EMG MIC vs EMG's 20+ years ago

Samhain

Banned
5e968572-4265-4596-9f10-5379f9a2d7b9.jpg

I have an EMG 81 i bought in the 90's in an old Charvel that screams & kicks arse sideways but i bought the Zakk set 81/85 last year for a LP and could not stand it at all. Sterile as a surgeon before an operation.
Anyone notice a difference between EMG's made in China and those made over 20 years ago ?

Very Much! I have a couple of Guitars with the Original 81's that were non quick connect & ones with the quick connect & there is a huge difference. The non quick connect ones i have are from the early to mid 90's & they sound warmer, not as sterile & just better.

People can quote specs all they want, but the old 81s and 85s 100% have more low mids and mids than the new MIC ones.

I seriously regret selling my 90s emgs right now - I assumed I could just buy new ones. But they are quite different sounding at least to my ear.

I disliked the new ones so badly I replaced all of my 81/85 guitars with retroactives, which I vastly prefer.

I bet the preamps are different. They may allow the factory to match specs, but use say a different Opamp than the original. Then again, they can change shit when they want. Maybe the man thinks the new sounds better..

Yes its true. I've A/B new vs old in the same guitar. The oldest 80's 'tan back' ones are the best sounding. Less output, less compression, more organic. Its still no PAF in terms of those attributes but the tonal hierarchy goes like this: 80's tan back > mid(?) 90's black back still with hardwired leads > anything quick connect

What about the X series? I like the sound of them TBH but not the newer original series.

I never found the fishman fluences to my liking, there was a guitar that had them loaded in a local store and even with a new battery they weren’t working.

I've totally found that the older EMG's (non quick connect) sound way better. When I was working at Sadowsky an old Sadowsky guitar came in on consignment with an EMG 89 in the bridge and two SA's for a HSS setup. MAN that thing was punchy and articulate. Wish I had had the scratch at the time to grab it. All white super strat with black hardware and a floyd. Boner town.

Back