Boat Anchor?

alan67

I have a UK Marshall JCM2000 100W from 98 or 99. The last time I played it, which was quite awhile ago, it seemed way hotter than normal after about an hour- it did sound pretty good though and was still operating normally. I had no idea about the bias drift issue that these amps could have until a bit later. Anyways, it's been sitting in the closet for a long time and I was like, man I should get that checked out and play it. I called a local amp tech and when I started telling him what I had, he said, let me stop you there- that thing is a boat anchor - get rid of it. He said even the fixes for the issue weren't any good. So.....what should I do with it - I don't have a boat.

Buddy had the board replaced in his TSL a few years ago. He was going to flip it, and had it on CL off and on, but it never sold. He rips it now. Just told me yesterday that he's not going to list it again.

It's a major repair, for sure, but it's worth it if you like the amp to begin with.

Yeah, I'd be interested in having it fixed but I'm sure I'd have to send it off somewhere....I don't think I have too many options around here.

Yeah, I'd be interested in having it fixed but I'm sure I'd have to send it off somewhere....I don't think I have too many options around here.
I’d give it a shot if you can find someone. If not someone would buy it to fix up

i OnLy WoRk oN pOiNt tO POiNt AmPs…

On a good note you dodged a bullet. Not sure how handy you are but if you have the board number and a soldering iron I’d think you or any tech could fix it. Lots of threads related to the subject.

Tons of pros used to, and still do, tour with that model. The bias drift issue was only for a couple/few years from what I can remember and it is easily repairable by a competent tech. Get a second opinion and keep that thing!

Tons of pros used to, and still do, tour with that model. The bias drift issue was only for a couple/few years from what I can remember and it is easily repairable by a competent tech. Get a second opinion and keep that thing!

It is a very small batch of them from what I’ve gathered, but recently the internet has started claiming all of them have the issue and I’m not really sure why. If the amp sounds fine I would just play it till it blows up which it most likely won’t

That screams I dont know how or it is too difficult for me to bother fixing. Not the type of guy I would want inside my amp.

Edit: I will say I dont know shit about amps other than being able to bias one (thanks to 311splawndude) so I guess there could be such a major PITA job that no man should endure BUT that's his job. I still stand with original statement, I like a tech who is eager to tackle something and thoroughly enjoys his job.

do you know if the Bias is drifting ? Only sign was it seemed hotter ??

I thought for some reason the older UK made ones were the ones to have ..... could be wrong there though .

If the boards keep getting to hot over a period of time ... they can become conductive ... then it's a definitely a boat anchor

might just need some new Power Tubes ..... and a good time to keep an eye on the Bias to see if it's drifting is when you change them since obviously you would have to re-bias .

Keep it. I still have my 100-watt TSL combo amp don't know what year? (Is there a way I can tell?) I hated the amp at first but once someone told me about putting a TS9 in front of the amp it came alive! I lived in channel 2 of my TSL with a boost! I need to fire this bad boy up soon, but I can't because it's at my brother's house right now. It's not a bedroom amp, but once you get the master volume above 4 and a half, it rips.

It is a very small batch of them from what I’ve gathered, but recently the internet has started claiming all of them have the issue and I’m not really sure why. If the amp sounds fine I would just play it till it blows up which it most likely won’t
True, I don't know for sure that it has the issue. I read that when they do they'll just shut off at some point, then after they cool a bit they'll be fine - lather rinse repeat. I need to just really put some time on it and see what it does. Still, they tech never even entertained taking a look at it either way, said he only works on older Marshalls....

Back