Cliff Lee

WOW, the Damon at bat in the 9th was just incredible as was his heads up going to 3rd on the stolen base. And Arod comes through yet again.

Not sure how i feel about the next game, but all along i have been thinking Yanks in 6. 5 would work just great though. But it ain't over till it's over.

Series is over. Lee should have been on the mound for that game and Brad Lidge is pathetic. Just what the sports world needs...Yankee fans getting to tell everyone how amazing their team is for the next God knows how long. :jerkit:

mrp5150":2xhlenyt said:
Series is over. Lee should have been on the mound for that game and Brad Lidge is pathetic. Just what the sports world needs...Yankee fans getting to tell everyone how amazing their team is for the next God knows how long. :jerkit:

The yanks SHOULD win. They should have been the favorites all season. It finally is going to happen for them after 8 years of buying players. Congrats to them.

mrp5150":1atcxtw4 said:

For Yankees fans it's more about wiping away the bad memories of 01, 03, and 04. I'm just wondering if the Yanks should through Guadin tonight and save Burnett for game 6? Plenty of teams have come back from 1-3 so I'm not celebrating just yet.

SkyhighRocks":37qlrv06 said:
mrp5150":37qlrv06 said:

The yanks SHOULD win. They should have been the favorites all season. It finally is going to happen for them after 8 years of buying players. Congrats to them.

8 years? They've been buying players for a hell of a lot longer than that. Baseball needs a salary cap, badly.

SkyhighRocks":3c51nq8l said:
mrp5150":3c51nq8l said:

What's the Red Sox payroll? When the Red Sox complain about the Yankee payroll it's like a 600lb fat guy calling an 800lb guy a fat ass. The Angels, Dodgers and Phillies have big payroll's as well, at least they won a few games in the postseason.

$120 million or so this year. I never said they didn't have a big payroll. But those teams are not in the same conversation with the yanks' payroll. They could field a whole other team and still spend more than some of the lesser lights. Like I said...congrats to them for getting over the hump.

Team Payroll (US$)
1. NY Yankees 208,097,414
2. NY Mets 145,367,987
3. Chicago Cubs 134,058,500
4. Boston 122,435,399
5. Detroit 119,160,145
6. LA Angels 118,964,000
7. Seattle 112,053,666
8. Philadelphia 111,209,046
9. Houston 102,996,414

Take a look at the Mets. I guess spending money doesn't guarentee anything.

danyeo":39lacr5n said:
Team Payroll (US$)
1. NY Yankees 208,097,414
2. NY Mets 145,367,987
3. Chicago Cubs 134,058,500
4. Boston 122,435,399
5. Detroit 119,160,145
6. LA Angels 118,964,000
7. Seattle 112,053,666
8. Philadelphia 111,209,046
9. Houston 102,996,414

exactly...like the yankees for the last 8 years. :thumbsup: That's a discussion for another time and place. And the gap is still crazy...$60 million above everyone else...that's another team as I said.

gotta love when all of the Yankee haters start bringing up the payroll. It's not the Yankee's fault that they:

a) are located in the best market in the world
b) have owners that will spend money to put a good product on the field
c) have the best sports brand name out of any of the major sports

Been bringing up payroll even in all those years they didn't win. It's not good for sports...no matter who wins. The Red Sox overpaid in 04 and 07 as well. I've soured on sports in general...not just because of the yankees overspending more than any team in any sport's history.

SkyhighRocks":3cej9byx said:
Been bringing up payroll even in all those years they didn't win. It's not good for sports...no matter who wins. The Red Sox overpaid in 04 and 07 as well. I've soured on sports in general...not just because of the yankees overspending more than any team in any sport's history.

Texas really got the ball rolling with overspending when they signed Arod for that huge contract. The Yanks started throwing money at players when they signed Giambi . The biggest advantage the Yanks have is they can afford to make mistakes. They gave Kei Igawa 40 million dollars and he's been a complete disaster. That would have crippled other teams payroll.

But did you know that most other teams spend a bigger percentage of available money that they have than the Yanks. It's just that the Yanks are making a fortune that they have a ton of available cash to spend. Thank God for the fans that they don't choose to pocket all that money.

Look at the owner of the Twins. He's a freaking zillionare. But funny how the Twins don't have enough money to keep Johan or Torii Hunter. I'm glad George Steinbrenner is the owner.

japetus":2yj8r8gf said:
The current Yanks lineup is hitting a collective .265 AVG/.317OBP in 117 AB's against Blanton. I can easily see them losing this one.

Really? Blanton was 0-3 against the Yankees before last night.

danyeo":3izq6lls said:

I agree 100%. But I'd rather be a fan of team that can and does spend money than of a team that can't/won't. But there will always be a bunch of teams that spend a ton of money and don't win the World Series. Only one of them can win.

As a Met fan, I could care less if the Yanks have 26 or 27 titles. It does feel good knowing the Phillies won't get this one though. How do you not pitch Cliff Lee in game 4? Even if he wins tonight, the Phillies are going to have to win both in NY and see CC again. :no:

danyeo":33v3e25s said:
dfrattaroli":33v3e25s said:
danyeo":33v3e25s said:

How do you not pitch Cliff Lee in game 4?

Because he has NEVER pitched on 3 days rest in his life. Not once.

I know. But in this case, you have to at least consider it. Because it's like conceding Game 5 if he doesn't pitch in it. The Phillies were basically saying they'd rather go down 3-1 and have Cliff try and extend the series in game 5 than try to even it up and pitch someone else in Game 5. If the Phillies do win tonight they can't even go to him for relief in Game 7 if it got that far. Look at it this way, Manuel would rather have had a Sabathia/Blanton matchup than Cliff Lee (who already beat CC). Blanton had never beaten the Yankees.

Yeah, I mean the Yankees have only spent roughly $1.3 BILLION dollars in payroll since their last World Series win.

That's about $34.8 million per playoff victory.

japetus":bnfuu605 said:
Yeah, I mean the Yankees have only spent roughly $1.3 BILLION dollars in payroll since their last World Series win.

And your point is??? The fans keep buying the tickets at record breaking paces and the memorabilia sells like hot cakes. It's not like they're spending money that they don't have...

AmpliFIRE":2ocrczo2 said:
japetus":2ocrczo2 said:

And your point is??? The fans keep buying the tickets at record breaking paces and the memorabilia sells like hot cakes. It's not like they're spending money that they don't have...

Just adding perspective, that's all. Also, the Yankees were 8th in home attendance % this year.

Back