Bogner or Marshall cab?

PSGuitar

Hey guys,
I am about to pick up a Bogner 412ST which is straight with tilted baffle.
My tech says to just go get a Marshall cab as the are lively and full. He has a lot of gig experience.
I have a Bogner 212OS that I love and I am sure the Bogner Wil be great.
I feel like I won't know till I get the cab to our rehearsal space, since acoustics vary so much.

Then I was checking out some demos onlin and I keep finding videos where the Marshall sounds best.

I posted about the Bogner 412ST and you guys really helped me, but the seller got delayed and we had to wait till he was back home. Hope to get it this week.

In this video, I like the Marshall a lot.
Only other 412 I own is a Splawn straight cab.

Any big Bogner can guys here? Hoping I'll be thrilled.

The Marshall I am looking at is a 90s JCM900 1960A.

Last edited:
Ive only played one Bogner cab and it was an ubercab.

At the time I tested it with a Green Uber, a Twin Jet and and a VHT 100CL.

Compared the cab with a VHT D412 and a Peavey MS412 with v30 x 75.

While the Ubercab was no slouch it was my least favorite of the 3. It just had this high end sizzle that I didnt like.

Obviously YMMV but that's my only experience with them.

With that said it would depend on the Marshall as theres dozens of Marshall cabs to choose from. I would probably take the Bogner over a recent 1960A for example just because but if you are hearing clips and prefer the Marshall every single time, I think your obvious choice is to get the Marshall.

Thanks!

I played a Twin Jet and it horrible. Not sure what Bogner was thinking... lol.

But I love their other amps.

The Marshall cab I can get locally is a 90s JCM900 1960A cab. Although the guy never responds to anyone so not sure what it going on.

My vote is for the Bogner cab. I love them and boogie cabs. But also depends on what you're going for. For me Marshall cabs have a bit of give to them if that makes sense. They are not as tight as the Bogner cabs. But perhaps that would be what yo want. Also, with the Bogner cabs I prefer pulling the batting off the back panel.

While the Ubercab was no slouch it was my least favorite of the 3. It just had this high end sizzle that I didnt like.
That's likely because the Uberkab comes with two G12-T75s, which I found to sound piercing. I swapped them out for two V30s (so the cab was all V30s) and the sound improved for me.

Hey guys,
I am about to pick up a Bogner 412ST which is straight with tilted baffle.
My tech says to just go get a Marshall cab as the are lively and full. He has a lot of gig experience.
I have a Bogner 212OS that I love and I am sure the Bogner Wil be great.
I feel like I won't know till I get the cab to our rehearsal space, since acoustics vary so much.

Then I was checking out some demos onlin and I keep finding videos where the Marshall sounds best.

I posted about the Bogner 412ST and you guys really helped me, but the seller got delayed and we had to wait till he was back home. Hope to get it this week.

In this video, I like the Marshall a lot.
Only other 412 I own is a Splawn straight cab.

Any big Bogner can guys here? Hoping I'll be thrilled.

The Marshall I am looking at is a 90s JCM900 1960A.

You say you are looking at a 90's JCM900 1960A for the Marshall option. Well that will have G12T-75 speakers and is NOT what is being compared in the video you linked. The video is all V30 variants (Marshall, Mesa, OEM). In the video that Marshall cab has the Marshall Vintage G12V speakers, so don't go by that particular comparison. And your choice should be Bogner by the way.

I like the Marshall 1960a. I have a bit of a problem since I have four of them. I like them with greenbacks, V30s etc.

I had an Ubercab that sounded fine but the Marshall cabs have a bit more "woody" thunk or something to it. More lively? I dunno, but I prefer them.

Plus that Ubercab had the worst casters (fell off over bumps) and didn't sound good unless on the floor. The 1960 casters are fine and somehow don't change the sound that much whether off or on, which is really helpful.

They are different animals; if you have the same speakers in each I would say the difference is this: The Bogner will have this complex, rich tone and be tighter than the Marshall due to the batting. But, the Marshall will resonate more and be less focused..it will appear louder. The Bogner cabs in my experience are super consistent; while the Marshall may be a dead sounding cab. You really have to try and play it imo. I’ve had 4 Bogner cabs and over 10 Marshalls…they are different enough to own one of each. Right now I have 4 Marshall cabs and one Mesa; before I bought the Mesa I almost pulled the trigger on a Bogner V30 straight cab.

You say you are looking at a 90's JCM900 1960A for the Marshall option. Well that will have G12T-75 speakers and is NOT what is being compared in the video you linked. The video is all V30 variants (Marshall, Mesa, OEM). In the video that Marshall cab has the Marshall Vintage G12V speakers, so don't go by that particular comparison. And your choice should be Bogner by the way.
I know. Of course speakers make a massive difference. It sucks I won't know till I get it. Unfortunately I can't play it first.

Thanks guys.
All good feedback and stuff to think about.

My goal is something a bit different than my Splawn straight 412.
Speakers I can change, so my concern is just the cab.

Thanks again - I appreciate the input! :)

Last edited:
Love my Uber cab, love my Marshall 1960BV: it’s my favorite cab I own out of 5 4x12s. The Uber is the most surprising cab I own, and I really enjoy it. Especially with the 75s and certain amps I own. My driftwood purple nightmare absolutely slays with 75s: who knew that would be so sick. Had many people tell me that was the best clip they’ve heard me do, was really surprised by it. The Uber cab is very meaty, kinda balanced, bright but not shrieking or harsh. It’s pleasant sounding and very thick. Sounds great, can’t complain. The Marshall has the biggest low end of any cab I’ve owned ( or heard really) micd up, and it just is my favorite cab on the planet. It’s bright, it’s gnarly, it has hair, sounds out of control, but just sounds “right” to me. It’s “the sound” of some of my favorite records and sounds totally different than my Mesa cab. At the end of the day they are both great. However… if it was between the Uber cab and 75 watt loaded 1960, id go uber, just for sheer versatility and 2 completely different sounding speakers, that I think just sound great. The 1960 cab with 75s is the same cab as the 1960BV, but obviously different speakers. Still a cool cab, but if I’m buying a Marshall it’s the 1960BV, their celestion speakers are my favorite so I’m biased.

My other option was a Port City 212 but I have never played a 212 that does the full/big 412 thing.
Though at gig volumes, my Bogner 212 and Stone Age sound pretty big.
Found a USA Randall empty for $300 in mint shape but Randall has almost no resale value.

Egnater uses T75/K100s in their one cab.
I like cabs that work with a variety since I have different amps and mix and match.

So far my K100s, V30s, CL80s and Redbacks work well with all my amps.
I want Mesa V30/C90 for possible this cab.

Interestibg with the Driftwood. I struggled with that amp in the band mix/low end and sold it. Cool amp though! :)

I tend to lean towards straight or tilt baffle cabs. I like the thicker and more focused lows. Slant tops sound big and airy, but lose that.

I can get this Bogner 412ST next week, so maybe I'll go for it.

Last edited:
If You think Bogner OS2x12 sound amazing, 4x12ST sounds even better, tighter lowend, bigger punch. Put Your favorite speakers on top and enjoy.
Ubercab have that sizzle but it is G12-75 what You hear, even in rearloaded Uber. I have them side by side.

Attachments

• 39854E63-A5E2-4CAD-806E-CBD1E5E29499.jpeg
    39854E63-A5E2-4CAD-806E-CBD1E5E29499.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
If You think Bogner OS2x12 sound amazing, 4x12ST sounds even better, tighter lowend, bigger punch. Put Your favorite speakers on top and enjoy.
Ubercab have that sizzle but it is G12-75 what You hear, even in rearloaded Uber. I have them side by side.
My Bogner 212 sounds big and 3 dimensional.

This one will have V30/H30 which I will give a good try.
My original thought was V30/C90 or CL80 or K100 for this one. :)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...1T6U9UkbXdTfF4yycNYaAjCOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the Marshall 1960a. I have a bit of a problem since I have four of them. I like them with greenbacks, V30s etc.

I had an Ubercab that sounded fine but the Marshall cabs have a bit more "woody" thunk or something to it. More lively? I dunno, but I prefer them.

Plus that Ubercab had the worst casters (fell off over bumps) and didn't sound good unless on the floor. The 1960 casters are fine and somehow don't change the sound that much whether off or on, which is really helpful.
Interesting you say that.
My tech says that Marshall cabs are very lively. Way better than Mesa he says.
Problem I run into is that every time I find a used Marshall, there is an issue.
This time I found an excellent shape JCM900 1960A but the guy never responds to offers or messages, so what's the point?

I also find straight cabs have more punch and are tighter than slant top.
But, I've never owned a slant top, so my experience is not great on them.

On the other hand, my Bogner 212OS sounds incredible regardless of speakers. Caster are rock solid, and the best I've had next to Stone Age.

Talked to my buddy in LA who is a studio musician and says his Bogner 212OS, is possibly the best sounding cab he's owned.

I have to say, that cab just kills it no matter I put in it.

Sounds plenty woody and organic to me. Nice thump or thunk.

Back