Blackouts vs. EMGs

Death by Uberschall

I'm currently working with a custom guitar builder on two new guitars, both will be 7-strings. I want to go with the EMG 81-7 in the bridge and the 707 at the neck. Oddly enough the builder will only install BKP, SD or Lace pickups exclusively.
The builder recommends the BKP Nailbomb calibrated set or Nailbomb bridge and VHII neck. But I want to stay active.

So, what active SD pickups are closest to the 81-7 and 707? Not the EMG-X series.

Thanks in advance.

-DbU

AHB-3 Mick Thompson EMTY. The AHB 1 stock blackouts are muddier/ looser than the EMG 81. Mick had Duncan tighten up the low end with the AHB-3.

The AHB 3 alnico neck or the AHB 1 equivalent but again the EMTY has a tighter bottom. The pickups do have more gain than the EMG's but you said closest SD active so there ya go..

Its too bad your builder won't consider the EMG 57/66. Those are the shit IMO. I use both the AHB 3 and the 57/66. I like the AHB 3 but I really dig the 57... :)

I would just order the guitar empty with no electronics and install whatever you want yourself.

I'm a long-time EMG user too, but as of late, I've been debating whether I should go back to some high output passives. So, if he doesn't agree to build the guitar sans electronics, if it was my choice, I would probably try the BKPs, that way I would have some passives to contrast my actives.

Even if the passives are just as hot as the EMGs I typically use, one of the concerns I have is how noisy the passives would be compared to the EMGs.

I tried the Mick Thompson Blackouts and I found them darker than my EMGs, but I'm used to the EMG 81 in the bridge (with an 18V mod).

If it were me I would go with the BKP Blackhawks. Heard alot of praise for these and they are based off what is to be a passive alternative to actives. They are one of the few BK's I have not tried yet.

I'd look at having another builder do the guitars for you if he won't even do something as simple as put the pickups you want in there. That's just absurd. There are plenty of good builders out there, why waste your money on someone like this?

madrigal77":xmzs69r0 said:
I'd look at having another builder do the guitars for you if he won't even do something as simple as put the pickups you want in there. That's just absurd. There are plenty of good builders out there, why waste your money on someone like this?

This is kind of what I was thinking. He will not do what you want, that is not exactly custom is it? I am sure you are spending alot of money too.

If you love his guitars than I guess it is what it is. If he will not even build unloaded that sounds crazy.

I would go with the BKP myself but if you must have actives and you refuse to have anything other than the EMG then get the highest values Duncans and sell them or trade them off for the EMG.

Probably the same builder who has very high standards about his builds or might have exclusive agreements with pick up builders to get better pricing?

Ah yes, the kind that won't spend an extra $40 on pickups he can't get for wholesale to keep a customer happy. Not the guy I'd be going to.

Not saying that's the case with him because I don't know. I doubt EMGs are costing more money than the "Holy Grail of pickups" that people want you to believe BKPs are.

Let me also add that the builder is not in the USA and may not have immediate access to EMGs.

But let's stay on topic.

Death by Uberschall":2lmzczmi said:
Not saying that's the case with him because I don't know. I doubt EMGs are costing more money than the "Holy Grail of pickups" that people want you to believe BKPs are.

Let me also add that the builder is not in the USA and may not have immediate access to EMGs.

But let's stay on topic.

I use bkps, duncan, emg, dimarzio....there is no holy grail pickup.....it really depends on your match with the woods, pickups, your rig, and your ears. If you really want EMG's than just get whatever active set installed and swap em out. I was dead set on EMG'S for years. My tastes changed via experimentation....to me its difficult to pigeonhole one sound on one pickup type any more....anyway....but doing the pickup switch game can get tiresome and expensive.

Death by Uberschall":2cuaawht said:
Probably the same builder who has very high standards about his builds or might have exclusive agreements with pick up builders to get better pricing?

I get it. If he has deals with certain companies for parts, so be it. If it was something I wanted that only this builder could do, then I wouldn't be having a fit over it either, unlike some apparently.

I'd just order it empty or get the blackouts.

I'll probably get the blackouts and at least try them if he won't do the EMGs. That was my original plan and why I started this thread. I just wanted input on which were closest to the EMGs I wanted.

Back