Cheap Solid State Ultra High Gain Suggestions? (pantera / white zombie tones)

Far from the best SS amps but if you want something "janky" then Peavey, Crate and Randall certainly fit the bill.

"kinda" beat is one way to put it because that thing looks atrocious. Even that comparatively new speaker looks like someone transported gravel in the back of that combo and the broken combo cab reinforced with screws and metal brackets is the icing on the cake. I couldn't imagine paying $80 for it let alone $250.
Yet this is where we are at, price-wise. That screen print wears out on all of them, only ones that don't haven't been gigged. The amp I'd bet sounds great.
There's a RG80es full stack in better shape for 1k. If you want mint. :ROFLMAO:
The days of finding these for 50 bucks are long gone, I'm afraid.

I always thought the pv ultra xxl's were pretty killer for solid state. Of course there's line 6 also. The hd147 was always pretty badass. I'm sure it would do pantera and zombie easy.

Aside from Crate not many of the amps from the era of those bands are cheap any more because folks with money have driven the prices up. An RG100ES for $200 used to be a cool amp. For $1000+ like lots of folks ask nowadays they are underwhelming.

Yet this is where we are at, price-wise. That screen print wears out on all of them, only ones that don't haven't been gigged. The amp I'd bet sounds great.
There's a RG80es full stack in better shape for 1k. If you want mint. :ROFLMAO:
The days of finding these for 50 bucks are long gone, I'm afraid.
Who cares about screen print? That whole thing is totally fucked up. It's literally held together with screws and metal brackets.

usd249.jpg

If an amp looks like that from the outside I'm not convinced that it was properly maintained nor that it works and sounds great. Not for long at least.

usd249_2.jpg

Only idiots would pay that kind of money for this amp in this condition. There are way too many alternatives out there.

The only amp that I've seen that was in worse condition was a Peavey combo that some alcoholic used as urinal for years so that even the wood became all rubbery but that Randall combo certainly looks like it reeks of piss.

An RG100ES for $200 used to be a cool amp. For $1000+ like lots of folks ask nowadays they are underwhelming.
People can ask for anything but who actually buys the stuff?

Randall RG80-112SC fits the bill. One of the last good Randalls that can still be had for cheap. Get the later model with the black/gray knobs (more filtering than the early "witch hat" knob model), run it boosted into a good 4x12 and it will make many tube amps blush. 1987 is my favorite production year—tighter than the early models without the harshness of later ones.

Plus they were built in Irvine, CA like a proper tube amp (e.g., chassis mounted pots and jacks with flying leads) because they were quite expensive professional models at the time (~$2,000 when adjusted for inflation).

$_32.JPG

Peavey XXL or Supreme XL are some of my favorite solid state high gainers. The Transtube 100 EFX head also sounds really good for being solid state.

Fender Stage 160 combo is one that will do it quite well and they can usually be had cheap

Agree with the Peavey supreme and Randall suggestions

Another dark horse: the fender roc-pro

Does that 90s gain thing in spades

Back