BOLLOX

Heritage Softail":21wcx3qr said:
But aside of the gas station burritos, what makes one a musician to you?

When I saw ZZ Top they played Ring Of Fire. Rush covered Buddy Holly.

Anyone that plays or creates music ... no matter how they do it. It could be a computer or tin cans. Many musicians only use their voice. They could be 2 or 104 years old ... really does not matter.

When you make up too much about this "title" crap ... it is usually a ego thing.

ZZ covering Ring Of Fire :thumbsup:

I grew up playing music...made it all the way to the university jazz orchestra at Virginia Tech. That group was conducted by a guy named Chip McNeil, who did some arranging for Arturo Sandoval. Those two guys are some heavy musicians, blowing over changes all night and making them sound musical. These guys play charts that some refer to as "standards". That's to say, shit other people wrote. You know, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mingus. Other things like "Fly me to the moon" or "Ain't got nothing but the blues." Classical musicians of very high caliber can go their whole lives without writing a damn thing. Clapton, Zep, Hendrix, Stevie Ray et al. did some of their best and most well known work on other peoples' tunes. What I'm getting at is, where does your weird, skewed definition of "musician" come from?

I don't accept the OP's premise that musicians have lost the art of being a "musician." True, you don't hear, IMHO, much of anything interesting aimed at the masses. But, if you look hard enough, there are lots of great musicians doing their thing. RT folks are exposed to some of this but there's a bunch more out there if you take the time to look. For example, I was on iTunes checking out some of Andy Timmons' early stuff and I took notice of the "also bought" section at the bottom of iTunes' web page. I started clicking on the different artists offerings and was surprised at how much original stuff is really out there. Some of it is really good and different.

...'ya just got to look for it. :D

joolzriff":3rvgobqg said:
im going to get my fire retardant suit on for this one...
as i browse the internet music forums as i love to do alls im seeing is people buying Artist signature gear & doing videos of covering songs & a huge Van Halen cloning world full of dudes spending HRS learning to play like evh & amp Builders building van halen amps...
why arnt we all putting this same time into being ''US'' ..sounding like ''us'' & writing our own material.....
what happend?
So you don't think EVH ever want to be like Clapton, or SRV like Hendrix, or Yngwie like Blackmore huh?? They seemed to do alright.

bonedarrell":2nk8oxll said:
joolzriff":2nk8oxll said:
as i browse the internet music forums as i love to do alls im seeing is people buying Artist signature gear & doing videos of covering songs & a huge Van Halen cloning world full of dudes spending HRS learning to play like evh & amp Builders building van halen amps...
why arnt we all putting this same time into being ''US'' ..sounding like ''us'' & writing our own material.....
what happend?

The bigger question is................Why do you give a rat's ass?? :confused: :confused:
out of curiosity my friend...........for example without sounding Sarcastic.........ive never had the desire to build or buy a van halen guitar then purchase an amp that apparently has that van halen sound then learn the whole of van halen 1 note for note Then post videos amongst all the other unchained ones showing ive copped evh................the amount of time IT would take to clone that talent must be immense ...... why not put that time into creating individuality?..
I by no means am a great guitarist as you can tell by listening to my reverb nation page....i'd jus like to hear kids do Their own thing........to each his own but '''if you want an answer to your curiosity one must simply just ask as i have done!!!'''

LP Freak":39afzhzo said:
joolzriff":39afzhzo said:
what happend?
So you don't think EVH ever want to be like Clapton, or SRV like Hendrix, or Yngwie like Blackmore huh?? They seemed to do alright.
thats not the original question ....

I lived all over the USA .... Seattle is different than a lot of places. There is way more people doing original material around here than most places. It was this way the first time I came here in 1986. The problem is the majority of them are awful.

grooveHT":1nz1yeg2 said:
I grew up playing music...made it all the way to the university jazz orchestra at Virginia Tech. That group was conducted by a guy named Chip McNeil, who did some arranging for Arturo Sandoval. Those two guys are some heavy musicians, blowing over changes all night and making them sound musical. These guys play charts that some refer to as "standards". That's to say, shit other people wrote. You know, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mingus. Other things like "Fly me to the moon" or "Ain't got nothing but the blues." Classical musicians of very high caliber can go their whole lives without writing a damn thing. Clapton, Zep, Hendrix, Stevie Ray et al. did some of their best and most well known work on other peoples' tunes. What I'm getting at is, where does your weird, skewed definition of "musician" come from?

Very good post, sir. :D

joolzriff":2xg7o7lo said:
bonedarrell":2xg7o7lo said:
joolzriff":2xg7o7lo said:
what happend?

The bigger question is................Why do you give a rat's ass?? :confused: :confused:
out of curiosity my friend...........for example without sounding Sarcastic.........ive never had the desire to build or buy a van halen guitar then purchase an amp that apparently has that van halen sound then learn the whole of van halen 1 note for note Then post videos amongst all the other unchained ones showing ive copped evh................the amount of time IT would take to clone that talent must be immense ...... why not put that time into creating individuality?..
I by no means am a great guitarist as you can tell by listening to my reverb nation page....i'd jus like to hear kids do Their own thing........to each his own but '''if you want an answer to your curiosity one must simply just ask as i have done!!!'''

Dude...you are not coming across as just "curious." You are obviously bothered by all of this. At the end of the day, what does it matter what everybody else is "learning, selling, buying, creating, covering???? The same question could be posed to you...Y waste time "being curious" about why other people do the shit they do and "put some of that time into creating individuality?" So, now I am going to practice what I preach and not give a rat's ass about this thread anymore whilst I go work on playing eruption with my teeth :rock: :rock:

stephen sawall":3bruci1q said:
I lived all over the USA .... Seattle is different than a lot of places. There is way more people doing original material around here than most places. It was this way the first time I came here in 1986. The problem is the majority of them are awful.
nothing wrong with being awful cos i am awful !!!

bonedarrell":1xqn7an6 said:
joolzriff":1xqn7an6 said:
bonedarrell":1xqn7an6 said:
joolzriff":1xqn7an6 said:
what happend?

Dude...you are not coming across as just "curious." You are obviously bothered by all of this. At the end of the day, what does it matter what everybody else is "learning, selling, buying, creating, covering???? The same question could be posed to you...Y waste time "being curious" about why other people do the shit they do and "put some of that time into creating individuality?" So, now I am going to practice what I preach and not give a rat's ass about this thread anymore whilst I go work on playing eruption with my teeth :rock: :rock:
Ya know what dude your jus being a fukn pain in the ass here....im fkn sorry i even started the thread & i'll accept im a dildo for doing it .....im a bad bad bad person.......i'll see you on the other THreads on rig talk talking shit.......
yours truly
dildo

joolzriff":105w1pd1 said:
stephen sawall":105w1pd1 said:
nothing wrong with being awful cos i am awful !!!
Agree ... but it depend much on the goal at the moment. A lot of gigs I did I was just having fun & did not care about it much. But at other times I was able to share the stage with people that were my heroes growing up & really wanted to do my best.

On a personal note judging / guessing by the way some of the tone of this thread maybe you are taking some of this too personal & serious .... This is just Rig Talk .... a forum where people do not hold back on expressing their view &/or throw stones. You can take my word for it ... it really is no big deal. Do not worry about. I respect your view as much as anyone else's here. If anything I would recommend laughing at it. This place really should not be taken so serious .... :)

The prospect of playing covers always reminded my of those 70's mail-order albums with songs 'recorded by non-original artists'. I didn't need to play guitar to score women, since I was awesome looking to begin with! :LOL: :LOL:

joolzriff":11p8rnes said:
bonedarrell":11p8rnes said:
bonedarrell":11p8rnes said:
what happend?

Ya know what dude your jus being a fukn pain in the ass here....im fkn sorry i even started the thread & i'll accept im a dildo for doing it .....im a bad bad bad person.......i'll see you on the other THreads on rig talk talking shit.......
yours truly
dildo

OUCH!! Sorry you feel that way? Anyhoo, I checked out your Reverbnation site and really dug the tunes, playing and the overall vibe!!! I retract my advise! You can obviously give a rat's ass(possibly my next band's name) about the BS other people are doing and still have enough time to create individuality. I am being sincere....I thought your material had a very individual flare to it and really liked it!!
PROPS!! :rock: :rock:

To the OP:

Your curiosity made for a very interesting thread after all (some VERY good posts).

Chill out and don't let this affect you in a negative way. Keep posting!

As for the topic:

It takes a lot of effort to make original material. Not many musicians/instrumentalists possess the patience or focus it requires to create something worthwhile.

I've been working on original music for quite a while and it hasn't payed off as I'd wish it should, but that doesn't mean I'll stop doing it. I'm passionate about music as an art form and that is all the fuel I require. I'm sure I'm not the only one with these thoughts.

Buying signature gear for me is a turn off. I'm all into looking for your own style. But you know what? I bought a replica of RR's original white Jackson some years ago. The guitar is not with me right now but it was very fun and exciting to get that feel and vibe into my playing. Almost like a spiritual connection with my hero. Playing that replica inspired me to create more original music ;)

OP I checked your Reverbnation tunes & they are pretty cool I guess, but I would really love to hear you play "Unchained" !!!

DoomBuggi":2buy9lfn said:
I believe what is more important is doing what you love to do, and not really giving a shit how another views it. If you want to play cover stuff, do, if you want to write your own stuff, or create something completely different, so be it. As long as one does what they really enjoy, thats the real deal. Life is to short to go about it being miserable. Love what you do, and live it to the fullest extent, and share with others that joy of loving what you do.

Here today, gone tomorrow, and as they say; "tomorrow is promised to no one". So fuck it, do what you love, live your life the right way, your way.

This ^

Back