audio interfaces

Universal Audo Apollo Twin Mk II for the last year
Apogee Duet for many years prior.
Only made the change due to wanting a 3rd and 4th output. The Twin is great stuff, quality all around.

I was a long time user of an RME Fireface 800, 10 years and then it conked off on me. I was shattered.

I then bought a Universal Audio Apollo 8p. It is absolutely amazing to be able to use the DSP on a hardware device and take the strain off your PC. And the UAD plugins are awesome, especially their preamps, but also things like their Ocean Way Studios plugin. I also plan on picking up one of those Townsend Labs mics one of these days.

The Fireface was just sitting in storage for a while and then I got the bright idea of sending it in for repair. Cost a tonne because they had to replace the motherboard, but now that it's back, I am really stoked.

Unfortunately, the repair cost so much that I would lose a lot of money if I sold it. Stupid of me to repair something based on nostalgia value. But like others have said, the RME stuff is supported for decades, they keep putting out firmware updates. I figure I'll use it for a portable recording/live solution with a laptop.

Just went from a Tascam UH7000 to an Audient ID44 last week. Love the Tascam, but needed more inputs. The Audient is great so far.

I have 2 music production rigs. For the more serious one, I have an RME Fireface 800. I love it.

For the portable music rig, I was between a Scarlett 2i2 and Audient iD4 after a little light reading. But then a friend sold me his Scarlett Solo, so that's what I have. I also love it. Pres aren't as nice as the RME but it's not fair to really compare the two in any way shape or form. :D

Back