Did you ever play all of your gear in a day and still hate your tone?

Only if I don’t play / practice regularly.
This. My 'tone' has always been the best when I play a lot.

I spent a year playing through one of those blackstar battery amps. My recto and Axe-fx and the rest was in my ex-wife's basement. My 'tone' was massively improved.

I actually share that feeling about my playing, some days it's effortless, some days it's hard work. But I never hate my tone, always the contrary. Just playing a distorted D, A, and then E chord makes me smile every time.

So I guess if you don't already own one: Get a Diezel and start being happy 😁
I own Diezels too and still there are days when i hate everything.
It's either the days mood or the shot ears after some time.
Note to myself: Don't make amp adjustments when you already played half and hour pretty loud or the strings are not totally fresh.

When it strikes, I don’t fight it. I Either fire up the PS instead or go to music or gun stores. The music stores is just to stay in a music zone but change the scenery and possibly get inspired by a different amp or guitar, in a different space. Rarely to buy (unless it’s something super cheap or I’ve been looking for a long time). I know I have good shit at home for my tastes so it just needs a new day.

Great thread. I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one! I can see that the days I’m struggling physically with my technique are the days when I’m most likely to get really sour on my sound - convinced that ‘something’ is wrong. I’m sure thats just some sort of subliminal filter cause I’m frustrated that my hands feel like concrete. On those days when everything feels loose and speedy and locked in, I plug into my gear and think it sounds great! I now always do my main ‘chops’ workout in front of the TV with no amp, and if it feels like hard labor, I don’t even bother plugging into my rig.

Most days I'm pretty happy with mine.

I bounce between playing loud with a band during practices, and then low volume at home. I've just had to accept that I only get a really good high gain riffing tone when I can crank the volume to something unreasonable for home playing.

Ha. Show of shows (gun show) in Louisville this weekend… I, like skoora, won’t be practicing guitar.
Are there any good deals on new guns at shows or is it just finding good used ones. And by guns I mean guitars (but I don’t ) to keep it on topic…😂

Not to be the "the tone is in the fingers" guy, because I hate that, but this happens to me when I'm just having an "off" day. I don't gig or anything, sometimes with my job I get tied up and just don't have the energy to come home and play. I'll pick up a guitar after 2 weeks of not playing and absolutely rip and I love it. Then the next day, same guitar, same amp, I sound like crap and I just can't get that certain... je nais se quois... even though I'm technically hitting the right notes. I think it's the kind of thing that happens to even the best musicians really.

Are there any good deals on new guns at shows or is it just finding good used ones. And by guns I mean guitars (but I don’t ) to keep it on topic…😂
Ha. You can find everything at those shows.. prolly loose women and other unconscionable things as well. I stay focused and try to look creepy so people don’t bother me.

Back