Best Modern Vox AC30 or AC30 Copy

And numbers don't have feelings..so pay up!
If the prices of those D/13 amps were divided by 13 I still wouldn’t want one, unless to flip. AB it with a good vintage amp that it’s trying to be like and it’s like the vintage amp has a tone that’s multiplied by 13

I've had several Voxy amps and have played several more.
I have an AC15C1 at home. It's perfect for at home, recording, or with a 3 piece band at normal volumes.
My fav was a Mayfly BC30, kind of a Matchless Vox hybrid, handmade in Canada. Wish I could have that one back.

If the prices of those D/13 amps were divided by 13 I still wouldn’t want one, unless to flip. AB it with a good vintage amp that it’s trying to be like and it’s like the vintage amp has a tone that’s multiplied by 13
That's actually a quote I made up relating
to numbers cannot feel emotion, -

so stop your bitching and fight your way through it!(-Corey Taylor)

Dude, with the amps that flopped, I get why.
Most of those you mention are rather loud & girthy,
'solid bold'.
These "artifacts" feather into the sound of a full live band mix, many times in choice ways.
As well as being dialed in & out at the board.
Now at home or even a small 3 piece gentle group of pickers & sinner's, these amps SUCK.
Like..are you f'n serious?
My Flextone II Trumps all this shit!!

An example would be DrZ and sweat'hogging
hard playing a 7 piece country band.
That girthsolid bold nature is the cement
for those crazy country scale extensions
to sing and even be heard.
You better be a bad ass to pull that also.
You're a classical guy so I bet you get the extension component of country scales.

Another would be that Oasis prick,
Noel Penis'head.
He runs JCM 900's with melting gitter'done AC30's for that brit-pop crunch.

-Whatever works, just keep doing it,
ya might get famous kid.-

Last edited:
i think my grandfather started this thread when he was a kid. but i've been looking into that ac30 tone bc i need it. i've got a 3rd power british dream that i really got because the "plexi that sounds good at any volume from quiet to roar" was just right up my alley. but the more i play it the more i've grown to love (or love is really only a part of the feeling i have when playing it---theres also desire, obsession, frustration etc---so love basically) the '59 vox tb channel. but the amp has el34s and the vox channel is super dark...anything but the presence on 10 and the brilliance maxed and the hi cut completely off is just too bassy for me. i still love it though.

so i've been looking into getting something even more voxy...there are alot of amps i love like the matchless dc30 but i cant afford it (same for a vintage ac30, jmi ac30, morgan, victory copper etc). but, unlike alot of people, i really like the vox ac30s1 and i think one or two of the different other inexpensive and more recent vox's. however, i have to admit i dont just "like" them...there's something in the tone of vox's that hits me right in the pilates...its honestly weird. people will say its "chime" and thats a part of it but its not all of it and i dont know exactly what it is...it almost feels like a drug where, when i hear it, i'm sated and, if i havent heard it in a day or two, i have to go listen to vids for a couple hours. there are some amps that i can objectivly say "that sounds better" than, say, a vox ac30s1 and, yet, they dont haunt me like the vox thing does. even playing my 3rd power british dream doesnt totally scratch the itch.

so i also really like the genz benz black pearl and its not super expensive. so i could just get that; it sounds great. but i dont know if it would really scratch my vox itch like just an ac30s1 or similarly priced amp from vox. advice?

Back