Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

Ever been ripped off selling/buying gear online ?

• Total voters

Samhain

Banned
Just wondering how widespread this problem is.
I have been ripped off before but not by online sales but people have tried.

I've survived many attempts. The one time I think I was getting screwed on eBay, I won the dispute and collected enough to get the worn out amp repaired by a pro. I could DIY it today, but not 20 yrs ago.

Not yet but it’s because I’m overly selective and paranoid. Passed up some good gear because something wasn’t quite right or I had a bad vibe.

Be careful on reverb…
The Most recent couple items I sold on there were absolutely mint pristine condition, but some how, miraculously, when the buyer got them, something didn’t work right on each item, they asked for some money back for repairs… (BS)
It’s a very corrupt the world we live in😑

A guy tried to rip me off on ebay.
I posted about it on here.
He lied about description and I tried to give it back and even pay shipping or meet him as it was within driving distance from my house.
He refused to take the guitar back.
I contacted ebay.
They sent a return tag and forced the return.
I was very thankful !

Bought a tremoverb from a military guy in Germany that used an American address to sell it. He didn’t double box and used stiff styrofoam to package it. The box flexed shoving styrofoam info the back of the amp shattering every tube and screwing up a few tube sockets. He was eventually banned from here for not admitting fault due to poor packaging and made me handle the USPS claim all on my own. I faught hard and was able to get the refund and also keep the amp. I eventually replaced the sockets but sold it at a loss as I didn’t want to be around it anymore.

Almost got screwed on a Vintage 30 speakers deal on the local Kijiji. sent the money via PayPal. No speakers and seller disappeared. Luckily my financial institution took care of the issue and worked with PayPal on resolving the issue and they got me my money back. Aside from that, I've had great lucky with Ebay and Reverb.

Be careful on reverb…
The Most recent couple items I sold on there were absolutely mint pristine condition, but some how, miraculously, when the buyer got them, something didn’t work right on each item, they asked for some money back for repairs… (BS)
It’s a very corrupt the world we live in😑
Ive heard stories of buyers receiving fully functional amps, then pulling the amp chassis' and claiming the headshell was empty when they got it. Then either Ebay or Reverb siding with the buyer making the seller pay.
Also how the hell is an interstate trade deal suppose to work ?
Do people just think you're supposed to trust them on the honor system in 2021 to ship you a guitar or amp with no buyer protection ?

Not gear

But dealt with liars before. No tolerance.

Our first house ended up having a leaky basement and evidence of that was hidden behind boxes. Home inspectors are not allowed to touch personal property. Home owners said basement was bone dry and never leaked. Turned out house was on top of a natural spring basically and hydrostatic pressure caused severe flooding every time it rained hard. We spent $10K on sump pump and drain tile. We took them to small claims court and lost because we were supposed to sue the home inspector - which I wasn't going to do out of principal. I just wanted to see them squirm in court and for them to know that I knew they were liars. Fucking worst. /rant I feel better now :LOL:

Not gear

But dealt with liars before. No tolerance.

Our first house ended up having a leaky basement and evidence of that was hidden behind boxes. Home inspectors are not allowed to touch personal property. Home owners said basement was bone dry and never leaked. Turned out house was on top of a natural spring basically and hydrostatic pressure caused severe flooding every time it rained hard. We spent $10K on sump pump and drain tile. We took them to small claims court and lost because we were supposed to sue the home inspector - which I wasn't going to do out of principal. I just wanted to see them squirm in court and for them to know that I knew they were liars. Fucking worst. /rant I feel better now :LOL:
I was gonna say, the inspector first and also the title company, as they have to abide by the inspection. But ultimately the seller is the real A-hole. Wow.
I've had 2 occurrences, one on eBay-sold a Marshall VM and the guy said it 'had a problem' and 'if I refunded him 200 his tech could take care of it'.....then later the same day I noticed he had THE SAME AMP up for sale, using MY PICS for 500 more than what I sold it for. Lol. Won that dispute fairly fast. Next was on Reverb a few yrs back...guy got my amp and tried to return A DIFFERENT ONE of the same model. I had pics to prove it but Reverb sided with the buyer. I shut everything down on Reverb and told them to stuff it. Fuck them.

Never. I had one issue with a power amp not working. The seller ended up giving it to me. I’ve had 100’s of transactions including buying tubes direct from China and sending $500+ to a person.

I was gonna say, the inspector first and also the title company, as they have to abide by the inspection. But ultimately the seller is the real A-hole. Wow.
I've had 2 occurrences, one on eBay-sold a Marshall VM and the guy said it 'had a problem' and 'if I refunded him 200 his tech could take care of it'.....then later the same day I noticed he had THE SAME AMP up for sale, using MY PICS for 500 more than what I sold it for. Lol. Won that dispute fairly fast. Next was on Reverb a few yrs back...guy got my amp and tried to return A DIFFERENT ONE of the same model. I had pics to prove it but Reverb sided with the buyer. I shut everything down on Reverb and told them to stuff it. Fuck them.
WOW. Yeah, I remember you telling that story before. And what sucks the most is that people don't seem to value their own time or the time of others. Time is money essentially. The time he took to screw you and then the time you had to take to deal with that. B.S.

I never had a problem until a year and a half ago... it was on Ebay. Since then Ive stopped selling through ebay and no longer use paypal.. If I ever see something I want, I ask if I can send a bank check for payment. I havent purchased anything since then lol Never had an issue on this forum or Harmony Central

Once about 15 years ago I bought a Mic Pre from someone in South America, forgot the country. Paid and never heard anything ever agin. It was only about $75. Otherwise, never any major scam.

I've had things arrive with a scratch or something minor not described plenty of times, but I've never complained about it, it's the price of buying used gear to me.

I did. It was supposed to be a trade a JB/Jazz set for I don't remember what DiMarzio set. Guy never sent his set. Gave me the run around for days until I couldn't get a hold of him.

I've been lucky but I've seen some good people get royally shafted.

Do you guys remember that old school HCAF dude xixixiwiwi, something like that? I know his name was Roland and he bought a recto and got a box of floor tiles...
They were ceiling tiles. The guy was supposedly selling stuff from his studio and was selling Rectos for like $500 (or something stupid cheap). He sold like 10 amps and shipped ceiling tiles. He then tried to say the shipping company stole the amps.

Back