Ever wonder if an EVH Wolfgang special is aerodynamic?

Scuba200ft

They are.

It flew right over my dum set, and came in on a nice straight landing on my carpet, stopping just short of my corner. Good thing too, because my baseboards dont look very forgiving......I think I woke my dog though.

I bought one used to dick around with, always liked Wolfgangs and love the EBMM EVH's. Have a few of each. Figured that since this had the same hardware as the US version, made in Japan which is rarely a bad thing, would toy around with this, then order a US version.

Shitty trem, shitty springs, the nut wont hold strings, the neck bends like a 70's sg, the pickup sounds like scooped ass, the fret ends were like razors...

I have about 60 or 70 floyded guitars here. I know how to keep one running. I couldnt get this one to.

So I let it fly and felt MUCH better. Hopefully a real Floyd and nut will fix things.

Thanks Ed for putting out this piece of crap. Some poor kid is going to save up a grand for one of these and get shafted.

EVH, fucking over one generation at a time.

I was at Guitar Center in Atlanta last week and played three of the Japanese specials and a US EVH Wolfgang. One of the specials had fret edges so sharp and protruding I believe it could have literally sliced my hand. Even the GC salesperson mentioned it. The other two specials were OK, but all three of the specials had a poorly routed neck pocket. I had noticed this on a pic of one for sale on one of the forums. On the bass side of the neck pocket, the 1/2 of the neck pocket nearest the headstock is routed crooked.
Very disappointed by what I've seen of the specials.
The US Wolfgang was incredible, just like the one I played in Nashville a couple of years ago when they first came out.

guitup too":38oz5fx7 said:
I was at Guitar Center in Atlanta last week and played three of the Japanese specials and a US EVH Wolfgang. One of the specials had fret edges so sharp and protruding I believe it could have literally sliced my hand. Even the GC salesperson mentioned it. The other two specials were OK, but all three of the specials had a poorly routed neck pocket. I had noticed this on a pic of one for sale on one of the forums. On the bass side of the neck pocket, the 1/2 of the neck pocket nearest the headstock is routed crooked.
Very disappointed by what I've seen of the specials.
The US Wolfgang was incredible, just like the one I played in Nashville a couple of years ago when they first came out.

Again, if the custom shop version REALLY is better, I am in, but this one is a hunk of ass.

After tossing it, I had to spend 10 minutes on a Tyler just to get my heart rate down.

Wow. I had no idea that this would be the case with the EVH Wolfgang Specials. I still haven't played one yet, but was planning on it eventually. Glad to hear these stories beforehand...think I'll pass. Way to go, Ed.

I tried a special, and then a E.B. Sterling AX40..

I thought the Sterling was 10 x's better in looks and quality.. Neck was a lot better..
Plus it is a lot cheaper than the Special :thumbsup:

You know, I didnt really buy it to save a few bucks. I bought it because it was a good test run before buying a US and everyone and their sister was saying "Oh, its wonderful, the only difference between this and the us is the carved top". Well if thats true, Ed's a bigger douchebag than I thought he was, and thats saying something.

THIS is the best EVH guitar ever made...

IMG_4058.jpg

50fd4fb9.jpg

And the Charvels are awesome too...

IMG_1268.jpg

The custom shop version is better, but its still a rip off for what it is. Near the 3K mark you can get a Suhr Modern, Tom Anderson or any other much much better guitar IMO

Nico":1cs3ihtl said:
The custom shop version is better, but its still a rip off for what it is. Near the 3K mark you can get a Suhr Modern, Tom Anderson or any other much much better guitar IMO

$3k at full boat. But noone is paying anywhere near that. Closer to $2k.

And I have plenty of other high end guitars, but the honest truth is, Eddie designs VERY comfy guitars that play wonderful. Matter of fact, I'd take my EVH Axis' over any Suhr I've ever owned, but thats why there is more than one company out there.

I am now finding lots of threads about the crap hardware on the special, and that it has no relation to the US.

We shall see.

Not to mention, when you can grab used axis' at $950 or so, this is a moot point.

I think i'll make a clock out of this.

I have an old red Axis made in 2005 thats done hundreds of gigs. I had to put a shim under the neck to bring it up a bit after one too many years of abuse but the neck is worn in to the point of being like an old pair of slippers, very very comfortable.

I was lucky enough to be in a store this week where I played a new Axis right next to the US Wolfgang. Acoustically the Wolf was streets ahead big sustaining sound not plugged in and nice sustaining upper fret notes, extremely well built. I would lean towards the Axis neck ever so slightly over the Wolf, seems to be slightly narrower or certainly feels smaller in my hands

That said neither of them felt close to the older Axis so I decided I dont need another guitar for now.

I thought the Wolf would be worth the extra dollars over a new Axis though purely based on the tone coming out of the wood and the neck I'm sure I'd get used to pretty quickly.

The EBMM EVH is sadly missed :(

My biggest gripe with the EBMM EVH is that the body needs to be chamfered as it digs into my forearm and stomach. Otherwise it's one of my alltime favs.

I've played a few Andersons, great guitars. Can't say I've played a Suhr.
IMO the US Wolfgangs are comparable to Anderson in terms of quality. It would come down to personal preference from there.

Nico":2n5nk406 said:

THIS is the best EVH guitar ever made...

IMG_4058.jpg

This is a 100% true genius post. I am in a position to judge.

7mdq00

Hey, we have the same color EB EVH. I want to quantify I am not a member of the Ernie Ball Kool Aid Psycho forum, I just like the guitars.

I tried two Japan EVH's the other week at a music store, they seemed ok to me as far as playability. There were no sharp frets or finish flaws that I could tell....I didn't plug them in to hear them.

I've owned Wolfgang's and EBMM's...the differences are too slight to matter for me, I could use either at any time.

Love 'em :rock:

wait, you bought a japanese made guitar and are downing all wolfgangs because you didnt buy USA?

my USA wolfgang special was one of the best playing/sounding guitars i ever had. damn thing NEVER went out of tune - no matter if it was 32 degrees outside or 103 in the bright summer sun.

FWIW im having the same problem with sharp fret ends on my japanese ESP - sending the fucker back as we speak and dealing with the vice president of product correlations and my dealer as we speak. had some other neck problems as well. Rig-Talk will get the full update once things are all fixed....

must be something in the wood they are using these days.

glpg80":pbacs52h said:
wait, you bought a japanese made guitar and are downing all wolfgangs because you didnt buy USA?

You need to re-read.

I am downing THIS Japanese Fender/EVH Wolfgang. Not All wolfgangs. I love Wolfgangs. What I am also saying is, they have stated that these have the same hardware, pickups,etc....As the US custom shop version. IF that is the case, and I would find that hard to believe, then the US model is a turd.

That being said, I have a US version on the way. It wasnt a fiscal decision to buy the Japanese one first, trust me. It was a locale decision.

In addition, I cant remember the last time I have purchased a Japanese guitar (Not korea-China-Taiwan-Mexico-Sri Lanka), which hardly even happens anyway, that wasnt absolute perfection.

This one couldnt be further from it. The hardware was not made to a standard, it was made to a price point. Period. Now. I didnt pay full boat for this, not even close, but for a guitar that is selling in the $1200 range, it's a complete sham.

Its all relative.

I guess if you are in my shoes, and go from playing a Tyler to this, you notice how shitty it really is. Well, anyone would notice if they used the trem at all.

If you are going from a Jay Turser to this, maybe you'd be ecstatic. Until you used the trem of course. Wouldnt you think if you are going to sell an EVH branded guitar that you might want to pay particular attention to the trem?

I am not sure yet, but I suspect I can just purchase a real FR R2 nut and drop it right in (Although the radius of those is 10"), and a real FR, not this stamped POS. But we will see.

Scuba200ft":j1xk2r85 said:
Hey, we have the same color EB EVH. I want to quantify I am not a member of the Ernie Ball Kool Aid Psycho forum, I just like the guitars.

LOL! That forum is EXACTLY that! I could see them becoming the next "Jonestown Massacre", with Sterling Ball taking the part of Jim Jones. Those fuckers would definitely drink the Kool-Aid on command....bunch of suckass yes-men! :D

Back