BR Custom Cabinet 3x12 Coremageddon

MourningEngine

Hi guys, I wrote a small review about my new BR Custom Cabines 3x12 cabinet. Hope you like it.

On my quest for the ultimate guitar tone I tried a lot different guitars, amplifiers, pickups, speakers and cabinets over the last years. Ultimately it became obvious that the right cabinet and speakers are an integral part of the overall sound. Especially in the context of a band it is crucial to have a cabinet that “sits” in the typical frequency range of the guitar but doesn’t color the sound of the amplifier too much so that it can unfold its sound qualities. My favorite amp at the moment is the Diezel Hagen. It delivers a defined distorted rhythm sound with nice midrange attack, a broad, three-dimensional clean sound and a creamy, singing lead sound. I tried all the different speaker cabinets from Diezel with the Hagen but none of them really satisfied me. Either they were too boomy and muddy or too sterile and hollow.

Coremageddon_312_front.png

BR Custom Cabinets is a small company from Germany that is specialized in developing and building innovative speaker cabinets for electrical guitar players. Bernd Roeschel, the man behind BR Custom Cabinets, has more than 20 years of experience in carpentry and guitar cabinet building. I contacted him at the beginning of the year and scheduled an appointment to test some of his cabinets with my amplifier and my guitars. Bernd is a kind, competent and calm person with strong desire for perfectionism. Every detail is well-thought-out and optimized for optimal sonic performance. No compromise is made in terms of build and sound quality.

Coremageddon_312_front2.png

It turned out that a 3x12 cabinet named Coremageddon matches my sound ideal the best. The cabinet is a chambered system that consists of a 1x12 at the bottom and a 2x12 on top. The lower part is optimized for modern, clean and fast bass response while the upper part delivers the mid and high frequencies. This combination provides a tight bottom end, growly midrange and cutting highs without being shrill. Compared to the Diezel frontloaded cabinet is has a lot more midrange while still being extremely defined. I choose two Celestion V30s on top and an Electro-Voice EVM12L Classic at the bottom. Those speakers work perfectly in the 3x12 paired with my Diezel Hagen. The V30 offers the typical high-mid cut and nice growly low-mids. However, compared to most V30 cabinets it never gets muddy or undefined. Everything is perfectly matched for this speaker. The EVM12L has an even frequency response and is very clean and articulated. This way you will never lose track of the guitar during rehearsal or live performances. Another unique feature is the cabinet's broad sonic dispersion. You can walk around the room or stage and won’t find any dead spots like with other traditional cabinets. I never heard anything like that before, even the Diezel frontloaded cabinet doesn’t come close. Due to holes in the front baffle the sound can “escape” properly and you never get the impression of the cabinet starting to “pump”. Still it doesn’t react too dry or stiff. This cabinet is clearly built for real life applications.

Another highlight is the low weight of the cabinet. It is made of poplar with special bracings. Big sound does not necessarily have to weigh a ton. Still you can get it made of the traditional birch. BR Custom Cabinets takes the word custom seriously. They used the same tolex and front grill cloth as Diezel on my cabinet so that it will match up with my amp. Further I wanted a slanted front baffle, which wasn’t a problem either.

Coremageddon_312_back.png

I have played the cabinet for the last months during rehearsal and life performances and couldn’t be more satisfied and excited. The Coremageddon achieved what other cabinets could not: I am satisfied with my guitar sound. I can only encourage you to give BR Custom Cabinets a chance if you are looking for a new cabinet.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Back