Anyone built a guitar from Warmoth parts?

Turned out great :rock: I’m working on a Tele build as we speak.

GRkS1e0.pngl

W8LIcGq.pngl

4gPWsjy.jpgl

I have owned a strat with a warmoth neck and loved it. I have no reason to believe that anything else of theirs
would be different. Quality stuff.

The only bad thing about building one is resale value. You will lose your ass on resale.

I've played a few that were for sale, they played and sounded great. But, these guys wanted custom shop money for them and as previously mentioned, they just don't sell for much. 5-600 tops it seems. No chance I'd offer even close to what they were asking.

My advice is keep an eye on reverb/here/craigslist for Warmoth guitars that someone already put together. You can save big time money off it, and usually find something that is 80% of the way of where you want it to be. Then, just switch out the parts that you want to change.

sutepaj":1mhlg30s said:
My advice is keep an eye on reverb/here/craigslist for Warmoth guitars that someone already put together. You can save big time money off it, and usually find something that is 80% of the way of where you want it to be. Then, just switch out the parts that you want to change.
Thats a good idea, but I was thinking of doing a build project from scratch. Getting the exact parts I wanted, and really take some time getting it dialed in as far as setup.
I wouldn't resell it, I know you'd loose your ass on your investment, but I'm good with that, I tend to keep stuff forever.
I appreciate the responses, its good to know that some of you have done this and had good results :thumbsup:

LP Freak":33e8q159 said:
Turned out great :rock: I’m working on a Tele build as we speak.

GRkS1e0.pngl

W8LIcGq.pngl

4gPWsjy.jpgl
Nice!
That is similar to what I was thinking, but a stacked single coil in the neck position with a coil tap, soloist body, same neck with SS frets, and the same bridge. Also a Lester pup selector switch. I can't decide on a HB in the bridge or a P90 wound slightly hotter than normal. Also, 2 volumes with no tone control with the bridge volume in front

The best thing you can do is order the body with no controls drilled and drill them yourself. That way you’re not stuck with the standard locations that Warmoth drills them.

Also, their chambered bodys sound awesome and are super light. My Strat is under 7 lbs. That’s light for a mahogany body.

Here’s the Tele I’m working on.

cOdHtOg.jpgl

lTKxg5o.jpgl

fiVqhFf.jpgl

LP Freak":39t0ylt4 said:
The best thing you can do is order the body with no controls drilled and drill them yourself. That way you’re not stuck with the standard locations that Warmoth drills them.

Also, their chambered bodys sound awesome and are super light. My Strat is under 7 lbs. That’s light for a mahogany body.

Here’s the Tele I’m working on.

cOdHtOg.jpgl

lTKxg5o.jpgl

fiVqhFf.jpgl
Thats gonna be killer!
I think I'd do the controls, but I'll let them do the bridge hardware just so I can't screw it up :LOL: :LOL:

I've built a bakers dozen of them for myself and others. As parts they are top notch. But as a completed guitar, imo, it comes down to how good you are or your luthier is at set ups. You can have the best parts in the world, but a bad setup will make you think they are junk...

GOHOINC":2f4oec5r said:
I've built a bakers dozen of them for myself and others. As parts they are top notch. But as a completed guitar, imo, it comes down to how good you are or your luthier is at set ups. You can have the best parts in the world, but a bad setup will make you think they are junk...
Agreed, that's actually what I'm most worried about in this endeavor. I have no doubts I can get close if the parts together were cut right to start with, but if people were saying they had trouble right out of the gate, I would be much more concerned. They must be at least close enough that the right guy could make it very good without drastic measures. That does seem to be the case. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I do expect it to be very good when completed. At the bare minimum, worth the money I have invested in it ;)

Probably worth some additional thought. I've built a few and am extremely happy. As mentioned, parts are top-notch and designed to work together well. However, the instant joy you feel when you pick up a great guitar is in the finer details established through the luthiery. With that, they are a bargain. Without that, you could spend $1K and not be as happy as you would have been compared to a mass-produced instrument.

GOHOINC":18hwbwle said:
I agree. I’ve built ones that went together extremely well and others needed a little TLC...mostly in the fret department. I’ve since learned to level and crown frets so it’s rather simple now. I installed the neck on my Tele build last night and it was perfect. The nut was cut right, neck alignment was right, no high frets, nothing. In fact the relief was oven right on the money, I couldn’t believe it. But they’re not all that easy so you do need skills to do the assembly and set up.

marl3y":2pz73i3p said:
Probably worth some additional thought. I've built a few and am extremely happy. As mentioned, parts are top-notch and designed to work together well. However, the instant joy you feel when you pick up a great guitar is in the finer details established through the luthiery. With that, they are a bargain. Without that, you could spend $1K and not be as happy as you would have been compared to a mass-produced instrument.
Agreed, and I totally get this is only going to be as good as the final setup is. I think Im realistic in my expectations. I have quite a few amazing guitars and I dont expect it to be any of them, but I do expect it to play well and stay in tune. I have a guy who can make it really good barring any weird stuff
I appreciate the responses :thumbsup:

Have you thought about finding a luthier to do a custom build? I have known of quite a guys who have done this in the past and been happy with the results.

All depends on the builder, and unfortunately I don't remember who any of the builders names are.

swamptrashstompboxes":2auttxe5 said:
Have you thought about finding a luthier to do a custom build? I have known of quite a guys who have done this in the past and been happy with the results.

All depends on the builder, and unfortunately I don't remember who any of the builders names are.
Not really, Ive wanted to do one of these myself for years. While Im sure there are some great ones out there, that's really a ways above my criteria for this project ;)

Back