BOLLOX

joolzriff

im going to get my fire retardant suit on for this one...
as i browse the internet music forums as i love to do alls im seeing is people buying Artist signature gear & doing videos of covering songs & a huge Van Halen cloning world full of dudes spending HRS learning to play like evh & amp Builders building van halen amps...
why arnt we all putting this same time into being ''US'' ..sounding like ''us'' & writing our own material.....
what happend?

If everyone were cool at being uses, we wouldn't copy other people's stuff. Only a few uses out of the masses are cool. ;)

joolzriff":1lmv1r9z said:
jus wana discuss.... I think its strange ...no being facetious
I agree with your premise, but some people (some meaning most) just aren't real good at being original...or at least being original and being worth a shit. I think everyone wants to be the guy that does something original and cool, but sometimes (sometimes meaning most of the time) it's just not in the cards.

That said, there is value to learning other people's stuff even if you are great at being original.

I believe what is more important is doing what you love to do, and not really giving a shit how another views it. If you want to play cover stuff, do, if you want to write your own stuff, or create something completely different, so be it. As long as one does what they really enjoy, thats the real deal. Life is to short to go about it being miserable. Love what you do, and live it to the fullest extent, and share with others that joy of loving what you do.

Here today, gone tomorrow, and as they say; "tomorrow is promised to no one". So fuck it, do what you love, live your life the right way, your way.

joolzriff":1jl5fj5u said:
as i browse the internet music forums as i love to do alls im seeing is people buying Artist signature gear & doing videos of covering songs & a huge Van Halen cloning world full of dudes spending HRS learning to play like evh & amp Builders building van halen amps...
why arnt we all putting this same time into being ''US'' ..sounding like ''us'' & writing our own material.....
what happend?

There's probably some great original stuff but people don't want to use that material for their forum clips, they are just "playing to the crowd" knowing a cover will suffice for demoing a tone or whatever.

Be happy there's even clips internet gear forum culture doesn't even require that anymore. :LOL: :LOL:

Well, on the one hand side agreed (from the "wannabes never get heros" perspective). But consider as well that EVH was also "cloning" e.g. clapton and all the other guitar heros in that time before he went beyond. Also I have the feeling that not every musician aims for being a hero.

IMHO there was and is nothing wrong with getting inspired by great players. Decouple those riffs, styles, techniques and sounds from the genre-bounderies and the world is yours ;)

joolzriff":2vlflao3 said:
what happend?

Not everyone is an artist, but not everyone has to be. People play for different reasons. Some people view playing as a sport and focus on speed and technical ability, while others don't and are considered hacks. I wouldn't say that musicians have lost the art, when so many never had it. It's always going to be a diverse crowd with different interests and motivations. A lot of people are inspired by certain artists, styles, and sounds and will put a lot of time and attention into that sort of thing. Whatever makes people happy, I say.

joolzriff":1xbdlq4u said:
what happend?
I understand what you're saying and I agree. It seems there are many who take on their heros' persona, as though they have no individuality at all. And yes too many people want to be EVH, I do hear some killer clips of EVH tone and playing though. I guess playing other artists music acurately has been around for centuries, personally I'd prefer to cover a variety of influences, I guess it comes down to what you want out of music.

I think it's not so much that musicians lost the art, than the fact that it's never been easier to record and promote a band, good, or not. There's a lot of crap to wade through these days! :LOL: :LOL: You just gotta dig to find stuff worth a listen.

I'm not even gonna get into how the industry has gone to crap.

Don't assume everybody can, or wants to be creative or original.

You can sit a kid down and teach him a song, once he's "Got It" you gotta call him a musician. He's "Playing" music.

Being creative, and doing new original ideas with it, is often not easy. And for some, flat out impossible, intimidating etc...

I have always written lyrics, and songs, since I was a kid. That's I guess the kind of musician "I" am. It's some times hard to do, and takes up alot of time.

Some peeps just want to grab a VH trib guitar, plug into they're new VH amp, play eruption, then not play for a month...

Good for them! I've forgotten how to play Eruption! :LOL: :LOL: (Not that I played it well when I did! :D )

Here's my take....

Look at the times we are living in compared to the early days of rock. From the early 60's, rock music was a blank slate, endless possibilities and so much to be discovered. Also, you did not have the distractions we have now. At this day and age it seems as though bands throughout time have discovered and exploited just about every form of rock there is, to the point that there isn't much room for new exploration. I'm not saying that there isn't new forms of rock waiting to be discovered, but it seems like whatever someone comes up with....has been done before in some fashion. So, you have that and all the electronic distractions that technology has brought us,....that seem to keep many preoccupied.

There simply isn't a hunger for creation, like their once was. I only play for my own enjoyment myself, while playing with friends occasionally. I honestly look at music with nostalgia. I don't even look forward to new music, just because you don't hardly ever hear any nowadays that shows much merit (although, it is nice when it occasionally comes along)....I cherish the past music that's been made for the most part. As if looking into a time capsule.

I thought this thread was going to be about eating frozen burritos from gas stations & sleeping in a van in a different city every few nights ? That what I was doing often when I was a "real" musician ....

Strictly originals here, but I do rather enjoy the guitar styling of Edward Van Halen. :)

btw - does anyone know if the Cornford RK100 cops those early VH tones? Sssswing battaaaa!

stephen sawall":brlqjr1q said:
I thought this thread was going to be about eating frozen burritos from gas stations & sleeping in a van in a different city every few nights ? That what I was doing often when I was a "real" musician ....

:LOL: :LOL:

"Musician" is a very broad term. Some people live to create, and some people just want to strum a few chords.

I've never considered myself a "musician", I'm just a guy who enjoys playing guitar, and fucking around with gear.

For most of us, it's a hobby; it's a fun thing to do, a fun thing to talk about, but not our life ambition.

Back