Bad Cat Lynx - undiscovered gem of their line

I talked to bad cat last year about special ordering a 100 watt lynx. The 50 watt lynx is probably the best amp I've ever played through. At the time they said 2 existed. One belongs to billy joe from green day and one belongs to mark tremonti.

lowmantotempole":23unvhf8 said:
Loved my Lynx. I had a BadCat 4x12 with it. I would have kept it if I could have gotten an FX loop for a decent price. I remember asking for a quote once and got some rediculous price, so I ditched the head. I also didn't like the connectors for the footswitch. Those little screws kept coming loose and eventually came out resulting in the connectors falling apart.

I absolutely loved the cleans. I still have the 4x12. I kept it because the BadCat modified Celestion V30s are the S#!@... Even though the cab weighs 100lbs. Yeah that's right, 100lbs! It's always been my favorite.

I will definitely get another one (with an FX Loop) someday!

:rock:

necro%20bump_zpsod5pgyp4.jpg

Bad Cat LYNX incoming

Necrobump
Is the point to point Lynx 50 a real high gain amp with what seems to be a blend of Soldano and hot rodded Marshall ? Is it capable of some heavy lifts à la Uberschall and Marshall KK ?

Attachments

• 4202949 (1).jpg
    4202949 (1).jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 31
Bad Cat is on the 3rd or 4th product with the name Lynx and I think they are all completely different amps. I think the original Lynx is a less metal sounding high gain amp probably in the vein of their other offerings at the time with more gain. Then they made the Lynx X recently which came in I think two versions but was only made for a year or two before they revamped the entire brand to all PCB amps. The current Lynx seems like a total ripper with some interesting features.

Yeah, the first gen feels like a boutique Marshall with access to useable high gain and great cleans. I found that the clean channel would bleed into the gain channel at lower volume unless the clean vol was all the way down which was annoying. The Lynx X just felt like a bad version of the original. Dark lifeless gain channel with the Clean channel (and pushing it) being the best thing about it. Also those have unbuffered and nearly useless FX loops. No idea on the new gen outside of demos that sound really good if not a seemingly deliberate departure from rodded-Marshall to more modern voicing. As an side, I got the new Hot Cat and in addition to being way better than I expected, it captures more of the spirit of the original Lynx IMO.

Back