Favorite VH brown sound in a pedal solutions?

After trying the Musicman HD130 to reamp I think I prefer my 67 Fender drip edge Bandmaster but the Musicman doesn't suck by any means. The Bandmaster just has that little bit more je ne sais quoi..............
All it ever was, was a clean boost into the front end of a Plexi.

Be it a Fender Bandmaster or a little 3-transistor clean boost.

:coffee:

I found that pic used for the video interesting...........................

Do you see the plexi standing on end next to the 4x12 cabinet then being reamped into the Fender drip edge bandmaster?

Baaaaaaabooom.................

PS.... that solo clip is from the October 15 1977 Pasadena Civic show.....
So....slaving.

I agree about the overall final polished sound being on VH1 is somewhat attributable to the Pultec EQ and other preamps and such as Jim Gaustad points out but that does not explain why Ed was getting almost identical album tones on the 78 tour without the benefit of the studio EQ sculpting. IMHO I believe the Pasadena Civic was the most album like between the two shows and it was LIVE.

I present exhibit A, Pasadena Civic October 15, 1977

I present exhibit B, Selland Arena show September 22, 1978, he was not even using 12301 at this show and the tone is stellar.

Doesn't have to be a Pultec to add that eq sauce. That could be coming from the live board easy. You can't tell me live like this that the pultec is gonna make or break the EQ formula. The push in the right frequencies make that sound with the hands. But I get what you are saying. Whenever I hear it, it's 1. Slaving , 2. An aggressive plexi with variac that get the job done 3. Him running eq I'm front of the amp for push and sculpt.

i had this bootleg record in high school and it and the first vh albums inspired me to stack delays. one for a short prominent slapback echo ambiance to thicken the tone and a second longer feedback delay, mixed lower and blended with the reverb to add sustain to the lead notes.

Doesn't have to be a Pultec to add that eq sauce. That could be coming from the live board easy. You can't tell me live like this that the pultec is gonna make or break the EQ formula.
Exactly my point Kapo..............that why I keep reposting those live shows because it literally shows he was getting the tone live without any studio crap. Here's what we have with photographic proof and Ed own admissions used up front of the plexi no Pultecs involved whatsover in those 1977-78 live shows and Ed's getting a great VH1 album tone. Was it as polished as the album tone....NO..... but it was damn close.

Franky(7.6-9k) PAF>MXR flanger>MXR phase 90>MXR 6band EQ(looper pedal)> EP3 echoplex(short slapback), EP3 Echoplex(long delay 300ms/350ms)> Marshall amp>loadbox>Power amp heads Ed was known to have used, Marshall Super Bass/Superleads, Fender Bandmaster's, Musicman HD130 HD65, Vox's>then probably two cabinets per power amp head or however he wanted to set it up as two rigs( one) as a back up.)

Also go back and listen to those room mic clips of Jamie Cryin, you can hear the echoplexes were in front of the plexi when he recorded the album the same as who he set it up live.

Gaustad even gets the gain a tone without any EQ in his signal chain.............MXR flanger, Phase 90, 1 EP3 Echoplex, Marshall variaced to 65-70 ACV, Marshall cabinet(I think blackback 25 watters if I remember correctly) Gaustad used and A-5 Gibson Burstbucker in his first VH1 brown sound video.

Gaustad's amp is a Metro kit amp and my amps are Metro kit amps built to the Ed spec's that are out there for years now, they are not NOS 1968 Marshall amps and they have more than enough gain and the basic tone to get the job done. A magic amp might help some but the Selland Arena show was WITHOUT 12301, they were all mid to late 70's Marshall Superleads so I doubt Ed had Jose mod them all in short order my guess is Ed didn't need to have them modded, it's how he uses them, Gaustad proves that over and over.

Here's what we have with photographic proof below, if you have a particularly gainy Marshall then the MXR EQ probably only be used for solos or if you want things tighter and more aggressive like I'm the one, Atomic punk...you get the point. The formula is really quite simple then you add Ed's hands.......I don't have Ed's hands but the 69 Marshall in my video gets the tone, the attack, the feedback and the gain with or without the Boss 7 Band EQ and when it's on it only boosts about 5-6DB at 800hz 1600hz then its cutting woofy lows and highs, that's it, it's what I call a flat mids boost and doesn't sound middy at all it's merely there to tighten things up and cut piercing highs out of the signal. I think my video proves you do not need to reamp to get the basic tone and you can get it a reasonable volume with the Lar/Mar and/or and attenuator and a single cabinet with the right speakers of your choice. The cabinet in the video has Celestion Heritage Reissue 55HZ 12H-30's. But bascially pick the speakers you like, 25 watt greenbacks or 12H-30. The 55HZ 30 watt sounds more correct to my ears after cycling through alot of speakers (except real pulsonic 0014 coned 25 watters), I just happen to like them. Some people don't like the 55HZ speakers and to each their own, that's what's in the video. I will add that my 1972 Marshall sounds the same as my 69 does in the video so it is reproducable with the stock two gain stages of a plexi superlead.

That Tom Holmes 455 sounds really good Mentoneman! I picked up some Arcane's PAF clones to try out because he supposedly trained under Tom Holmes but I bought the set for a Les Paul I got rid of so I sold them. I would love to try a regular black one.

That Tom Holmes 455 sounds really good Mentoneman! I picked up some Arcane's PAF clones to try out because he supposedly trained under Tom Holmes but I bought the set for a Les Paul I got rid of so I sold them. I would love to try a regular black one.

i’ve loved my holmes 450 since i loaded it and into my tyler way back when. i’d like to hear the arcanes too.

i’ll tell you a pickup that is excellent and the first brand i’ve tried that reminded me of holmes is the tone specific PAFs.

the fralins pafs are also killer.

was thinking the UA Lion would be my next VH weapon of choice to slap into my rack, but the more clips of that pedal i listen to, the less enthusiastic i become….

Reactions: PDC
IMG_1723.jpeg
Anybody? Laugh if you must it’s actually a really good pedal.

I'm fairly certain David Phillips(LA sound and design) uses an XTS atomic overdrive to get the tones at a low volume with his EVH rigs. Here ya go...

that may have sounded close in the room but i wouldn’t consider that recording the sound i was after

Really? It sounds pretty amazing from what I've heard.
PT’s clip was great but every other clip out there i’ve seen or heard doesn’t even come close to eddie’s brown sound, and that’s the only reason i’d be interested in it. i’d really have to play one to hear in person and feel the response to make sure it has the proper bounce and dynamic.

if it doesn’t outperform my attenuated peacemaker with a cheap $50 nux plexi crunch pedal, there is no point.

the Lion in concept—capturing the accurate era of plexi amp, variac, eq and speakers in a small pedal—is very attractive.

Back