BOSS NS-1X

I myself tried a couple of noise gates over the last few years of getting back into pedals and ended up settling on the GupTech Sun Gate:
https://guptech.ca/products/copy-of-guul-noise-gate

Has an Input/output that's used for sensing guitar signals and pass thru and Send/Return. I use it in the loop of my Splawn Nitro. Works like a charm and is priced right.

Noise Gates I tried:
- Fortin Zuul
- ISP Decimator G-String
- TC Sentry (I think that's what it was called)
- MXR Smartgate
- Boss NS2

Good luck

I have a BOSS NS-2. I like it. I'm just checking out what else is currently available. I mostly use a noise gate when using a boost or overdrive pedal.

Zuul+ and Revv G8 look interesting.

The NS-1X is digital. The other digital that comes up often is TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate.

I have a BOSS NS-2. I like it. I'm just checking out what else is currently available. I mostly use a noise gate when using a boost or overdrive pedal.

The NS-1X is digital. The other digital that comes up often is TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate.
The zul is my second fav after the ns2 . Tone wise

I have an NS-2 and just picked up the NS-1X. I have my 5150 preamp the in the NS-1X’s loop. It works really well but I have not yet A/B it with the NS-2 yet.

My NS-2 is off upon power up so I modified it to be always on. My NS-1X is on upon power up so I like it better for just that reason so far. 😁

I'm curious about the NS-1X as well. I like the visual cue it gives. I have a TC Electronic Sentry and I like it overall, but I do notice some high end tone suck when it is engaged. It's not huge and I actually don't bother compensating with my tone/presence controls. I will say this much, it's somewhat challenging finding a middle ground for tight metal rhythms and sustained lead notes.

I just played with a band where the guitarist was using a Revv G8 and I asked him about it afterwards. He quite liked it, but he wasn't using it in a 4 cable method like I do.

The x series by Boss seems to have a pretty positive reception, especially the CP-1x compressor, but the one thing that has me concerned is Fluff's review on youtube. These days, I don't think much of his reviews as he pretty much always just gives everything a positive review, but this was a rare one where he actually provided some constructive criticism.

Notice what he says at 8:54. He mentions an annoying popping noise that some noise gates make and honestly that's probably the number #1 reason I'm hesitant to purchase the Boss NS-1x. I'm also a bit annoyed that he didn't use it in 4 cable method.

I wish the Deadweald Audio Golum was readily available. I'm most intrigued by that. I'm also curious about The Key and The Gate by Lichtlaerm Audio.

I didn't like the Sentry at all

Let us know!
I use both the NS-2 and NS-1X with the amp’s preamp in their loop. Guitar to NS input, NS Send to amp’s input, amp’s effects loop Send to NS Return, NS Output to amp’s effects loop Return.

If you’re also experimenting between the two, notice that the jacks are flipped between the two pedals. If you’re not paying attention you’ll plug into the wrong jacks.
IMG_0433.jpeg

(Those are my actual settings)

As expected the effect of the noise reduction is similar between the two. However, you get much better control with the Damp, the Threshold seems to have more range and the Decay seems quicker. Plus you get to choose between Gate and Reduction. Also the Mute mode allows you to switch between Gate and Reduction with a long press of the pedal. The LED display is kind of a big deal here as well. For setting and monitoring the noise reduction, it’s very useful. The Decay setting is more important and a bit harder to dial in on the NS-2. I think that’s because it lacks the Damp control.

If you’re happy with the NS-2, I wouldn’t run out to get an NS-1X unless you really need a Gate function but it does have some important improvements in the controls. I don’t think you’ll regret spending the money, I don’t. However, I also don’t think you need to immediately replace your NS-2.

If you’re buying your first noise reduction pedal or need another for a second pedalboard, definitely go NS-1X though.

Last edited:
If you’re happy with the NS-2, I wouldn’t run out to get an NS-1X unless you really need a Gate function but it does have some important improvements in the controls.
Thanks for that! Being a guitar tone tweaker I’m actually kind of curious to check it out now 😆 …More/better for an already awesome pedal can’t hurt!

I can’t even judge an amp with out my ns2 . It’s a huge part of making my tone right , crisp , and if an amp is going to work .
Really? I hardly ever use a gate anymore, I don't use so much gain that I'd really need one though. I always thought the NS-2 sucked some of the signal out of the cable when set up to where it cut the noise right.

Back