Back in the Mark IV owners club

kmanick

I really missed my old "B" short head so I 've been on the hunt for one for a while and finally found one at a not ridiculous price.
Even came with a road case.
arrived today , I need a cab with V30's because this is not a great match for greenback type of speakers.
Also anyone that has one of these , I'm getting a "pop" when going into my lead channel anyone know how to remedy that? I think cycling through the channels in stand by if I recall?
This one is "B" as well, thankfully everything is working (you never know with these older amps), I'll do a total retube shortly to make sure I have no issues there and clean everything up (contact cleaner) anyone know if these front knobs just pull straight off? I want to get at those pots as well but they seem to on there pretty good.
IMG_5109.jpg

Glad you tracked one down! How are you digging it so far? What are you planning on putting in it for tubes?

Glad you tracked one down! How are you digging it so far? What are you planning on putting in it for tubes?
I used JJ's in the previous one I had with no issues, I have all sorts of preamp tubes to work with, I really don't know what I'll throw in there.

I really missed my old "B" short head so I 've been on the hunt for one for a while and finally found one at a not ridiculous price.
Even came with a road case.
arrived today , I need a cab with V30's because this is not a great match for greenback type of speakers.
Also anyone that has one of these , I'm getting a "pop" when going into my lead channel anyone know how to remedy that? I think cycling through the channels in stand by if I recall?
This one is "B" as well, thankfully everything is working (you never know with these older amps), I'll do a total retube shortly to make sure I have no issues there and clean everything up (contact cleaner) anyone know if these front knobs just pull straight off? I want to get at those pots as well but they seem to on there pretty good.
View attachment 284609
Did you loosen the set screw on each knob ?

So apparently this particular head is a "transitional " one from "A" to "B' serial # V6030. 200 of these were supposedly made before they went to the final "B" version?
Can anyone tell me how you guys get in touch with Mike B? I may want to send this to him for the "once over" as it seems to be a rarer one

One of my favorite amps, ever. A local GC has one for $1999 and I’m almost considering trading my Shiva and DRRI in for it because that’s probably the last time I’ll see one for under $2K.

Congrats!!!!!

One of my favorite amps, ever. A local GC has one for $1999 and I’m almost considering trading my Shiva and DRRI in for it because that’s probably the last time I’ll see one for under $2K.

Congrats!!!!!
I saw the one on GC but it says "fair" condition. that coming from GC could mean a trainwreck. the prices on these have gone nuts :(

Pops are common among Boogies when switching channels. Especially older ones.
I haven't played mine in a bit, but will plug in this weekend and see how bad the pops is. I usually don't do much switching with it.

Mike B told me about a month ago he's not working on IVs anymore. Sorry bud.
So apparently this particular head is a "transitional " one from "A" to "B' serial # V6030. 200 of these were supposedly made before they went to the final "B" version?
Can anyone tell me how you guys get in touch with Mike B? I may want to send this to him for the "once over" as it seems to be a rarer one

this "pop" going into lead mode would make this amp non giggable, I need to figure this out, the cycling through the channels in stand by didn't do anything.
It sounds sooooo good, even through the Scumbacks
I can't wait until I run it through a recto cab

I saw the one on GC but it says "fair" condition. that coming from GC could mean a trainwreck. the prices on these have gone nuts :(

I didn’t plug into it because my bank account would have been pissed, but it looks to be in great condition from seeing it in person. I’m actually taking the Shiva somewhere I can crank the shit out of it tonight and depending on how that goes, I’m either going to keep it or flip it towards a IV….or a JPIIC+, but I already know I love the IV.

I do like that comparison. Remember years back hearing it and ordering the JP2C when it came out. If you don’t care about the shared channels and one 5 band eq, the IV lead channel smokes the JP2C imo.

The JP2C is still a killer amp but the third channel on the VII sounded really good. It might be time for them to revisit and release a JP2C MK2 ha. Maybe I can’t accept Petrucci’s best tone days are behind him. Scenes, 6 degrees, ToT (I know road king). Anyway, congrats on finding a IV!

Nice score. Apparently those transitional heads are not much different than a typical B revision circuit wise, but they do have a lot of the older components that the A revision uses. The Mark IV may be my favourite amp ever, I like it more than the Mark III red stripe I owned.

Back