Any current or former Gretsch guitar players here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
angelspade

angelspade

Well-known member
I don't read much about them here...I have been looking at a few of the mid-priced semi-hollow streamliner series models with a bigsby...Anyone with any experience...Thoughts on build quality, finnish and reliability? Thanks guys.



1787758372934.png
1787758412685.png
 
I played Gretsch guitars from 2001 on until maybe 5 years ago.

The uptick in build quality - it got SO MUCH better post FMIC taking over distro - was still not enough to offset the cost to upgrade the electronics (my opinion).

I had Professional series stuff, wanted to upgrade to TVJ or Seymour pickups, quality switches & wiring...took a $3k guitar up to nearly $4k. Similar with the Electromatic series. $7-800 turns into a $1500 guitar that you will never get if/when you decide to sell. The 2020s guitars I've played are overall MUCH better, but I haven't owned one so I can't comment.

I love 'em, but they're not for me, ultimately.
 
I played a FMIC era MIJ take on a '55 White Falcon in a country band for a while. It had dynasonics, not humbuckers. No bigsby.

Fit and finish was fine. Reliability was fine. Playability was OK but I had 11s on it. It could have used slightly bigger frets IMO. Tone was decent but it just ended up being the wrong solution and I wanted to play a guitar with Certano benders so I stopped using it.
 
Hell yeah! Currently looking for a Jet like Malcolm’s. I traded this Streamliner back to by brother for a vintage Danelectro we shared as kids.
IMG_3157.jpeg
 
I've got this guy. It's not my most played guitar but it definitely does something none of my other guitars do. I'd love a solid body Gretsch, too.
 
The streamliners are nice guitars. My local shop when open carried Gretsch and I got to try both streamliner and electromatics. Like any import guitar line, they was some standouts. I played two electromatic models right by side and one was great, the other was dull and bland. So try before you buy or be able to return.

I have a pre Fender Distribution 2003 Brian Sezter hot rod that I put in TV jones, its great. I also have a 2022 duo jet players edition with dynasonics, also a great guitar. Only quibble with the jet is that the design is such that no aftermarket pickups are available and the middle position is not hum canceling.
 
I have one gretsch now. I kept the wrong one. There was this baritone. It played so smooth so comfortable. Had a jungle that I havent been able to replicate when I plugged right in to a blues jr with jensen speaker.

Ended up getting nabbed I think it was a mid tier/cost new (I found this at local mom n pops store).

I still have one of their 400 or 500 dollar models. Non baritone. No qc issues I found. Played fine right out of the box. Just not as amazing as that baritone sadly. I dont play it much though, I have this reverend guitar. Semi hollow but sealed off so I get more ass on the sound without acoustics in the room.

Edit: I dont whammy much let alone dive. I fiddle with the bigsby on reverend and gretsch. Seems fine. I messed around and dont remember it ruining tuning so must be decent?
 
Last edited:
Not really a traditional Gretsch but technically a Gretsch. I think I got it for $300 brand new. I liked it and the stock pickup was pretty cool. I don’t have it anymore since I like my First Act more and don’t like to keep too much extra stuff around.

 
The streamliners are nice guitars. My local shop when open carried Gretsch and I got to try both streamliner and electromatics. Like any import guitar line, they was some standouts. I played two electromatic models right by side and one was great, the other was dull and bland. So try before you buy or be able to return.

I have a pre Fender Distribution 2003 Brian Sezter hot rod that I put in TV jones, its great. I also have a 2022 duo jet players edition with dynasonics, also a great guitar. Only quibble with the jet is that the design is such that no aftermarket pickups are available and the middle position is not hum canceling.
First, I get it but man the Dynasonics on my Guild x175 sound so gorgeous I don't care.

Second, TV Jones makes OG mount Dynasonic clones, and am pretty sure you could get a rwrp set. I have one of the English mount versions that fits the HB mount in my SG. It's one of my favorite pickups ever.
 
First, I get it but man the Dynasonics on my Guild x175 sound so gorgeous I don't care.

Second, TV Jones makes OG mount Dynasonic clones, and am pretty sure you could get a rwrp set. I have one of the English mount versions that fits the HB mount in my SG. It's one of my favorite pickups ever.
Here is the guitar I have. https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...players-edition-jet-ds-with-bigsby/2403502872

I checked with TV jones and they don't have a dynasonic pickup of any mount that will work as the stock pickups are too thin. Its all good, the guitar sounds great. I also love the master volume with treble bleed feature, very useful.

I do love the TV jones Filtertron and filterton plus I put in my 2003 Brian Setzer hot rod, those pickups transformed the guitar and the stock pickups were solid to begin with.
 
Not really a traditional Gretsch but technically a Gretsch. I think I got it for $300 brand new. I liked it and the stock pickup was pretty cool. I don’t have it anymore since I like my First Act more and don’t like to keep too much extra stuff around.


I actually really dig those tones.
 
I'm a through-and-through Gretsch guy, lol. I won't buy Chinese stuff - I gave them one last chance in December, but my Abbey Road had too many QC issues including a misaligned, pinned bridge. They are pumping out some pretty decent guitars though, I'd just recommend not buying sight unseen.

If you're not going MiJ, the Korean stuff is great too. You'll be upgrading either Korean or Chinese to the tune of a used MiJ in price though, if you want that exact sound. If you're just looking for close enough, the world is your oyster. My only real words of caution are avoid lesser models with tension bars unless you want to spend money or time solving tuning issues. I've had decent luck with the cheaper Bigsby without tension bars, however.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top