Anyone have an amp with a half power/low voltage switch?

N

Nigel

This Rivera has one that goes from 440 to 220.

I underbiased it so that at full power it's at 32 watts a tube, and at 220 it's at about 13.7.

Half power is a 15 watt mode, and man, it's like Van Halen/Mick Mars/Nuno in a 1x12 combo. Holy shit!

Anyone else into the variac / low B+ / underbias life?

This Rivera has one that goes from 440 to 220.

I underbiased it so that at full power it's at 32 watts a tube, and at 220 it's at about 13.7.

Half power is a 15 watt mode, and man, it's like Van Halen/Mick Mars/Nuno in a 1x12 combo. Holy shit!

Anyone else into the variac / low B+ / underbias life?
70 VAC on a JCM800, with 2 6CA7's pulled, is the shit.

I don’t like it. I hate the looseness and Van Halen thing - it’s just not for me.

Instead I’m going up in B+ To keep things tight and aggressive.

I don’t like it. I hate the looseness and Van Halen thing - it’s just not for me.

Agreed,
I have a Metropoulos DVL-1 and I much prefer FULL power without the Variac engaged.
Punch and tightness are important to me.
Now, I can understand how some would love the variac’d tone, but not me… at least for now.

Word. I'm gonna get another Zinky Mofo with stock trannys to cathode bias. I love 550V but need the tubes at 100% so you get the brown glory of underbias with the high voltage liveliness. It shall be Godly.

Word. I'm gonna get another Zinky Mofo with stock trannys to cathode bias. I love 550V but need the tubes at 100% so you get the brown glory of underbias with the high voltage liveliness. It shall be Godly.

To keep my 6550s happy at 520V fixed bias I’m probably going ultra linear so they’ll survive. The screens are what can’t take it normally. I’m designing a circuit to feed the screens 300V or so seperately.

To keep my 6550s happy at 520V fixed bias I’m probably going ultra linear so they’ll survive. The screens are what can’t take it normally. I’m designing a circuit to feed the screens 300V or so seperately.
I wonder if Zinky did that with the Supro Mofo 72. It gets 72 watts out of two Sovtek 5881s.

Back