Bad Monkey

MrDowntown

Troubleshooting: Bad Monkey pedal allows clean amp/guitar to pass through it. once i hit the pedal, the red light comes on but kills the guitar/amp tone... completely silent.

I've tried it with the adapter and a fresh 9v battery...same results with both.

the pedal used to work...hadn't used it in a while. just pulled it out and viola... nothing!

appreciate any feedback.

is it worth trying to salvage... ? they aren't very expensive.
i'd be willing to try if anybody knows there way around one of these and could share a little wisdom

If it’s all surface mount components than probably not. If it’s through hole than might be worth a shot. With the right equipment it’s about 30 to 60 minutes to fix and about $10 worth of parts. (Including shipping). That is assuming it’s a cap or op amp.

They seem to be around the $50 mark used.

I appreciate you chiming in...

holy shit
I took the board out just to nose around....I couldn’t fix that friggin thing if I knew where the faulty component was. 😂 ...I can’t hardly see the GD numbers stamped on the board

Push on each part with a toothpick while playing to see if you get sound. You might find a part with a weak solder joint you can just heat up.

I had this happen on a MXR pedal once. Found a resistor that wasn't soldered well. I pushed on it and the sound would kick in. I just heated up the solder, and it has worked fine ever since.

Back