Dirty Tree Huggers, in here

I messed with it some more last night and found a useable setting. I was pretty happy that I gave it another chance. until....... I had an SD1 and an MXR Badass OD in the chain, switched off the DT and stacked those 2 pedals. Made the DT sound generic and thin.
I've given up on chasing new and fancy drive pedals. I had a few of the ones with a lot of hype around them and thought they sounded fine, but always drift back to an SD-1. So I just gave in to it.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said haha!

Exactly, it doesn’t work for everything, but when it works, it’s the best. For some reason, I don’t have these issues alot of folks here are especially with the recto. I mean I’m clearly putting up clips that, in my opinion sound nothing close to harsh or thin, yet people are experiencing those issues. Not sure why that is, but there is some gap here, and im not sure what it is.

@headlessdeadguy sorry it’s not workin for you man, can you post a clip or something by any chance? I gotta hear what you are experiencing because I don’t get this at all.
I'll see if I can get something set up to record this weekend. I left everything as it was last night for just that reason.

I've given up on chasing new and fancy drive pedals. I had a few of the ones with a lot of hype around them and thought they sounded fine, but always drift back to an SD-1. So I just gave in to it.
I have an unhealthy obsession with OD/Boost pedals ( I think I have 50+) and the SD1 is always on the board.

I messed with it some more last night and found a useable setting. I was pretty happy that I gave it another chance. until....... I had an SD1 and an MXR Badass OD in the chain, switched off the DT and stacked those 2 pedals. Made the DT sound generic and thin.
Those are solid boosts that I’d probably choose as well over the DT through many amps. The DT I thought was pretty good overall, but imo had nothing to offer as a boost over the Protone Dino or Fortin 808 I’ve got. Anyone who likes the DT with Recto’s has gotta try the Fortin TS’s with theirs. I see what you mean with the generic part. For me it was more that inherently clinical, filtered pedal quality it had that was turning me off. Like many pedals, my core tone in a way I felt became a bit less lively with it despite the boost and helpful eq shaping it added. With my Badlander in my particular I like my Fortin 808 more than anything else I’ve got. Even my original Klon

But what makes this dirty 3 so different from all those TC clones out there? I guess there has been a fair bit on clone diyers out there whom they did theirs.... Or the DT mode just have their own set of eq thats smoking under their units?

But what makes this dirty 3 so different from all those TC clones out there? I guess there has been a fair bit on clone diyers out there whom they did theirs.... Or the DT mode just have their own set of eq thats smoking under their units?

It’s just a better sounding circuit. And it’s not just my opinion, it’s alot of peoples. I wish I could post the blind shoot out, but I have 7 clips of 7 different Tc Style clones: the DT, 33, grind, a few others, as well as 2 real TC preamps. This shootout was done in a professional studio done by some great people with great ears, all volume matched perfectly etc. they have shown this to over 50 pro bands, some of the biggest in metal. Not once ever has anyone picked a favorite that isn’t the DT clip, never once. The 33 is often in last place. Again, I know this is just hearsay, but take it for what it’s worth. It’s not for everyone apparently, and it doesn’t work with everything, but for amps with similar inputs such as the recto, it’s a ridiculously Great sounding tone.

It’s just a better sounding circuit. And it’s not just my opinion, it’s alot of peoples. I wish I could post the blind shoot out, but I have 7 clips of 7 different Tc Style clones: the DT, 33, grind, a few others, as well as 2 real TC preamps. This shootout was done in a professional studio done by some great people with great ears, all volume matched perfectly etc. they have shown this to over 50 pro bands, some of the biggest in metal. Not once ever has anyone picked a favorite that isn’t the DT clip, never once. The 33 is often in last place. Again, I know this is just hearsay, but take it for what it’s worth. It’s not for everyone apparently, and it doesn’t work with everything, but for amps with similar inputs such as the recto, it’s a ridiculously Great sounding tone.
Cool... Thanks !! I have a 33 and a grind... I have yet to try a dirty 3... Ya should get what i mean... Lol

Had high hopes for the DT pedal. Im playing a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 2x12. A charvel San Dimas and Fender Double Fat strat are my two electrics. Charvel in E standard/Strat E Flat. On both ch.3+4 the DT sounding pretty epic on the lower tuned strat. Was a bit to nasal on the charvel. I really hated it on ch.1+2. Was hoping to get a AC/DCish sort of break up going but it just sounded terrible.

I did fiddle with the T.C side of things but wasn't blown away enough to stay on that side. The DT setting could definitely excel for those who play really low tunings but not so much for me.

I wound up plugging my Precision Drive back in. I've found that pedal in the front and my MXR 10 band in the loop gives me the best sounds, especially at bedroom volumes. The built in adjustable Gate really shines IMHO.

Might just put up the DT on FB marketplace and see if I get any hits?

Exactly, it doesn’t work for everything, but when it works, it’s the best. For some reason, I don’t have these issues alot of folks here are especially with the recto. I mean I’m clearly putting up clips that, in my opinion sound nothing close to harsh or thin, yet people are experiencing those issues. Not sure why that is, but there is some gap here, and im not sure what it is.
It's because some guys are using newer V30s. 😆

Back