Cheap Solid State Ultra High Gain Suggestions? (pantera / white zombie tones)

and seriously, the metalzone is fucking badass as a standalone or a boost, its stupid not to have one for the $40 or whatever im sure they sell for now. it takes some tweaking with the parametric but when you find it its devastatingly brutal into a good clean channel.

The BE Deluxe od is one of the best solid state drive pedaks out there so no surprise the Be Mini is killing it.

That said its not the pantera / zombie tone.

Still need to find an excuse to get a randall amp or preamp.
You can get definite pantera with what I mentioned above. Darrell is a hero and i love his tone. If I ever get a chance I will post a youtube vid or something.

You can get definite pantera with what I mentioned above. Darrell is a hero and i love his tone. If I ever get a chance I will post a youtube vid or something.
Oh cool - the randall power amp must become an impt part of the equation.

What overdrive have you had success with?

Oh cool - the randall power amp must become an impt part of the equation.

What overdrive have you had success with?
mxr classic od or boss ge7 eq with mids pushed up. randall xl cabs with v30s or randall warhead 4x12 stack v30s with warhead 2x15 on bottom but prefer the randall xl cabs over warhead cabs.

and seriously, the metalzone is fucking badass as a standalone or a boost, its stupid not to have one for the $40 or whatever im sure they sell for now. it takes some tweaking with the parametric but when you find it its devastatingly brutal into a good clean channel.
That's how Acid Bath got their live tone, a metal zone into the clean channel of a Randall. Sammy Duet now uses Randall V-max heads and he swears by them. That's the Goatwhore tone.

Last edited:
He also used rectos, mixed with the Randall's to get his tone.
For anyone who hasn't seen Jay Yeunger's badass rig circa Astro Creep 2000:

Jay-Yuenger-White-Zombie-Gear-1.jpg

The setup for the album was the rack of gear you see in the photos and four half-stacks : A Randall Century 200 head through a Randall Jaguar cabinet, a Randall Century 200 head through a Mesa cabinet, a Mesa Triple Rec through a Mesa cabinet, and a Marshall Valvestate ( I was in love with that crazy transistor-metal sound that Tommy from Prong had ) through .. I don’t remember, either a Randall or a Mesa. These were all going at once, but each cab was miced with only a single Shure SM57, and then the four signals were summed in the console and sent to one track on tape.

FOLLOW UP FROM OP ——-

Bought a Marshall 8100 head for $450 kinda local from “some dude” - i asked for a vid of it working, which he provided.

I should have been suspicious of the 10 second length of the clip and the fact that he obviously didnt know how to play guitar….

Got it home after an hour drive each way. Yeah its broke…. Shit….

Massive white noise when no cable in the input jack; OD2 isnt that gainy; just a TON of non-gain hissssssssssssss at 80% of playjng volume on both channels in both od modes. Unusable.

Changed out the stock 12ax7 w marshall branding on it - its a 1992 amp btw…. With an ehx tube. It reduced a smidge of the hiss but still not usuable.

Based on a repair video on YT, its likely the TL072 opamp on position IC1 (input stage).

Contacted seller - said he didnt think it was broken, and that its a 30 year old amp, i should expect some maintenance. Oh also, “plus i need the money, its why im selling my gear”. What a loser. Luckily both my wife and i make nice incomes but if he did this to someone that had to save up for a $450… thats just not right!!

Well. Bought some TL072 opamps and a capacitor discharger from amazon - its about time i started to learn how to work on amps. Maybe in a few days ill have it fixed!! Or.. ill be calling my local tech to help lol

Guess ill try to make some lemonade out of these solid state lemons….

97D17EDB-DBD9-4E5D-B850-6BD772A417EE.jpeg

Contacted seller - said he didnt think it was broken, and that its a 30 year old amp, i should expect some maintenance. Oh also, “plus i need the money, its why im selling my gear”. What a loser. Luckily both my wife and i make nice incomes but if he did this to someone that had to save up for a $450
Man, what a snake!!! Sorry that happened to you...people these days, I swear.

FOLLOW UP FROM OP ——-

Bought a Marshall 8100 head for $450 kinda local from “some dude” - i asked for a vid of it working, which he provided.

I should have been suspicious of the 10 second length of the clip and the fact that he obviously didnt know how to play guitar….

Got it home after an hour drive each way. Yeah its broke…. Shit….

Massive white noise when no cable in the input jack; OD2 isnt that gainy; just a TON of non-gain hissssssssssssss at 80% of playjng volume on both channels in both od modes. Unusable.

Changed out the stock 12ax7 w marshall branding on it - its a 1992 amp btw…. With an ehx tube. It reduced a smidge of the hiss but still not usuable.

Based on a repair video on YT, its likely the TL072 opamp on position IC1 (input stage).

Contacted seller - said he didnt think it was broken, and that its a 30 year old amp, i should expect some maintenance. Oh also, “plus i need the money, its why im selling my gear”. What a loser. Luckily both my wife and i make nice incomes but if he did this to someone that had to save up for a $450… thats just not right!!

Well. Bought some TL072 opamps and a capacitor discharger from amazon - its about time i started to learn how to work on amps. Maybe in a few days ill have it fixed!! Or.. ill be calling my local tech to help lol

Guess ill try to make some lemonade out of these solid state lemons….

View attachment 146962

Strange the Tl072's would go bad. Those things are generally pretty much indestructible.

I would clean all the jacks and pots with contact cleaner. See if that helps. Next I would look at those small electrolytic caps like in the picture. Change any of those that look suspect.

This is always my fear of buying one of these. I have the skills to fix it, but still a PITA.

Strange the Tl072's would go bad. Those things are generally pretty much indestructible.

I would clean all the jacks and pots with contact cleaner. See if that helps. Next I would look at those small electrolytic caps like in the picture. Change any of those that look suspect.

This is always my fear of buying one of these. I have the skills to fix it, but still a PITA.
One video on youtube claims that static charge from a cable (and potentially from the nylon input jack on the amp itself) can mess the input on the opamp up. The opamp is the first or second component in the signal path as seen on the 8100 schematic.

But im with you - if swapping that out doesnt fix it, it could be a pricey tech appointment.

There is a randall rh 200 right now on gc used for $299. That amp will do what u need and if you have a problem with it you can easily get a refund from them.

One video on youtube claims that static charge from a cable (and potentially from the nylon input jack on the amp itself) can mess the input on the opamp up. The opamp is the first or second component in the signal path as seen on the 8100 schematic.

But im with you - if swapping that out doesnt fix it, it could be a pricey tech appointment.
Weird, because the first thing is a coupling cap which should help against static discharge. Worth trying though as a TL072 is only like 80 cents. You could throw in a socket so it is easy to change if you ever had to do it again.

You should try to plug into the FX Return and see if you get a clean sound through the poweramp.

Back