Bad "The Axe Palace" Experience

That owner is a liar, thief and scumbag, and can eat the shit out of a dead donkey's maggot-infested rectum, as far as I'm concerned.

Should call it The Jackass Palace.

Yes, he tried to pull a fast one on me, but I wasn't having it. That fucker.

Simple pickup order turned into a 7 month knock down drag out deal. The guy just lied through his teeth during the whole thing and was an ego maniac to boot. I eventually got the pup and got it for free because I raised hell.

MetalHeadMike":3u2sztu8 said:
Simple pickup order turned into a 7 month knock down drag out deal. The guy just lied through his teeth during the whole thing and was an ego maniac to boot. I eventually got the pup and got it for free because I raised hell.
Well done, Mike. :gethim:

Monkey Man":xo3u49mx said:
Please do tell, guys.

That's 3 non-stories already. :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

I bought a "Brand New", full-price Fireball 100 that had obvious signs of use and arrived in a Mesa Boogie box.

First, he lied and blamed his shipper on using the wrong box. Then lied again, (since I wondered WTF it was out of the box to begin with), and said they lost the original box. Then, he tried to say Engl doesn't honor warranties, unless they are opened and inspected. So he wanted me to believe they opened it, inspected it, and threw the box away? That's a crock of shit.. You expect me to believe an amp company is going to warranty an amp that's been molested?? Reboxed? I didn't even get a power cord for crying out loud.. No manual, no spare tubes, nothing, which comes with every Engl, brand new, sealed.

He told so many lies, Pinocchio would be jealous.

Then, after I returned it, the cocksucker relisted it as, get this.... "Brand New"

Truly unbelievable. This is happening everywhere you turn these days. Seriously, what the hell is going on?

you’ve got the shady builders whether it be cabs, amps or guitars, the shady shops, both online and in person, the crooked buyers and sellers online, and the shysters on reverb doing the “partial refund,” scam.

I have grown to despise this like few things ever before in my life. There is nothin worse than a thief!!! The worst is when guitarists rob/ steal from other guitarists. To me, that is just despicable behavior. How could you ever enjoy picking up and playing a guitar that you stole or used an act of subterfuge to acquire? These losers doing this are scum.

Resurrecting this as I'm considering placing an order with them for a Dover soon. Who is the person you guys had bad experiences with, so I know? I don't take dropping $2k on any piece of gear lightly, so I want to know it'll be a smooth transaction.

Mine was with Nick. Think he might have been the owner at the time maybe....just me assuming though. Many many many people were swinging off the guys nuts over on SS, but my experience...he was rude, egotistical as they come, & dishonest. The initial order went great and he acted the nice guy...then ounce I started inquiring after like 3-4 months of waiting for a pickup, he showed his true self and it was nothing but pure douchery and lies.

First time dealing with them I got some BKP’s and sent my guitar there for installation . They called me when it was done and ready to ship but I had specifically requested the pickups be wired a certain way (JP6 pickup wiring ) . They didn’t do what I asked and was given an attitude about it/told it was impossible to do. “The guitar is already boxed up ready to go”. He’s an ahole and you’re better off with Rainbow Guitars or Sweetwater. Never had a bad experience with those two. Rainbow guitars has an awesome group of techs that’ll do just about anything for your guitar. Axe Palace wouldn’t even unbox the damn guitar to do the work I paid for. Just simply said it can’t be done, which I know bs.

He said some more off putting things over the phone but it’s been years at this point so I can’t recall what it was. Sure he’ll give you a deal but do you really want to put up with that crap?

Oh yes, this place.

12/2/2019 -- ordered a custom G&L guitar, paid $1k via Affirm loan
12/27/2019 -- made first payment on loan and continued making timely payments on guitar through April 2020
(gave some covid19 leeway but did not hear anything after several emails to Axe Palace) and multiple phone calls with reassurances from Nick that he "just got off the phone with G&L and the guitar will be shipping immediately"
May 2020 -- filed dispute with Affirm after merchant would not accept receipt of my emails and obviously no tracking number or evidence of any guitar shipping
Augu 2020 -- even called G&L factory to explain and ask if they received any custom orders, they said they weren't producing the model anymore (G&L SC-2). By August 2020, in his first written response and probably because I called the G&L factory and they took down the name of his company he finally wrote back that something "went awry" with my order and he was going to get to the bottom of it (I threatened to contact Mass. attorney general) and he issued a full refund, which he did but tied up my money for 9 months.

It is either just a mess or a scam or both.

Would never do business with anyone that irresponsible ever again.

Wow , I am shocked to see all of these comments.
The Axe Palace is 15 minutes away from my house, I use their lead tech Victor all the time.
You couldn't ask for a more accommodating guy, their other tech Nesto is just as cool.
I've bought several custom order guitars through them (even a BRJ before the sh*t storm started)
and never had any issue with these guys. I've known Nick since 2005 when the Axe palace was just an Idea
and he was the first dealer on the east coast distributing Bareknuckle pick ups. he's even sold guitars for me through their reverb site that I didn't want to deal with.
Sorry to hear these stories guys, I'd love to hear Nicks side of them.
so 6 bad deals vs how many happy customers? he must be doing something right their orders fly out as fast as they come in,
not excusing anything here , just trying to keep some perspective.

It's really sad to see this vitriolic nonsense is still being spewed here. We've never once in our history screwed over a single customer, not try to make things right whenever a mistake was made, refused a refund, etc. Several people posting in this thread are mentally unstable and outright lying. We have thousands of rave reviews on just about every marketplace/review site on the internet, for a good reason. Before listening to miserable trolls, do your own research.

@napalmdeath: I can't believe 5 years later you're still ranting and lying about this. One final time: We shipped you a brand new ENGL Fireball. You were enraged that we shipped the amp in a different box due to the original box incurring damage. That does not make it a used amp. Nonetheless, we promptly refunded you once you complained, so what is the issue? The level of hatred and vitriol you have for someone who sent you a brand new product, and refunded you once you complained, borders on insanity. We've been an ENGL dealer for 10 years, and no one ever had an issue with any amp we've shipped out, other than you. Seek mental help, immediately.

@njhelmet4000: You have a legitimate gripe, although I think that should be more with G&L than us. We promptly placed your order with G&L once you made it. G&L had *major* issues during the pandemic, were shut down for a while, had several orders we placed slip the cracks, I couldn't get our reps to answer emails or phone calls most of the time, etc. It sucks, we were caught in the middle. I should have communicated better during the process, but we were so in the dark that it was tough at times. That said, we have never refused any refund in the case something goes wrong. You never needed to threaten us to get a refund, a simple phone call or emailing asking for one would have sufficed.

@katsumura78: None of that story sounds familiar or remotely plausible given that every single guitar we receive, we open up, inspect, have our licensed luthier/technician set it up to the customer's specs for no charge. Every single guitar on our website specifically has a "Setup Instructions" box for this exact reason. This is something we're well known for, and just about every customer knows about. So something had to have been lost in translation here or was miscommunicated here. You're welcome to PM me with more context, as this is news to me.

To anyone reading this unfortunate thread: not everything you read on the internet is true. Do your own research. Look up review websites, Reverb reviews, eBay reviews, BBB, social media, talk to the companies we work with, whoever, and in the unlikely event you'd still have any concerns, just visit the store or contact us and it's highly unlikely you won't have a great experience.

Last edited:
I have never used this shop, but this is not how you respond to something like this. You wanted to defend yourself but only came out looking so much worse. What a goober.

Back