Damn, what a killer song by Gary Moore

I don’t know if it was released in the States but in Australia the Stockholm 87 concert was an official release on video for the Wild Frontier tour, hence the good quality.
Nope not officially released in the states but I guess technically it was officially released , thanks for the heads up. I’ve got it on DVDR , two audio versions on silver disc and the complete audience recorded show also on silver disc. After Gary passed away his estate encouraged people not to buy the unofficial version on audio as they were gonna release it but that never happened. I’ve got a pretty healthy collection of his music

Last edited:
I remember the day this song came out. For some reason it was on TV on a TV show. I was so fucking depressed. I hate this fucking song so much. Ruined Gary Moore in my opinion and blues in general. Still hate the song with all my guts.

A few years ago I had to learn this song for the band I was in and I turned it into Jimi Hendrix style. People really liked it a lot but I still hated it.

I remember the day this song came out. For some reason it was on TV on a TV show. I was so fucking depressed. I hate this fucking song so much. Ruined Gary Moore in my opinion and blues in general. Still hate the song with all my guts.

A few years ago I had to learn this song for the band I was in and I turned it into Jimi Hendrix style. People really liked it a lot but I still hated it.
I didn’t mind the Still Got the Blues album when it came out. Honestly for me, as big of a fan as I was, After the War was a little tired sounding from a compositional standpoint (Blood of Emeralds still being great) and it made sense when he did something else. Also in a few of the songs, like Walking By Myself, he still threw in some hard sounding lead work. But once I realized he was not going to do rock anymore and he went even less rock in the solo‘s I was really bummed. I felt like I had lost one of my favorite musicians to just be another shitty, post cream Eric Clapton.

Last edited:
Gary and Mike Bloomfield with those LP's are why I decided to take the plunge. I realized I had mistakenly overlooked two great players. Not any more.

Wow. Who among us could plug into a JMP with no boost and single coils and play slaying leads? I know I couldn’t.
Actually quite a few folks on here could. A cranked JMP is a decent amount of gain but Gary was also a very famous user of pedals (Tube Screamers and later DS-1’s to boost his Strat’s signal, if you’re referring to his rock days. He definitely used pedals in his blues era too. Ran a governor into a bluesbreaker combo for SGTB and used it into the clean/crunch channel of a SLO after that.

Last edited:
Actually quite a few folks on here could. A cranked JMP is a decent amount of gain but Gary was also a very famous user of pedals (Tube Screamers and later DS-1’s to boost his Strat’s signal, if you’re referring to his rock days. He definitely used pedals in his blues era too. Ran a governor into a bluesbreaker combo for SGTB and used it into the clean/crunch channel of a SLO after that.
Dude - I tried to pay a compliment in the era over compressed, squishy, ‘leads play themselves’ ridiculously high gain amps. Wasn’t trying to start a dick measuring contest. But I concede that you and ‘lots of folks on here’ win.

Dude - I tried to pay a compliment in the era over compressed, squishy, ‘leads play themselves’ ridiculously high gain amps. Wasn’t trying to start a dick measuring contest. But I concede that you and ‘lots of folks on here’ win.
In the 80s Gary preferred a particular NMV 800 that Marshall did a slight mod to.....His fav 70s JMP was a 71 Superbass. The 71 was left at home for recording...but the 800s went on tour.
Trying to play through a NMV Marshall with single coils, you have to be a damn good player to pull that off for sure. Even with a gainier metal panel from the early 70s.

Trying to play through a NMV Marshall with single coils, you have to be a damn good player to pull that off for sure.
Yeah that ain't no lie. I did this way too long. I don't know if it made me a better player or not but damn I hate stratocasters today, lol. Now that I am a humbucker guy I often have to remind myself "you don't need to fight this anymore" haha.

EDIT: I would add that playing a strat through a 6550 loaded 100 watt SLP and a 50 watt EL34 Super bass are two different experiences entirely. The plexi is amazingly clean and powerfull, really too much so for normal gigs IMO.

Last edited:
Weird that you took that so negatively. I wasn’t attacking you in anyway. Just stating a simple fact that there’s some good players on here who definitely can. I didn’t even say I was one of them…🤷‍♂️ Plus Gary was never known to just plug straight in when using his Strat so I didn’t get why you made that statement as if it pertained to him. So try not to be such a sensitive bitch about shit that had nothing to do with anything but simple rig-talkin’.

• Haha
Reactions: PDC
has anybody mentioned his Hendrix tribute set from a few years before he died? That is certainly in the top hendrix tributes Ive ever heard. Goose bumps

I don't remember how or when, but I ended up with the "Victims of the Future" CD. First track I went to was "Shapes of Things" because the Yardbirds had done it. By the end of that song I was reduced to a drooling idiot. His playing, incredible. His sound, incredible! Oh, and he sang his ass off, too. It's such a great version that Jeff Beck liked it...there's no higher praise than that! He's one of the GOAT level players. Long live Gary Moore.

Last edited:

You aren't the only one. I hated all of his "blues" stuff. A lot of my friends give me a hard time, but I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than that regurgitated "blues lawyer crap". But I love Victims of the Future to this day....

Last edited:
Here's one before his blues period. I was ok with the first blues album, thought it was going to be a once and done thing and he would go back to rock. He really took it too far with the blues thing. He's still up there as one of my favorite players.

I don't remember how or when, but I ended up with the "Victims of the Future" CD. First track I went to was "Shapes of Things" because the Yardbirds had done it. By the end of that song I was reduced to a drooling idiot. His playing, incredible. His sound, incredible! Oh, and he sang his ass off, too. It's such a great version that Jeff Beck liked it...there's no higher praise than that! He's one of the GOAT level players. Long live Gary Moore.

I had a similar reaction as you when I heard this for the first time mid 80s. I was so happy when not too much later, Guitar World printed a transcription of the entire song :)

Thanks to thus thread we are studying sine Gary Moore in Andy’s lesson . I’ve had fun transcribing some Gary Moore

Back