Anyone find the Tweaker 88 dark? Tried it live?

keano

Curious if anyone has found the Tweaker 88 dark? And also if anyone has used it in a live band situation? Does it cut or get lost? I am sure cab can make a difference. I know Egnaters are dark by nature.

yes I found it dark too. I kept it for a month and only did one band practice with it. The amp just sounded flat and didn't cut well with the band. The amp sounded best with my strat but I play mostly Hums, so I sent it back. I really think the amp needs a presence controll to add some sparkle. I was running the treble as high as 3 oclock, the amp never gets thrill or to bright but, in the end didn't like it. I have tweaker 15 and that is a dark sounding amp to IMHO but I like it in that amp. Disapointed :cry:

I played it through a marshall 4x12 1960a cab ( Gt-75 celestions) and at home I use a THD 2x12, loaded with a vintage 30 and 12h celestion. I wanted to like the amp. I loved the boost feature and will miss it.

I love the tone alone also and features. Just alone maybe to thick and dark. Maybe I'll go back to 5153 but a 50watt

I have an old 5150 head,(peavey) 50 watt head? you mean the fender EVH 5153 micro head, right? I just worry about the micro 5153 head sharing the first channel. Looks cool

my brother got to go to namm, he played it there and didn't like it. But you never know till you try it. Buy and send it back if you don't like it, its the only way. the guitar stores don't carry anything (special order bull shit)

I like to add that this forum is lame and frustrates me, no other tweak 88 guys out there?

I have had mine for about a month, and yes found the amp to be too dark. Sent it to my tech to mod, I can now run EL34's or 6L6's Or the KT88's. I'm running it with 2 Tung-Sol EL34B's, swapped out the 3 Ruby Ax7's for Tung-Sol Ax7's and using a custom 2 x 12 cab with Celestion V30's and this amp really sounds great now. The funny thing is, I usually don't like V30's but with this setup it really works well . A bit of stuffing around and $200 worth of tubes and mod BUT IT WAS WORTH IT....:)

keano":22nrpmul said:
What were you using before cab wise

I was using a Peavey 5150 quad, then tried a 2 x 12 with greenbacks and finally settled on the 2 x 12 v30's, sounds just like what I had hoped it would, warm but with plenty of bite..:).

I tried PRS with 30's and like the sound in the store but don't know how that is live. Great in shop though lol.

jamme61":9lrrub23 said:
my brother got to go to namm, he played it there and didn't like it. But you never know till you try it. Buy and send it back if you don't like it, its the only way. the guitar stores don't carry anything (special order bull shit)

I like to add that this forum is lame and frustrates me, no other tweak 88 guys out there?
most people just come here to bitch, the "clubs" are over at thegearpage

Back