EVH 5150 III 50W 6L6 vs EL34

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

I now have both the EVH 5150 III 50W 6L6 and the EL34 so it made a lot of sense for me to make a comparison of both! While I was working on the comparison however, the new 6L6 amp broke down and I had to get a replacement from Thomann. Luckily they sorted it out very quickly and I had my new head within a couple of days! Wonderful! :)

In short: the 6L6 is more tight and bright overall but in most cases the difference is quite subtle. The blue channels, that's where the biggest difference is at as you'll hear in the comparison. The EL34's blue channel is more fat and loose. There still is a difference with the green and red channels though. I don't know whether that's because of the different powertubes, the general voicing of the amp or maybe biasing? Either way, this was a lot of fun!

I hope you find it useful:

Somehow the 6L6 is more of a real VH sound than the EL34. Makes me question the whole "Magic Plexi" thing.

Are the 6L6 JJs
I have always found those tubes have a nice upper mid to them
I think JJ mentions it themselves they

I now have both the EVH 5150 III 50W 6L6 and the EL34 so it made a lot of sense for me to make a comparison of both! While I was working on the comparison however, the new 6L6 amp broke down and I had to get a replacement from Thomann. Luckily they sorted it out very quickly and I had my new head within a couple of days! Wonderful! :)

In short: the 6L6 is more tight and bright overall but in most cases the difference is quite subtle. The blue channels, that's where the biggest difference is at as you'll hear in the comparison. The EL34's blue channel is more fat and loose. There still is a difference with the green and red channels though. I don't know whether that's because of the different powertubes, the general voicing of the amp or maybe biasing? Either way, this was a lot of fun!

I hope you find it useful:

Nice! I think that's a great comparison.

Back