Egnater Vengeance Tube swapping

Tayamaj

Quick question, Mr. Egnater. I have the Vengeance and like the sound, but I wanted to swap the 6L6's for EL34's. I haven't heard anything back from the website's tech support, so thought I'd ask here. Do I have to to switch all four tubes or can I just change a pair of matched tubes?

By the way, I have the Tourmaster 4212 which I absolutely love, with the exception that it weights a ton. Also have the Tourmaster 212 cab that I'm using for the Vengeance b/c I don't need a 412 since they only mic one speaker anyway. Wanted to switch out the speakers (maybe just one) and wanted a good chunkiness. I have to turn the bass down b/c I get a farting noise, so I need a better speaker for the 'chunkiness' for my hard rock band. We tune a half step down and half our songs are drop d as well. Any suggestions on a good speaker to get? I've researched but there are so many speakers that I got tired of looking and listening to samples.

Thanks!

speakers wont cure the flub in the tourmaster. but the "m" mod will....

unless your amp is already "M" modded from the factory, basically a 2nd revision tourmaster. (it'll have an M before the serial #). in that case, u are:

a. running the gain TOO high
b. running the bass and resonance too high.

if you have the gain and bass above 2 on these amps, they get farty, regardless of the mods...the bass knob is actually REALLY effective...try turning your gain down to around 11 or 12 oclock, and keeping the bass where its at..then vice versa.

also, if you dont wanna mess with trying to redial your amp, plug into the low impedance input..it'll help tighten things up for you. theres a TON of tricks you can do with this amp to getting it optimal, once you have it dialed in.

to answer your question about speakers, i run a combination of cabs at any given time...and my amp sounds pretty tight (my mods are on switches on the back of the amp) when my mods are engaged.
i have a jcm 800 cab with celestion 100's in it x patterened with celestion t75s (all made in england). it's tight, big and woody sounding.
i also run an ampeg v412 with the same speaker combo, and it's drastically different sounding. it's darker, and a bit looser sounding, but still, not farty.
i frequently run a rivera q212 ported cab with the combo speakers, and it's a GREAT mix. the speakers in the rivera are celestion classic 80s, but are older..and that cab is really dark sounding. compared to the classic 80's in the combo (i leave the back open BTW), which can get really icepicky if you have treble and presence up high.

hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll def try your suggestions. How about my question about tube swapping. Do I need to swap a matched quad set or can I just swap a pair. For the Vengeance, if I use the 60watt setting, it only uses the two outer power tubes. If using the 120watt setting, it obviously uses all four power tubes.

i dont know anything about the vengeance my friend. sorry!

a speaker suggestion would be the celestion k100.

Yes you can just swap a matched pair out, since you have individual biasing for the outer tubes and inner tubes.

Back