BOLLOX

Octavio Molina Shaw":20aqne07 said:
To the OP:

Your curiosity made for a very interesting thread after all (some VERY good posts).

Chill out and don't let this affect you in a negative way. Keep posting!

As for the topic:

It takes a lot of effort to make original material. Not many musicians/instrumentalists possess the patience or focus it requires to create something worthwhile.

I've been working on original music for quite a while and it hasn't payed off as I'd wish it should, but that doesn't mean I'll stop doing it. I'm passionate about music as an art form and that is all the fuel I require. I'm sure I'm not the only one with these thoughts.

Buying signature gear for me is a turn off. I'm all into looking for your own style. But you know what? I bought a replica of RR's original white Jackson some years ago. The guitar is not with me right now but it was very fun and exciting to get that feel and vibe into my playing. Almost like a spiritual connection with my hero. Playing that replica inspired me to create more original music ;)

It takes a lot of work to do anything well with a guitar. To answer the OP, music touches everyone differently and if you can't relate to cover bands or someone that tries to sound exactly like _________, that is ok. Take VH, a guitar player has to go one quite a journey to build a rig that sounds like VH and countless hours of practice to learn the music. Some people really enjoy that aspect of the hobby. More power to them. Some, like you need to create, great!. Some do both. There really in no more to it. Learn to respect it all and I hope you enjoy some of it.

Late to the party here...grooveHT finally posted my first thought to the OP's question. Very few of the world's top tier classical musicians compose themselves...they reproduce while focusing on flawless technique.

As for signature gear, some will buy it because they want the gear that their heroes/influences/inspirations use and they want to try to emulate. Others may find that a certain piece of signature gear gives them what they're looking for regardless of who it was designed for...the 5150 amps immediately come to mind. I get the stigma of sig gear...I remember walking away from buying a Jem back in '87 because of that even though I felt it was the best guitar that I had ever played at that point. I got over it and had one in '88 because it did what I wanted, not because Steve Vai played one.

Bottom line is we have to play the the music that we like, be it covers or originals, and the gear that we like, be it standard or signature. Everybody is different...embrace it, don't criticize it.

Back