Biggest sounding 212 you've played?

There’s a lot of great 2x12’s out there that sound “big” for a 2x12. I think the king of that is the Bogner OS 2x12. But I agree that you just cannot get the same feel and tone out of a 2x12 than you do a 4x12. 4x12’s will always be tonally superior to any other cab configuration.

It boils down to whether or not that difference is worth loading in and out at 2-3:00 in the morning after a gig. If you got an easy way to load it, then it ain’t a big deal. But if you’re shoving it the back seat of a car or lifting it up into the bed of a truck, it can be a bit cumbersome.

I’ve always been more than satisfied with a 2x12 for any bar gigs I’ve ever done. If I were playing anything bigger, I’d definitely lug the 4x12, though.

I agree I have a Bogner 212OS but it's can't compete!

No worries....412 it is.

To me it's worth it and I never found 412s that heavy or hard to move. So in that respect it's not much different. :)

I’ve got a ToneStar Thiele Ported Horizontal closed-back 2x12 that sounds huge. I had a pair of 90 watt Alnicos in it, then a 75hz / 55hz Heritage 30 pair, and now a 65 watt Creamback and a Mesa V30. All pairings have sounded killer.

Thanks bro.

I have tried vertical cabs but never sound as good to me as horizontal or 412 cabs. They are always too narrow for my amp heads.

Interesting you like SGs speakers.
I founds they didn't have the cut or complexity of Celestions so I went back to Celestine and Eminence speaker. You have good results? I see Revv uses the Vet30/ET90. I've just always used Celestion and some Eminence speakers.

None of the places we play mic the guitar cabs. It sounds better to just use stage volume so the 412 sounds best. Always sounds smaller and less full with my 212s. That said, I'm old school and need/want that 412 behind me. I have to feel and hear that cab. Hell, I only gig once in a great while, may as well as enjoy it. Even if you do mic, everyone still hears the effect of the 412. I've had audience members comment on the sound and they agree they prefer the vibe of the 412. :)

It's funny I have a friend in an old school rock band and he's used 412 cabs since the 70s and he always says, what's a 212?
I'm only familiar with 412s. It's funny heqont even acknowledge anything less than a 412. I'm sort of becoming that way, especially after I had a friend over to compare them side by side and it was so obvious.

So maybe I'm answering my own question. :)
I've read some people have a difficult time cutting through with the WGS Vet 30. I am using the Retro 30, which is suppose to be a the WGS version of the Vintage 30. it cuts through no issue and sounds bright and full. again, it doesnt sound as full and filling as a 412 sound, wont disagree with you on that..

I've looked around for a "lighter" or "smaller frame" 4x12 but cant find anything except for a $1300 Soldano cab.

I spent a few years chasing this, and there is not a single 2x12 on the market than can compete with a good 4x12. The best sounding 2x12s are often quite large, total volume and cabinet depth are major factors. It gets to a point with oversized 2x12s that you nearing the same weight or size as 1960-sized 4x12s.

I also personally hate ported cabinets. They always sound okay in the room, but in front of mic sound terrible.

I’ve got a ToneStar Thiele Ported Horizontal closed-back 2x12 that sounds huge. I had a pair of 90 watt Alnicos in it, then a 75hz / 55hz Heritage 30 pair, and now a 65 watt Creamback and a Mesa V30. All pairings have sounded killer.
I was looking at V30/Creamback but I already have Mesa V30/Redbacks in a cab.

I'm thinking of doing Creamback M65/H75 for a fat vintage vibe that can still cover heavy music.

Reactions: PDC
I've read some people have a difficult time cutting through with the WGS Vet 30. I am using the Retro 30, which is suppose to be a the WGS version of the Vintage 30. it cuts through no issue and sounds bright and full. again, it doesnt sound as full and filling as a 412 sound, wont disagree with you on that..

I've looked around for a "lighter" or "smaller frame" 4x12 but cant find anything except for a $1300 Soldano cab.
How about Stage Craft? They also make a diagonal 212.

I had a nice small Marshall 412 years ago but sold it. It was really cool.

My Splawn 412 isn't bad to move. It's not like we jam or gig often. Still sounds bad gger than even the smaller 412.

I spent a few years chasing this, and there is not a single 2x12 on the market than can compete with a good 4x12. The best sounding 2x12s are often quite large, total volume and cabinet depth are major factors. It gets to a point with oversized 2x12s that you nearing the same weight or size as 1960-sized 4x12s.

I also personally hate ported cabinets. They always sound okay in the room, but in front of mic sound terrible.
I hear ya, and my 212 cabs I run-semi open. I have that for my Bogner 212OS, two piece back and I remove the center slat or wood strip on my Stone Age 212C and it sounds bigger and more full than when closed back. Yet, it's not brighter, just bigger with the semi open back. Whenever I close up the back, it sounds smaller and more focused and not as big

my old randall oversized 2x12 is great. fits in the front seat. my cat enjoys scratching too as you can see

Ll7cpsC_d.jpg

How about Stage Craft? They also make a diagonal 212.

I had a nice small Marshall 412 years ago but sold it. It was really cool.

My Splawn 412 isn't bad to move. It's not like we jam or gig often. Still sounds bad gger than even the smaller 412.
I just checked out Stage Craft and inquired about their 212SL cabs 🙃

I have a Bogner 212CB. It is the exact bottom half of a 412 cab. Nothing is going to replace a 412. However, I get amazing punch and clarity from that cab!

Very happy with it and it has side handles which makes it a breeze to gig with.

Standing in front of the cab or in the room, no. You’re chasing your tail trying to get something (a 2x12) to be something it’s not (a 4x12).

Recorded or miced, however, several would be hard to discern from a 4x12. Mesa rectifier 2x12’s and Bogner 2x12’s are 2 of my personal favorites.

I love my Friedman 2x12. The port on the back is just the right size for it to bloom, but have a tight punch. It's not as tight as a Mesa 2x12, but I don't want it to be that tight and it has a more 3D quality to it.

I've also had the Bogner OS, Port City Wave OS, Splawn, Marshall 1936, & Stagecraft Diagonal with 1/3 upper open back option.

The Friedman and Stagecraft are my favorites.

I love my Friedman 2x12. The port on the back is just the right size for it to bloom, but have a tight punch. It's not as tight as a Mesa 2x12, but I don't want it to be that tight and it has a more 3D quality to it.

I've also had the Bogner OS, Port City Wave OS, Splawn, Marshall 1936, & Stagecraft Diagonal with 1/3 upper open back option.

The Friedman and Stagecraft are my favorites.
how would you compare the Stagecraft and the Splawn?

This has always been an issue for me, especially since most club managers FEAR a 4x12, and i'm from the "Only a 4x12 will do!!" world. I played a shitload of 2x12s and none of them had that 4x12 sound. Friend of mine turned me on to Ear Candy Buzz Bomb 2x12 cabs. Guy who builds them is supposed to be a total crook so I found 2 used and loaded them with Alnico Creams. They absolutely sound just as full and big as a 4x12. Tried Altecs in them and sounded the same, V30s were a "slight" bit more boxy than a 4x12 but were closer than anything else I've tried.

Lots of bad stuff about the guy that builds these cabs and some guys love em, some hate em. For studio/rehearsal and medium size club environment these have worked well so far. If you can find these used and they're not a zillion bux they are definitely worth a try.

I've had three 2X12 cabs. An Egnater tourmaster 2X12 which was good but I sold it to get A Mesa 2X12 with V30s which sounded great. I did end up selling it. I currently have a Splawn 2x12 with G12M-65 creambacks and it is an amazing cab. I'll be keeping this one. The build quality is fantastic and those Creambacks sound awesome.

Attachments

• 20181128_125114.jpg
    20181128_125114.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
Back