it knocked them down a peg in my book.

BTW I booked 4 30 minute lessons with Karl Sanders from Nile for $99. I cant wait for those.

love bolt thrower.....and any band into warhammer 40k is OK in my book.....and ClintN667-I met Trey once at a small show. I was drunk and told him he looked like he was turning into a goat in the where the slime lives video.....I remember him being kinda freaked out....good times..

Memoriam is hit or miss for me. Some of their songs Karl's voice sounds bad. It's I guess part of doing that kind of vocals. Although Jeff from Carcass sounds as good as he ever has.

Carcass is probably my favorite death metal band all around. Those guys pioneered several different subgenre and when they came back from a long hiatus with Surgical Steele it was damn good. It blended everything from over the years. I just preordered their new album and I havent bought an album in ages.

Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Obituary, and Morbid Angel are my big 4 of death metal. Morbid Angel's reunion with David Vincent was so bad though it knocked them down a peg in my book.

BTW I booked 4 30 minute lessons with Karl Sanders from Nile for $99. I cant wait for those.
Dude that's awesome, I saw him advertising lessons on IG. Nile crushes live.

Yeah Carcass is sick. They sound sooooo killer live. Surgical Steel is a great comeback album, let alone a great album in general. I'll have to check out their new release. Isn't there a new Obituary album coming too?

love bolt thrower.....and any band into warhammer 40k is OK in my book.....and ClintN667-I met Trey once at a small show. I was drunk and told him he looked like he was turning into a goat in the where the slime lives video.....I remember him being kinda freaked out....good times..
Morbid Angel lived in my home town. I am friends with Kirk from Buzzoven and there was some house all those guys used to hangout at. He said Richard Brunelle was a nice guy but quiet but he said it may have just been cause the "one guitarist who thought he was a 600 year old vampire would never shut up". I assume that was Trey.

Yeah Carcass is sick. They sound sooooo killer live. Surgical Steel is a great comeback album, let alone a great album in general. I'll have to check out their new release. Isn't there a new Obituary album coming too?
I started learning the Long and Winding Brier Road the past week or so that was on Carcass's last EP. I take lessons from Jon Bjork(Ola Englund's teacher) every other week and he was helping me with the intro. I dont think he listens to that type of music but he was really impressed with Carcass. I sent him a few songs off Necrotism, Heartwork, and Swan Song to get him started. I love Dethklok too so I appreciate the bands that are not just blast beats and cookie monster vocals.

I need to check out and see if Obituary has a new album released or when its coming. I love them for completely different reasons. They have almost Celtic Frost meets punk rock vibe that I love. I saw them in Charlotte a few years back and there was only like 20 people there. It was like seeing a band reheasal(they didnt even have a lead guitarist at this show so no leads). I was standing in front of Trevor and the whole time and was loving it. Without guitar solos it really did seem very punk rock. It was also awesome cause we were able to talk to them while playing. It was very casual kind of show.

Memoriam… yeah, their first 3 albums were not as good as I hoped they would be. However, their latest album is absolutely killer.
Everyone into old-school Death Metal should also check out the new Benediction album - by far their best one since Transcend The Rubicon.

Hey man, can you shoot me a message about your omega? Thanks.

I just picked up a GX700 effects processor. The guys in bolt thrower were using these with a solid state marshall power amp. Im trying to get the hang of dialing it in but so far I have to say the effects are pretty damn good for an old effects processor but then again I remember all the digitech, boss, etc being really good as a kid.

Anyway have any of you guys used one of these? Im using a friends settings now going into a Marshall Power amp capture in the quad cortex with a Marshall v30 cab impulse and Im pretty happy so far. Im still not there yet with the sound I want but its getting there.

I was wanting to get tones like my favorite Death Metal bands so with the Quad Cortex or my V2 Caldera I can get the Obituary tone pretty easy, carcass is pretty easy as well with the QC or my Karakatou Colossus Preamp but even with my Mark IV I get tones Im happy with playing their tunes with. Bolt Thrower for some reason Ive never been happy with. To me they are kind of like the Iron Maiden of death metal but every time I played their songs it just didnt have my tone nailed down enough to where it made it sound right. Last night was the first time I felt like "I can use this"

Last thing I would like to be able to do is get a Morbid Angel tone. I know they used rats and JCM900's but I have yet to get anything that seems believable.

One side note is there was a preset called Metal Zone on the GX700 and damn if it wasnt a great tone for megadeth songs. Not sure if it came with the unit or if it was the previous owner's preset.

I definitely have my own personal tone but its fun to play a cover of a band and have the tone sound close. After I get Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel down I am going to move to another genre and get some sounds dialed in. Maybe some alternative type tones where I can use fuzzes or distortion types I usually dont use.
Any chance you could share your QC captures/ presets of the GX700/ Bolt Thrower tones? I just checked the Cortex Cloud app for the GX700 and came up empty. Somehow though I stumbled onto this old thread while googling the GX700. I'd be grateful as hell.

Any chance you could share your QC captures/ presets of the GX700/ Bolt Thrower tones? I just checked the Cortex Cloud app for the GX700 and came up empty. Somehow though I stumbled onto this old thread while googling the GX700. I'd be grateful as hell.
I don't have the QC anymore. Sorry I never made any captures.

Back