By request: axe fx 2c++…. Does it Metallica?

I feel like the brightness would totally work in context. Something I’ve found and advice I’ve gotten from people that are pros, when mixing if you have brighter guitars gotta lower their volume in the overall mix. Then they just sit right. Just having the faders set right is like the most important thing. I always used to cut too many highs out thinking it would solve my issue when really I just needed to lower the volume. As guitar players we are all guilty of always cranking it too loud. The more eq and stuff you do to a guitar post, the more phase problems that occur, guitars do not take post EQ well typically like drums, etc do.

But then again there was absolutely NOTHING natural about the black album sound, and the guitars were phasey as shit, but sounded great.
I'm well aware. Even though I kinda quit mixing, I'm used to the habit of dialing in my tones so that they mic up well and sit well in the mix. I guess that's also the reason why I argue a lot with people in this forum about mic'd tones not capturing the mojo of vintage amps. I mean...

I still think they might be a bit bright compared to the ones on the record if he's going strictly for that tone. But like I said, it's hard to tell hearing them out of the context of a mix.

About the phaseyness... yeah. That's the one thing I would change about that tone, personally. But I'm also well aware it's ridiculous for me to think that I know better than James Hetfield or Bob Rock, LOL. That tone is iconic, and it's hard to argue with that.

You nailed it. Especially about the brightness. are these alittle bright? Sure, but like you said in a mix and turned down a bit lower, they are gonna crunch hard I would think. I should do a full production of this and see what happens, I dunno. Most of my favs have incredibly bright guitars, especially by todays standards of safe, dark, no attack, bloated guitars. I still gotta Write you back homie I’m about to do that fyi.
Yeah man, I think learning stuff from nail the mix and YouTubers set me back a great deal with the overly eqd bs and everything just straight blaring. The whole one size fits all. Cut your guitars before 110hz and after 7k, cut bass before 60 and after 4k. Then L1 on everything. Sterile sucky mixes lol.

VESmedic, try ToneBridge app on iphone. It’s free. My go to app to save time and hassle. Can you please compare it to axe fx? Not on a serious note, just out of curiosity. You probably have a sound card anyway, right?

Back