Back in the tube amp game with a bang, which fourth amp?

PaintChipsAreVegan

Banned
IMG_8330.jpeg
Hey all,

After about 10 years of the axe now, I’m starting to amass a stable of tube amps again.

As can be seen, I didn’t really hold back when doing so. Oops

Anyways, I plan to add one more. Clearly, I have a particular taste. But I would like some variance.

I’d like something different but complementary. Perhaps something with a bit more of a dry gain than these, perhaps more percussiveness and saturation?

Any ideas? Current contenders are:

Spawn Nitro 100
Fryette D120
Friedman BE100
Mesa Mark V or VII

Last edited:
Dry, percussive - Fryette Deliverance
Better option, imo - Wizard MC
Punchy and as raw or saturated as you want, Ground Zero MOAB, maybe Hellion, haven't played one yet.

I’ll add here that judging by your amps you are into the heavies like me. A deliverance you will need a boost to do what you want it to. Marks don’t do it for me for extreme metal if that’s what you’re into. The modded Marshall’s like gower and Monomyth get REAL aggressive though.

Wizard, Deliverance, all good choices.....loud, rude and punchy af......old Superlead (or a reissue HW version) and a pedal can be cool too...any of these are nice changeups to what you have.

For something different, I'd look at the Mesa Mark VII. Got one in December (my first Mark series) and it's different and great.

If you do look at Splawn further, I'd consider a Quick Rod over a Nitro. It will be more different than what you already have. And yeah, I'm super curious about the new Gibson Mark 7. :D No, but seriously - welcome back to the tube side, may the force be with you.

I've been playing a lot of axe fx too but I still love my jj100. I don't think any of those four are bad choices but i think the Friedman would pair well with your others. You might consider the be50 if you want a cleaner clean channel.

Off the topic..I wanna damn herbert. I wanted to like herbert. But, I couldn't gel with herbert. I don't know why..strange
Of those 3, the Herbert is the most finicky to dial in imo. You can get some pretty harsh ice picky highs and fizz if you don’t watch the presence, mid cut, and gain.

But when dialed in right, I love it. That said, the diezel sound is a pretty unique one, and I can see many valid reasons some wouldn’t like the inherent voicing.

All of these will be different from the compressed/saturated/processed thing ya have in those amps already. The Hellion does that or a much more raw tone/feel and everything in between.

Hellion
Fryette--CLX is the best of their line IMO
Splawn
Wizard MC--100-----50--40---25 whatever.
Mark II, III
Morris Perplexed
Peters
Marshall whatever and a boost

Off the topic..I wanna damn herbert. I wanted to like herbert. But, I couldn't gel with herbert. I don't know why..strange
OT to actual thread but - ya, this was my experience with the Mk.I Herbert... haven't tried a Mk.III but also don't feel the need to. Bases - covered - but back to the OP...

Get something fkn weird and raunchy man, I'm sticking to my Knucklehead KTre - if ya haven't tried one yet - do yourself a favour.

Back