Bassier speaker for a 1x12 cab

geetarmikey

I have a Zilla cab loaded with an 8 ohm 75w Celestion G12H Creamback, I was just looking for recommendations for something a bit "fuller" with more bass. Trying to squeeze as much power out of the thing as possible haha.

Any tips would be very useful, thanks!

Mike

If you can find a Celestion Lynchback, they tend to be on the warmer and darker end of the speaker spectrum.

G12K-100. Not sure if it would meet your wants for "fuller", but it definitely has a lot of low end
I am curious if bass heavy speakers are best in small cabs or big cabs? I hear mixed comments. Some say the larger cab handles the low end of rhe speaker better and some say the small cab benefits from the added lows. While some say a smaller cab can't handle the low end of the speaker.

I am testing a Redback and K100 in my Bogner 212.

I am curious if bass heavy speakers are best in small cabs or big cabs? I hear mixed comments. Some say the larger cab handles the low end of rhe speaker better and some say the small cab benefits from the added lows. While some say a smaller cab can't handle the low end of the speaker.

Umm, right now I have a mix of K100 and Redbacks in my Marshall MF400 cab (oversized) and to be honest, I think it has too much of low end for bass heavy amps (Rivera KH Tre, Engl Petrozza). I prefer to play that Engl thru 212 with Celestion EVH speakers, it sounds fantastic, thru MF400 it's too massive and boring. So IMHO it depends on the amp used as well.

Umm, right now I have a mix of K100 and Redbacks in my Marshall MF400 cab (oversized) and to be honest, I think it has too much of low end for bass heavy amps (Rivera KH Tre, Engl Petrozza). I prefer to play that Engl thru 212 with Celestion EVH speakers, it sounds fantastic, thru MF400 it's too massive and boring. So IMHO it depends on the amp used as well.
I can see that. I tend to use all Redbacks now. Love those. I use them with everything, my Mesa, Revv, Bogner, etc.

I wasn't a fan of the oversized marshall with k100(mf400). A bit too scooped for my amps, mostly rectifiers.
My early 2000s mesa oversized slant is great with the k/v x-pattern, but I would not run k100 alone for that cab.

Oversized 212s are a different story though. IMO they work good with about any speaker or mix.

My rectifier 212 is stock(uk v30s)and sounds very nasal on it's own. Great tone for recording but not my favorite on it's own, but I always blend it with my avatar k100 212 and the mix is fantastic.

So for me if I was wanting to run a single smaller 212 I would maybe blend the redback and k100, but for a larger 212 I would use a v30 with one of the others.

I'm thinking a red back also... but an eq pedal in the loop will also get you there quick.
I had one of the Soldano mini amps and I thought the bass sounded really wimpy thru a 1x12 . A cheap Joyo eq in the loop really brought the bass out

I would look for a scooped speaker, personally, not just a bassy one. 1x12's are not only less bassy than bigger cabs, but darker and less open as well.

"A bit fuller" is pretty much how I describe my Scumback M75PVC.
I will also add that I have that in an open backed cab.

Back