Fave Boosts For Splawn - Go

Junk Yard Dog

Been using a TC Electronic Big Spark in the mid boost mode. I like it ok, but looking to see what other ones you guys like. I usually run gain between 10-12:00 in Gear 1-2 & boost from there.

Reactions: PDC
I use a few in the Fractal FX8,
for higher gain boosting for solo's I 've been using the Eternal Love pedal
for fattening up lower gain blusier stuff the RC pedal clones are all really good
for my 7 string "metal" stuff I use the tube screamer that's in there.
there are like 30 OD models in the Fractal LOl! I could spend all day going through them, most of them are very good

Friedman Buxom Boost and Boss SD1 has worked for me. Running the SD1 like you would a Tube Screamer (gain off volume all the way, tone to taste) gives just enough extra to recognize that it’s doing something, little more gain and a little more tight. And you can find an SD1 used fairly cheap compared to the others I mentioned. Just recently got a Horizon Devices Precision Drive so I’ll be testing it too. Also curious to try a Friedman Golden Pearl to boost. The BEOD imo was just too much. Way too much gain on tap even with the gain trim inside all the way down.

Cool, thx guys. I had a Keeley SD-1 & Buxom Boost. Didn't love either, but I did like them a lot. The BB added a bit of noise, but it was different enough from the other TS Variants.

Curious about the Precision & Golden Pearl as well.

Cheers, fellas. Thanks for chiming in.

Dunlop EchoPlex EP101 boost pedal. Its asymetrical clipping OD pedal, works great with Cleans, low gain and highgain. It adds this warmth to the overall tone but still leave it cutting without adding that annoying sounding high end.

From just messing with a little with the Precision Drive, I can say IMO it’s not for me. Only because this pedal is designed to bring back clarity from using lower tunings and I will say that’s where it shines. It’s not needed for my classic rock band stuff, but for lower tunings, 7 strings, etc, this is what you use it for.

Used a 50 watt Splawn not too long ago on a session for a friend, tried the SD 805 into it and it was an excellent combination.
I have the SD 805. I may need to try it again, but I find l was dialing back the mid-knob a bit. Will report back once I've had a chance to fire it up.

hey everyone.. sorry I didnt get a chance to make a video, but posted my feedback here about the Source Audio ZIO boost when I hooked it up earlier this evening.
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/source-audio-zio-pedal.238850/
You might want to give the Precision Drive a try. I played with it at band practice last weekend and I was able to make it work with E flat tuning. I stated before that it was intended for lower tunings and 7 strings and so on, but I was able to dial in a nice tight sound. Definitely tightens the hell out of it and cuts bass. I see you mention palm mutes being meh with the Zion. I think you’d like like how to the Precision Drive takes on the palm mutes. After all, we’re talking about a product Misha Mansoor helped design lol

You might want to give the Precision Drive a try. I played with it at band practice last weekend and I was able to make it work with E flat tuning. I stated before that it was intended for lower tunings and 7 strings and so on, but I was able to dial in a nice tight sound. Definitely tightens the hell out of it and cuts bass. I see you mention palm mutes being meh with the Zion. I think you’d like like how to the Precision Drive takes on the palm mutes. After all, we’re talking about a product Misha Mansoor helped design lol
Thank you. I may check into that after the ZIO sells.

I have a few Splawns, but have been using the Mini -Competition for quite awhile at my gigs. I guess my favorite boost is the Fulltone OCD as that's always on my pedalboard with this amp at gigs. I also have a DCW Jam-Ray that's great with it, the Suhr original Kokoboost is great, the MI-audio Blue Boy is, the Komet Mirasol is , and I can probably name a dozen others. There's only a few I don't like with it and 1 is the Airis Savage Drive, but I love that with many other amps. Just a matter of mixing/matching to figure out what works the best

Eric

Back