Cranked NMV 50w Marshall through power station clip

RedPlated

Picked this up recently and was just about to mod it. However, I figured I’d run it through the Power Station just to see how it sounds as is. Let’s just say I won’t be modding it anymore. Sounds way too good to mess with it.

This is a recent build done by a guy in San Diego somewhere. I’m not really sure of any other details as I received it second hand. But he did a phenomenal job. It’s a completely stock circuit based on a 1987 Marshall. All mustard caps and turret board. Classic Tone PT and Heyboer OT.

This is Les Paul with Roxy bridge straight into amp, all EQ on 10. Little bit of depth added from the PS100. Light delay also through PS100 from a Strymon DIG.

This is a good example of how much gain these NMV amps can produce when turned up and allowed to breathe.

I have a 69’ Super Lead that gets pretty gainy too when cranked. But the 50w has more of that compression and sag. It’s nice to have both 100 and 50w versions to beat on the PS100 with.

That will inspire me to buy another one . I had an SV20H I sold a few weeks ago like a dumbass and I used that same power station to get it under control. As I was boxing it up I knew it was a mistake BUT I kept the Power Station LOL .

It's funny how many of those amps I've owned --And sold --because I thought I needed 13 channels , structure, gain depth and anything else you can think of and then I hear one of those and I come full circle !!!! LOL!!

That’s straight up awesome. Further confirming my suspicion that Plexis are best without a boost
Same for me. If the guitar is hot enough and the Plexi is a gainy one and variac'd down then I like it straight in and dial back the guitar volume a tiny bit for some rhythms. It's actually too gainy for some stuff that way, especially with a pissed off pickup like a Dirty Fingers/Psykes/500T.

And the only boost that I’ve liked is a GEQ of some sort with just a slight boost and minimal frown EQ but I still almost always play mine straight in.
Still amazes me that some don’t realize this yet and waste so much time & money on all these boutique amps that don’t deliver in comparison except for a very small select few that can be counted on one hand
I certainly did that. One of my first 'real' amps was a '72 50W I bought around 1980ish. It only took me until ~2020 to come full circle.:doh:

Its the proliferation of all the options for the load box/re-amp setup that have allowed everybody to get 'that sound' without pain or police. Now we all can get as close as our fingers will get us to '<insert guitar hero here> tone'. But that 50W back in 1980...I hurt people with that amp.

Last edited:
Back