Custom amp build

rsm

Not finding originals (and I don't want to deal with reliability issues and sourcing vintage components anyway, these were not know for reliability) or anyone offering clones that are anything close to what I want:

Vox AC-100 Mk II "fixed bias" made from 1967, based on the "OS/167" schematic. https://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac100mkII_hood_2290B.html

I finally contacted Ceriatone to see if they'd be interested in making one, with modern features for ease of use and reliability while providing the sound and otherwise built to the OS/167 schematic.

Corresponding with Nik for awhile and finally placed my order today.

Going with a more common chassis and headbox vs the Vox design 2-piece chassis and top controls which is less sturdy, would cost more and add weight according to Nik. So it will be an AC-100 MkII fixed bias head in a Marshall-style headshell. 4-6 weeks to ship.

I've owned AC-4, AC-15 and AC-30 over the years, never an AC-50 or AC-100. The AC-100 is "the one" elusive amp I wanted for many years.

This is the amp I've wanted since I was a kid; impractical, probably won't sound anything like I expect no matter how accurate the clone is, etc. but I'm not getting any younger, and I want to get all my toys before I retire in the next 2-3 years.

Volume Treble Bass controls, standby switch, white chicken head knobs, stainless steel control plate, black tolex, black corners, black/blue diamond grill cloth, no effects loop, external bias jacks on the back...

Congrats on the build, but without the vintage components and transformers, the “correct” layout, etc it may not sound the same…I hope it does.

Reactions: rsm
Congrats on the build, but without the vintage components and transformers, the “correct” layout, etc it may not sound the same…I hope it does.
thanks! that's my concern as well. Nothing to compare it against lol, hoping it will do the '60s clean jangle and chime and go to raw levels vox-flavored crunch goodness. if that makes sense? The AC50 and AC100 were the Vox response to the plexi IIRC. so I hope at high levels it gets into different sonic territory vs my 1959HW

Are you specifically looking for a 100 watt ? GC has a 50 watt Mark III for sale fairly cheaply.

Finalized the amp design with Nik this morning. Next up is the control plate design...

We've had a few delays since the amp needed parts that Nik doesn't normally use or have in stock. We're discussing the front panel options now.

I think I'm going with the black/diamond grill cloth up top with a tolex covered panel around the front plate at the bottom. I also asked for the Ceriatone logo plate to be on the left front side, like the Vox logo placement.

The entire process has been great, Nik communicates regularly, and responds quickly; always offering options and ideas along the way. It's been a great building/buying experience.

here's a pic of the front of the amp in the head shell:

PHOTO-2024-05-03-16-11-57.jpg

Back