Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

• Total voters
what happened?? Tell us!! I don’t even know what the Raven is?
Slate Raven touch console. Had it on Reverb. Dude reaches out and we opted to do it through PayPal (I know...)

he gets the thing. Loves it. Then opens a claim saying he didn’t get all the parts... even though he was USING all the parts!

he opened the claim with his bank and not PayPal so PayPal has no recourse.

Slate Raven touch console. Had it on Reverb. Dude reaches out and we opted to do it through PayPal (I know...)

he gets the thing. Loves it. Then opens a claim saying he didn’t get all the parts... even though he was USING all the parts!

he opened the claim with his bank and not PayPal so PayPal has no recourse.
What a bloody scumbag!!!

Omg... Vince sansevere... xiwiwix and his box of NOT a recto... classic stories. I’m glad 15 years later Vince sansevere is still a thing. I remember one time he tried to play me over the phone a “cover” by his band doing low by testament... it was the fucking record... that guy... wow... memory lane.

Did he do it while borrowing Dave Linsk‘s laptop... ???

Fuck Steev from Steiner Kraus/Mork Verden guitars. That piece of shit took a grand for a build and never came thru. Promised he was working on my guitar,then tried to fuck me outta another $1500 for another one that was completed. Said it was shipped,gave me a tracking number and everything. FedEx said he never arranged for pickup or brought the guitar in for shipping. All he did was make a label to buy himself more time. Dude is shady as fuck. Several others on other forums have since posted about that worthless scumbag.

Fuck Steev from Steiner Kraus/Mork Verden guitars. That piece of shit took a grand for a build and never came thru. Promised he was working on my guitar,then tried to fuck me outta another $1500 for another one that was completed. Said it was shipped,gave me a tracking number and everything. FedEx said he never arranged for pickup or brought the guitar in for shipping. All he did was make a label to buy himself more time. Dude is shady as fuck. Several others on other forums have since posted about that worthless scumbag.

My boy Raf is currently getting fucked by that guy too. What a piece of shit

Don‘t forget all the shit......
Fixed your quote ;-)

1613065345684.png

I had a dude on Reverb try to scam me out of a guitar I sold him nearly a year ago. It was a PRS Clint Lowery sig. He paid my full asking price, which should have been a red flag considering this was right when everything started getting locked down and everyone was supposedly being tight with money. But I digress. He messaged me saying he had issues with it being 'unplayable', pickups were weak (they were Fluence Moderns with extra new battery sent with it) and the low E string was buzzing really bad at the higher frets. Asked him to show me what he was talking about, as I was stumped because it was in perfect playing order when I sold it to him. He sent a vid showing the buzzing, then sent a pic of the low E side of the bridge screwed all the way down. He said he tried adjusting the action but that didn't work and he just wanted a full refund for a defective item. I pointed out that a simple bridge adjustment would easily fix the 'issue'. So I immediately started a dispute with Reverb because A) I know I didn't sell it like that B) He admitted to tinkering with it, and C) it is an easy fix that anyone buying a used guitar may have to do anyway upon delivery after shipping across the country. Reverb was on his side 100% and I still refused to give a full refund because he admitted he messed with it but I couldn't prove he was the one that did the 'damage'. So I messaged the guy, accused him of having buyer's remorse and dishonestly manipulating the guitar/fraud, and I even offered to take it back and 'fix it' for him, as well as pay for shipping back to me, and shipping back to him. He changed his tune pretty quick after that message, somewhat. So I get the guitar back, do a quick bridge adjustment and it's as good as it originally was when I first sent it, took pics of it, took a vid of it playing, and he accepted the guitar back again. Ultimately he left a good review as I did for him, but waited until he closed the dispute himself, but man that one really pissed me off. In the end I figured it was worth taking a $200 hit for shipping to 'make it right' than to lose $750 altogether.

And that, folks, was the last time I did anything on Reverb. It was that transaction that I realized the seller has zero power regardless of evidence.

I had a dude on Reverb try to scam me out of a guitar I sold him nearly a year ago. It was a PRS Clint Lowery sig. He paid my full asking price, which should have been a red flag considering this was right when everything started getting locked down and everyone was supposedly being tight with money. But I digress. He messaged me saying he had issues with it being 'unplayable', pickups were weak (they were Fluence Moderns with extra new battery sent with it) and the low E string was buzzing really bad at the higher frets. Asked him to show me what he was talking about, as I was stumped because it was in perfect playing order when I sold it to him. He sent a vid showing the buzzing, then sent a pic of the low E side of the bridge screwed all the way down. He said he tried adjusting the action but that didn't work and he just wanted a full refund for a defective item. I pointed out that a simple bridge adjustment would easily fix the 'issue'. So I immediately started a dispute with Reverb because A) I know I didn't sell it like that B) He admitted to tinkering with it, and C) it is an easy fix that anyone buying a used guitar may have to do anyway upon delivery after shipping across the country. Reverb was on his side 100% and I still refused to give a full refund because he admitted he messed with it but I couldn't prove he was the one that did the 'damage'. So I messaged the guy, accused him of having buyer's remorse and dishonestly manipulating the guitar/fraud, and I even offered to take it back and 'fix it' for him, as well as pay for shipping back to me, and shipping back to him. He changed his tune pretty quick after that message, somewhat. So I get the guitar back, do a quick bridge adjustment and it's as good as it originally was when I first sent it, took pics of it, took a vid of it playing, and he accepted the guitar back again. Ultimately he left a good review as I did for him, but waited until he closed the dispute himself, but man that one really pissed me off. In the end I figured it was worth taking a $200 hit for shipping to 'make it right' than to lose $750 altogether.

And that, folks, was the last time I did anything on Reverb. It was that transaction that I realized the seller has zero power regardless of evidence.

So you’re that dude who tried to screw me with a defective bridge screw that was all the way down!?!?
.... just joking, not me

That sucks though. I think the seller should set terms, the buyer agrees to them when buying and then the transaction should be judged based upon the agreed to terms, especially used gear between 2 people. The Buyer seems to get favored too much. Shameless plug, but that’s one reason I built ToneFind.

I remember so many of these, 357 customs wow, Vince Scamsaver and so on.

I personally got scammed on 2 separate occasions on JEMSITE neither of which came to a really GOOD conclusion but I did get some of the money/parts back.

Was ALMOST scammed by Mike Sherman if you guys remember that guy but thankfully an issue with paypal on his end prohibited me from losing my 2K.

I've been lucky on ebay though never got scammed or had anything show up broken on either end of the deal.

I feel like back in 99 when I opened my EBAY/Paypal account it was the wild west, but hearing some of the shit people are getting away with now via reverb and paypal/ebay I'm glad I stopped buying shit through there.

Reverb and PayPal are the worst. They side with the buyer 99% of the time. It’s an outrage!

a lot of scammers do the “partial refund,” scam now. Give them a few hundred bucks back, or they will demand a full return and get it. Once you become the seller, and you are dealing with reverb or PayPal, you get owned at will by the buyer.

this is an outrage!!

scammers, shysters and outright thieves are the worst type of scumbags. How could you be happy playing a guitar that you stole or scammed from someone? I guess if you are a sociopath it’s totally cool because nothing phases you.

we need to start a new scammer/shyster hunting site. We could get all the members from rigtalk so we always have a member near the scammer. Once the address is known, we send a team of “hunters,” out in order to capture the scammer or thief.

once captured the fun begins. The first game we would play is, “crawl through a field of broken glass covered in salt,” followed by a good ole game of, “the price is pain.” That will be broadcast live to all members of the shyster hunter website. Each member gets to suggest what form of “the price is pain,” is played and a vote will select the winner. It could be anything from a really minor game of “drilling a hole in the skull with a dull electric drill bit,” or something a little more painful like, “hungry fire ants get to eat,” or maybe even something as severe as, “put the lotion in the basket.” (Otherwise known as the flaming pepinillo)All filmed of course and broadcast and posted on all gear sites so they become a known shyster/thief.

mailman would be the perfect fit for “master hunter,” and he would lead a team of hunters and other members who are the, “torturers,” of course, mailman is also lead torture overlord. His main hunting weapon will be his rusty trombone. He wields this with the utmost authority, and it’s soon a feared and respected weapon of doom and dismay.

In the 90's I bought a Mesa "Mark IIC+" head on ebay. Turned out to be a Mark IIB. It was a good amp but I was bummed because at the time I really wanted specifically a IIC+, for obvious reasons. I eventually sold it to fund other gear purchases.

I was not exactly thrilled to find out Mesa could have modded it to IIC+ specs after I'd sold it. :)

So yeah, it wasn't the worst thing in the world but a single transaction did burn me enough that I still to this day do probably way more research on any given piece of gear I'm interested in than is probably necessary.

However, a few hours of buyer's remorse prevention in the form of making sure what you want is what you're getting, and making sure what you want is actually what you want in the first place, is definitely worth years of possibly looking back and wishing you'd have done things differently.

Last edited:
I've never been ripped off, but I'm lucky because I've done a ton of deals. However, all those deals did come back to haunt me because someone used my name on other boards and and started ripping people off. I found out about it when Kage called and left a message on my answering machine. I haven't done much buying and/or selling on the forums since.

I've never been ripped off, but I'm lucky because I've done a ton of deals. However, all those deals did come back to haunt me because someone used my name on other boards and and started ripping people off. I found out about it when Kage called and left a message on my answering machine. I haven't done much buying and/or selling on the forums since.
Did you find out who committed this act of subterfuge using your name?? That is an outrage!

Did you find out who committed this act of subterfuge using your name?? That is an outrage!
I remember seeing the guy's email address in the post, but not his name. I guess the guy ripped off more people using someone else's name too. FWIW it wasn't exactly my same name...he used petelaramie or petelarame or something like that, but it's clear what he was doing.

I remember back bout 2005. I had a rare Fernandes monkey grip jem I bought in Japan. Came with case. Beautiful guitar. Had NO TREM BAR!! which I stated in pics. And description. Guy gets it. Pits a claim into PayPal. Saying item. Not as described. This was a rare trem bar to find. Wanted $200 partial refund. Told him send me the guitar back. Only sold it like $900
He was in Michigan. Told him I will drive to his place. Cash in hand to give me back the guitar.
he dropped the case. ‘Oh I found one for $20

Fucking assholes

Back