Doug Aldrich got Tone

17.5 K, but it doesn't behave like a typical hot humbucker.

Check out post #12 in this thread ---> https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/what-is-the-dealeo-with-the-suhr-aldrich-pickups.112045/
I have the SSH+ which I think the Aldrich is based on. It def brings some grind, but is open, clear and cleans up all right.
When @scottosan came up with the Roxy, I told him I wanted something that had more low end like the SSH+, but remained tight, to replace the A2 JB that was in the Blackie Charvel he put together. He nailed it. If you dig the Aldrich (or Ssh+), but want it a bit tighter and more articulate, Roxy.

This post sent me down an Aldrich rabbit hole. He sounds as good with the Bogner as he does with his Suhr modded JMPs. Really liked the way he sounded thru the Bogner. Very nice.
Dude can play! Had to go jam my LP after watching. Made me realize, yet again, just how badly I want to replace those BB Pros.

Last edited:
The Roxy is pretty badass then? I've been wanting to dive into Scott's world of pickups lately.

Doug Aldrich is so talented it's ridiculous!

Yeah, I rarely find a Gibson pickup that I like. I'm spoiled by the old Dirty Fingers pickups Gibson made back in the early 80's.

I also like the 500T/496R set. They sound awesome through the right amp. The first time I heard that set of pickups my jaw hit the floor.

The Roxy is pretty badass then? I've been wanting to dive into Scott's world of pickups lately.

Yeah, I rarely find a Gibson pickup that I like. I'm spoiled by the old Dirty Fingers pickups Gibson made back in the early 80's.

I also like the 500T/496R set. They sound awesome through the right amp. The first time I heard that set of pickups my jaw hit the floor.
Try Scott's Psykes. It's his take on a DF. I have 2 vintage DF's myself...the DF is a unique pickup; the feel is unrivaled..but the lack of potting means you can struggle with feedback. The Psykes really gets the vibe of the DF without the feedback problem. Closest yet to nailing a real Shaw pickup.

I think they still make those dirty fingers! love that pickup

Try Scott's Psykes. It's his take on a DF. I have 2 vintage DF's myself...the DF is a unique pickup; the feel is unrivaled..but the lack of potting means you can struggle with feedback. The Psykes really gets the vibe of the DF without the feedback problem. Closest yet to nailing a real Shaw pickup.

The Psykes is the one I reeeeeeally want. I've been told the Gibson reissues don't come close to the old ones, so when I read about the Psykes, I wanted one! Hopefully soon.

The Psykes is the one I reeeeeeally want. I've been told the Gibson reissues don't come close to the old ones, so when I read about the Psykes, I wanted one! Hopefully soon.
It's good. Put one in my Explorer, dig it.

Just found this Dio stuff I never listened to, with Aldrich. Solo starts at 2:05:

@NorCal_Val said he saw him live a couple of weeks ago using his Blackstar amps.
Yeah. Sorry for the delay in replying. I’m a major Aldrich fan. So…, I don’t like being negative, but, his tone through those Blackstar amps was “not good”. We’d seen the Dead Daisies last October at the same club, and Doug’s tone, with his Marshalls, was killer. So f_cking killer.
With the Blackstars, it was like the notes he was playing were struggling to get out of the amp.
And, the tone was nasty. I’m not certain how to explain it; it was just “lacking”.

Ive been hesitant to change the bridge pickup in a 93 LP Standard as I like the sound it got. After hearing a lot of good reviews about the Aldrich pickup I got one and must say it sounds really good in the Standard. Glad I made a change.

Those Blackstars sound really good to my ear. The lead channel fairly standard but that crunch is where it shines and I'd bet he's pushing it most of the time with a pedal anyway. Now he could be doing it for the endorsement side of things but he doesn't strike me as that type of guy. If it was garbage and he wanted easy, he'd just boost DSL's or something.

I have an Aldrich in each of my Les Paul Axcess and one in a Fender CS. They all sound amazing! Love this pickup!

Yeah. Sorry for the delay in replying. I’m a major Aldrich fan. So…, I don’t like being negative, but, his tone through those Blackstar amps was “not good”. We’d seen the Dead Daisies last October at the same club, and Doug’s tone, with his Marshalls, was killer. So f_cking killer.
With the Blackstars, it was like the notes he was playing were struggling to get out of the amp.
And, the tone was nasty. I’m not certain how to explain it; it was just “lacking”.
I Felt the same way

A guy I know was playing with a band at a festival where Doug was playing and Doug liked their tone so much he came over after their set to check out their gear. They were playing DSL 2000s and TSLs
The DSL line never fails! Boosted..it's what all the greats end up plugging into ( and hiding behind their plexis) .. good sounding amps though.

Ive been hesitant to change the bridge pickup in a 93 LP Standard as I like the sound it got. After hearing a lot of good reviews about the Aldrich pickup I got one and must say it sounds really good in the Standard. Glad I made a change.

The Aldrich is an amazing in Superstrats, too. I've got an '87 Kramer with the Aldrich and it KILLS in that guitar. Sounds really good clean, too. I'm in love with that pickup.

Back