Budda SD18/SD30

troublehead

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I have a side project going (Alt. Country/Rock) and I need some different tones. I will be playing a telecaster 90% of the time through greenback loaded cabs.

Just brainstorming on amps at this point :confused:

Had a Superdrive 30 combo a long time ago before they were owned by Peavey.

Loved it and still to this day don't know why I sold it. Thought about maybe picking up an 18 combo to make up for it.

Lance-a-not":3ejlt1kq said:
I have owned 7 Budda's :thumbsup: :confused: , and number 8 is to arrive today... :LOL: :LOL:
1xSD18
3x(today) Sd30s
2x SD45s
2xSD80s

I think the amps would be stellar for the type of music you are looking to play, think Vox meets Marshall. Take pedals great, sit in a mix easily. You might find the 18 runs out of clean headroom gigging with a drummer

Let me know if I can help, anytime!

Other than the clean headroom, is there any benefit of the 30 over the 18? Are they both capable of getting good overdriven tones even at lower volumes..........not talking bedroom levels, but not blowing the windows out either. Is there any voicing differences between the two? I think I read somewhere that the 18 is a bit darker.

Thanks !

I have the SD30 series II and it is far and away my all time favorite amp. Warm, dark and chewy lead channel and a nice voxy type of clean with a lot of chime and a bit of grit that makes it cut thru like a knife. Sort of Marshall like but in an older plexi kind of way not a jcm 800 bright kind of way, should be a good alternative to the Splawn. I got mine about four months ago and i'm still smiling ear to ear every time I plug into it.

troublehead":21yxr483 said:
Lance-a-not":21yxr483 said:
I have owned 7 Budda's :thumbsup: :confused: , and number 8 is to arrive today... :LOL: :LOL:
1xSD18
3x(today) Sd30s
2x SD45s
2xSD80s

I think the amps would be stellar for the type of music you are looking to play, think Vox meets Marshall. Take pedals great, sit in a mix easily. You might find the 18 runs out of clean headroom gigging with a drummer

Let me know if I can help, anytime!

Other than the clean headroom, is there any benefit of the 30 over the 18? Are they both capable of getting good overdriven tones even at lower volumes..........not talking bedroom levels, but not blowing the windows out either. Is there any voicing differences between the two? I think I read somewhere that the 18 is a bit darker.

Thanks !

You'll want to get some sort of eq or volume box to put in the loop. These amps are louder than anything I have plugged into without one. I got an omnisonic box from Ebay for $25 that does the trick perfectly and gives you a lot of control of the amp. Even without it you can still get good overdriven tones at lower volumes but it really starts to get juicy around nine o'clock which will peel paint.

I'v owned an SD18 and a SD45 and I'd go with a Dr Z instead. It would work perfect for what you want to do and are in the same price range. :thumbsup:

LP Freak":2nrtqt54 said:
I'v owned an SD18 and a SD45 and I'd go with a Dr Z instead. It would work perfect for what you want to do and are in the same price range. :thumbsup:

I have to agree on this. Budda's are more Rock than Alt. Country. Even though the Budda's woyuld probably work for the situation, I think there are other amps that would work better. Stangray or something similar from Dr. Z would work. Or a Vox AC30. AC30 can cover alot of ground, but are heavy as hell! I thought about one for a moment, then I picked it up (or tried).

Back