Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

Delivered today:

MCP - Awayu
Bareknuckles - Rebel Yell
WCR - Fillmore
WCR - wire and pot kit for all Les Pauls

Off to Eric's Guitar Repair in Van Nuys to instal and set up guitars.

Yeah!

stephen sawall":2swf0q0n said:
James Lugo":2swf0q0n said:
titanamps":2swf0q0n said:
do yourself a favor and install some form of quick connectors on the guitars and the pickups. it will make swapping them much faster and easier. fewer burned up pots, too.

What are those? Link?

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Accesso ... CTIVE.html

I think you could make something like this so you just plug the pickup in. This would make changing them out much faster.

It's a idea anyway. If you have that many pickups.

Is there someone else that makes something like this ?

And maybe even have a few extra mounting rings so someone can prepare them with wiring, clips and rings. That way you'd only have to undo/do 2 screws and the clips

Giga.

Great idea btw !!

WCR Iron Man is HERE!

I hired guitar tech, Eric Gorsch (sp?) to run the whole shootout. He's grabbing the guitar and all the pickups next Thursday and gonna set up a system so the sound is spot on and the change out time is as quick as possible.

I want to thank everyone for being into this and encouraging and sending pickups.

James Lugo":356bg1fo said:
WCR Iron Man is HERE!

I hired guitar tech, Eric Gorsch (sp?) to run the whole shootout. He's grabbing the guitar and all the pickups next Thursday and gonna set up a system so the sound is spot on and the change out time is as quick as possible.

I want to thank everyone for being into this and encouraging and sending pickups.

I doubt the BBQ will be there by Thursday as it is going ground and won't actually start its journey till Monday. I dropped it off at Fedex on Saturday, but they don't start its process for ground until Monday.

blackba":2unqd35g said:
James Lugo":2unqd35g said:
WCR Iron Man is HERE!

I doubt the BBQ will be there by Thursday as it is going ground and won't actually start its journey till Monday. I dropped it off at Fedex on Saturday, but they don't start its process for ground until Monday.

If not, no prob it will still be in the shootout either way. Thanks for sending this, so many people emailed me when this started and said we had to have a BBQ, so thanks for making it happen. I pick up my Les Pauls from Eric's Guitars tomorrow, he installed the WCR wiring and pot package in all of them, I tried to even the playing field. Even though the actually shootout is going to be one guitar I'm also going to be swapping pups out of other Pauls of mine to find what's the best combo for me personally in my own guitar. I have 3 main Pauls and I want 3 different sounds, one for metal, one more traditional sounding and something else, maybe something in between, I'll know it when I hear it.

p.s. Eric's Guitars and the tech Erik Gorsch are 2 different people. Eric's Guitars are the guys who have fixed and set up my guitars for years and Erik Gorsch is a tech friend of my head engineer and Dave Friedman who is going to tech at the shootout. So, 2 Eric's, twice the soldiering. :D

FixXxer":hvaoqhlo said:
What is your criteria for reviewing the pickups, and do you have an order your going to do them in?

No set order, people can download and listen how they want. Each pup will have about a 3 minute track, consisting of three performance lined up one after another.

1. A double track heavy rhythm with either the HBE or my Herbert (with full song)
2. Middle of the road single rock rhythm with some lead using the a BE Marshall (with full song)
3. Solo guitar clean into my Deluxe reverb

It's going to give everyone a pretty good idea of what's what. Clean, heavy, middle of the road and lead.

eternal_idol":1ei1muxe said:
can you compair the roll off to clean from the marshall clips as well.

thanks
Brae

I will see, it's gonna be a lot of work and down studio time as it is. I had only planned on possibly doing that with the Fender amp. I'll see.

Just set up the recording template. This is gonna be awesome. All the pickups will track the same sequences, total run time 3:22; clean, medium rhythm, heavy and lead.

You will be able to import this into your DAW; playlist and mute back and forth and really hear the difference of each pickup.

:rock:

I have a SD Pearly Gates if you were interested in something more vintage sounding for your test. I may be in Long Beach around that time also.
Aloha, Rob.

Back