Does this circuit board look OK to you ?

ccn

Banned
My BOSS pedal is intermittently going on and off so I opened her up to see if I could find any obvious problems but I don't see any loose wires etc...

To anybody who knows about this stuff I just wanted to know if it looks OK to you . I bought this off of Reverb a few weeks ago and it seemed to stay on at first but now I'm having issues. It's the Overdrive/distortion pedal .

Thank you

P1040942[1].JPG
P1040941[1].JPG
P1040940[1].JPG
P1040932[1].JPG
P1040933[1].JPG
P1040936[1].JPG

Missing ground connection ?

EEcESKIh.jpg
Can it be that simple ? When I opened it up that's what popped out of the enclosure . It doesn't look like a wire was ever attached to it so I will grab a wire and ground it to see if that fixes it .

Thanks my friend

Can it be that simple ? When I opened it up that's what popped out of the enclosure . It doesn't look like a wire was ever attached to it so I will grab a wire and ground it to see if that fixes it .

Thanks my friend
I dunno.

That's the first thing that jumped out at me that didn't look right.

I can't see.. is that the tip or the sleeve connection there with no wire ?

The now with a small solder blob on it is the previous one with the hole in it that you put a red arrow on . I was in the process of soldering that connection to the open leg on the side of the plug .

Remember I'm a disaster waiting to happen with this shit , I know you know what you're doing I don't , I'll blow my house clean off it's foundation when it comes to this electrical stuff so I need guidance .

So, is there a loose wire in the pedal enclosure (one that's not connected to anything) ?

From what I can see, that's the sleeve (ground).. the lug with a solder blob where a wire was once connected.

PXTva2sh.jpg

Reactions: ccn
So, is there a loose wire in the pedal enclosure (one that's not connected to anything) ?

From what I can see, that's the sleeve (ground).. the lug with a solder blob where a wire was once connected.

PXTva2sh.jpg
No, there is zero evidence of a wire being connected there . So sign of a wire anywhere .

I'm thinking maybe it's why the guy selling it was selling it in the first place but I know it's not a very popular model .

If you aren't sure than you aren't sure, I appreciate your time in trying to help .

The issue you're having points (most likely) to a wire connection to either the board or a pot or jack about to break.

Either the solder joint, or the wire itself at the connection point (probably).

With the back open, you could play thru the pedal and use a chopstick to move one wire at a time to see when it starts cutting out.

You might also find it visually by using a magnifying glass and a bright light.

Just visually examine all wiring connections.

I was about to give up because I wasn't getting any signal but by accident the two ends of my guitar cables came into contact with each other and all of a sudden I had sound . When metal on metal does not make contact I get no sound but when they touch each other it's all good with great sound .

If I wasn't surrounded by people much smarter than myself I would just tape the two connectors together and jam but if at all possible I would like to avoid this , what do I need to do now ?

Thank you kindly

I hate taking up all PLX's time but he's the man and everybody knows it so if anybody else knows what to do please chime in.

P1040948[1].JPG

That tells me there’s a solder joint to ground that’s bad somewhere on the pedal.

I disagree with all of the conversation above - the pin that was never soldered wasn’t intended to be soldered.

Additionally, every one of these solder joints look highly suspicious and likely aren’t soldered at all:

E6FB95C6-0E15-43CE-974C-ADDA792B8F54.jpeg
F19DEB9E-A2F5-4483-9DD8-824957CFB731.jpeg

Last edited:
That tells me there’s a solder joint to ground that’s bad somewhere on the pedal.

I disagree with all of the conversation above - the pin that was never soldered wasn’t intended to be soldered.

Additionally, every one of these solder joints look highly suspicious and likely aren’t soldered at all:

View attachment 145186View attachment 145189
In defense of PLX , he made it clear he couldn't see the image of it close up and after checking the schematics he said it's not what he initially thought and corrected himself .

I appreciate your feedback

Thank you

In defense of PLX , he made it clear he couldn't see the image of it close up and after checking the schematics he said it's not what he initially thought and corrected himself .

I appreciate your feedback

Thank you
Ok, the schematic shows it's a chassis ground.. so it's not a missing ground wire on that jack.
With the jacks out of the enclosure, you have no ground connection to that jack - since it's relying on a physical connection to the metal enclosure.

Try putting that jack back into the enclosure and try testing for the bad connection once again.

The stranded wire used in effects pedals can be bend/moved 15~20 times.. then that 21st time it breaks. Maybe only some strands will break. That's when you get the issue you're describing.

Lifted trace on the board, cold solder joint.. next things to start looking at. But check the wiring first.

Back