Fender Player series let down

GuitarGuy08

Hello all,

Short one here. I went to a local shop and was trying various guitars off the wall. The setups could have been better but that is not what was throwing me off about the guitars I was trying.

The two player series guitars I picked up with maple boards had some very obvious flaws.

What stuck out the most? The amount of lacquer on the fretboards were laughably thick - I mean, you could literally see it coming over the base of all the frets. Didn't look solid either, like they moved them while they are wet so it kind of 'pools' up and slides around before setting.

Again, laughably bad. I wish I would have snapped photos. BTW: I have always been a maple board fan and have never ever seen junk like this from Fender, hell even on Squiers I didn't see this crap.

$800+.... Really?

Hello all,

Short one here. I went to a local shop and was trying various guitars off the wall. The setups could have been better but that is not what was throwing me off about the guitars I was trying.

The two player series guitars I picked up with maple boards had some very obvious flaws.

What stuck out the most? The amount of lacquer on the fretboards were laughably thick - I mean, you could literally see it coming over the base of all the frets. Didn't look solid either, like they moved them while they are wet so it kind of 'pools' up and slides around before setting.

Again, laughably bad. I wish I would have snapped photos. BTW: I have always been a maple board fan and have never ever seen junk like this from Fender, hell even on Squiers I didn't see this crap.

$800+.... Really?
I concur, my experience as well.

For the same money range, I found the Charvel guitars to feel like better quality. Which is weird because they should be the same.

I concur, my experience as well.

For the same money range, I found the Charvel guitars to feel like better quality. Which is weird because they should be the same.
Right? I don't get it. The tele I saw had such a sick piece of maple for the neck tho. I know it is just chance, but at least there's that lol

Reactions: Geo
Back