EVH 5150 III 4x12

Panhead5

I've thought about buying one of these cabs and was wondering about the general concensus of them. I have alot of different cabs but for some reason want to try one of these out with the EVH speakers . I'm not really sure what they sound like except from Youtube . Thoughts!!! Anyone have one??

Fantastic cabs but I swapped out the EVH speakers for UK Greenback reissues. The EVH were too soft and honky IMO. In comparison to my real 68’ Marshall cab with original greenbacks, it’s really close with the Greenback reissues……maybe a hair darker.

I have one and love it like crazy. Well made and I think the EVH speakers sound incredible. I had some Chinese Greenbacks (which some say they prefer I think I read?) and I didn't like them nearly as well. To each their own, certainly.

Reactions: ccn
Great cab. I've had one for 6-7 years. I researched and per a celestion rep, the EVH speakers in these cabs are literally rebadged UK heritage greenbacks. They're labeled 20w for nostalgia but the rep confirmed they are 25w.

Last edited:
One of the most underrated 4x12 cabs IMO. They don't get enough praise for how good they sound.

Reactions: ccn
Last weekend I had a chance to try one side by side with a PRS 412 cab with Vintage 30. I know it's not exactly a good comparison in the sense of both cabinets having the same speakers, but overall, I was very impressed with the cab with both a Splawn Nitro head and a Wizard modern classic head.

Sounded very tight, punchy and had a good amount of mids and cut to it. I did find you have to be careful with those EVH speakers when using lots of mids, they can definitely sound honky if pushed with lots of mids. The cab handled volume and gain no issues as well.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Cheers

How is the low end compared to say a can with v30s suck as a Marshall
I'd say they handled the low end differently. I am a fan of the V30s my self, and to my ears the PRS 412 with V30 seemed to handle the low a bit better I found. the EVH was still tight but sort of in a different way. Kind of hard to describe without hearing it in person.

I'd say they handled the low end differently. I am a fan of the V30s my self, and to my ears the PRS 412 with V30 seemed to handle the low a bit better I found. the EVH was still tight but sort of in a different way. Kind of hard to describe without hearing it in person.
That’s my only worry with it . I’ve yet to hear it in person . For extreme stuff greenbacks bass is not for me

I would say bass isn't it's strongest-suit, but when I take the casters off and put it on the floor and crank it, it does a great job in my opinion. Doesn't sound like an Orange 4x12. lol But, you know.

I had a Friedman 4x12 with the Greenbacks/V30's when I got the BE100-D and really preferred the EVH over it. I just liked the sound of it quite a bit better. Could be the difference in speakers. Not sure.

How is the low end compared to say a can with v30s suck as a Marshall

I like my Mesa OS 4x12 with V30's, but I like my EVH 4x12 cab more. It's hard to explain.

The Mesa is a great sounding cab for sure. But the EVH sounds just a bit sweeter. It's a bit smoother without sounding darker, and while the Mesa has a lot of low end, the EVH has a low end that seems maybe like it breathes or resonates in a more lively way, which is unsurprising given how overbuilt and stiff the Mesa cab is.

But yeah the EVH 4x12 is my favorite 4x12 cab.

Last edited:
My main cabs are a 1960BX and an EVH 4X12. I run them together and the EVH is just a touch smoother. Could use either one and be happy.

I would say bass isn't it's strongest-suit, but when I take the casters off and put it on the floor and crank it, it does a great job in my opinion. Doesn't sound like an Orange 4x12. lol But, you know.

I had a Friedman 4x12 with the Greenbacks/V30's when I got the BE100-D and really preferred the EVH over it. I just liked the sound of it quite a bit better. Could be the difference in speakers. Not sure.
Is there a lot more low end in the Friedman vs EVH?

Is there a lot more low end in the Friedman vs EVH?

Just sold a Friedman cab and it was a little darker than the EVH in the room. Excellent choice for the best of both worlds with the V30's and GB's. Still sounded great and I would have kept it but needed to clear up some space.

I like greenbacks with my old Marshalls but not much else. So this
I like my Mesa OS 4x12 with V30's, but I like my EVH 4x12 cab more. It's hard to explain.

The Mesa is a great sounding cab for sure. But the EVH sounds just a bit sweeter. It's a bit smoother without sounding darker, and while the Mesa has a lot of low end, the EVH has a low end that seems maybe like it breathes or resonates in a more lively way, which is unsurprising given how overbuilt and stiff the Mesa cab is.

But yeah the EVH 4x12 is my favorite 4x12 cab.
I guess I really should try in person

That’s my only worry with it . I’ve yet to hear it in person . For extreme stuff greenbacks bass is not for me
Swap the speakers for something you like if you don't want that woody midrange and warmer bass sound of the Greenbacks. V30s, DV77s, H75s, and so on. Or grab a used Mesa or Engl cab. Omega cabs are also cool for death metal.

Back