fortin evil pumpkin, seems like a really good deal (ie price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always enjoyed talking to Mike.
He was a funny guy. Good sense of humor.
Been several years since I seen him round here.
Sure at that level things get hairy.
I’m just a low life garage player. :LOL: :LOL:

Mailman1971":3q2r3i8x said:
I hear that shit ;) Cheers Dan :thumbsup:

errrrrl":2vt6wzyr said:
DeathbyButterslax":2vt6wzyr said:
errrrrl":2vt6wzyr said:
Spaceboy":2vt6wzyr said:
I must’ve missed something. This board anti-Fortin now?
Sure seems like it

:LOL: :LOL: man it’s more like this board is anti-everything depending on the day of the week
:LOL: :LOL: Pretty much

Some of it is starting to sound like fancy pants snubbery though... I'd like to hear some clips from the shit talkers personally. If they got amps better and more original than Fortin or whoever cool, I'd like to hear it, make me a believer. :cheers: Let see some clips! :rock:
Interwebz = srs bzns

Mailman1971":2vt6wzyr said:
Man Mike is super chill. He made a point to come have chit chat every time I popped by the booth. We talked about all kinds of “every day shit”. This was even when “celebs” were about. He wasn’t over trying to rub elbows or anything. Just hanging.

errrrrl":2cj5rqqd said:
Some of it is starting to sound like fancy pants snubbery though... I'd like to hear some clips from the shit talkers personally. If they got amps better and more original than Fortin or whoever cool, I'd like to hear it, make me a believer. :cheers: Let see some clips! :rock:

Not everybody can rip your face off with a Dirty Shirley there errrrrl!! LOL must've been the riffs in that clip.

errrrrl":2c32svgk said:
Mailman1971":2c32svgk said:
I hear that shit ;) Cheers Dan :thumbsup:

Bruddah!!
You know what I’m yakking. :LOL: :LOL:

Like Freddy Merc said..,
Nothing really matters?
Nothing really matters to me...
Truth! :rock:

bhuard75":1jd520lc said:
errrrrl":1jd520lc said:

Not everybody can rip your face off with a Dirty Shirley there errrrrl!! LOL must've been the riffs in that clip.

:LOL: :LOL: Thanks dude :rock:

Mailman1971":1jd520lc said:
Bruddah!!
You know what I’m yakking. :LOL: :LOL:

Like Freddy Merc said..,
Nothing really matters?
Nothing really matters to me...
Truth! :rock:
:rock:

JerEvil":3dr0fdr9 said:
Man Mike is super chill. He made a point to come have chit chat every time I popped by the booth. We talked about all kinds of “every day shit”. This was even when “celebs” were about. He wasn’t over trying to rub elbows or anything. Just hanging.

I'm sure he's a great guy and everything but at the end of the day he definitely stole other people's work. You can be ok with that if you want but not everyone has to be, like I said in the other thread not everyone has to agree.

It is an undisputable fact now that Dinos new amp is a copy of some Elan mod or whatever. I also believe Larry 100% from the posts and the timeline seems to add up as well. The burden of proof in that case would be on Mike to provide which we all know will not happen. So yeah, great guy, theif, whatever. Flip a coin.

I don't make amps, I make music. Just because there is not a system in place with the US government for stealing guitar amp circuitry, hence making it legal in MY opinion doesn't make it any better than stealing someone's music.

JerEvil":1f1nomrk said:
errrrrl":1f1nomrk said:
DeathbyButterslax":1f1nomrk said:
errrrrl":1f1nomrk said:
Spaceboy":1f1nomrk said:
I must’ve missed something. This board anti-Fortin now?
Sure seems like it

:LOL: :LOL: man it’s more like this board is anti-everything depending on the day of the week
:LOL: :LOL: Pretty much

Interwebz = srs bzns

Mailman1971":1f1nomrk said:

Yeah Mike is super chill. He loves music, tone and playing guitar. Always tinkering. Hardest worker I know. I just hope he remembers to take time for himself some times! He was encouraging me to learn some King Diamond earlier, but I had too much to do! Hopefully I can at some point though, some amazing musicians there!

maddnotez":3s1krimt said:
JerEvil":3s1krimt said:

I'm sure he's a great guy and everything but at the end of the day he definitely stole other people's work. You can be ok with that if you want but not everyone has to be, like I said in the other thread not everyone has to agree.

It is an undisputable fact now that Dinos new amp is a copy of some Elan mod or whatever. I also believe Larry 100% from the posts and the timeline seems to add up as well. The burden of proof in that case would be on Mike to provide which we all know will not happen. So yeah, great guy, theif, whatever. Flip a coin.

I don't make amps, I make music. Just because there is not a system in place with the US government for stealing guitar amp circuitry, hence making it legal in MY opinion doesn't make it any better than stealing someone's music.
Yep, Mike is a super nice guy. Helped me out when a Cali modded Ceriatone Trans died, very cool of him. Someone mentioned the criticism seems like 'snobbery' or something. That's far from the truth.

The truth is this. Unfortunately Mike Fortin not only copied others circuits, which is very common in the amp business, but he advertises these circuits as HIS OWN. And THAT is where the issue many have with him and his business. It might have been a much better move to at least admit that Fortin amps are based on blah blah blah...and TRY to give credit where credit is due. Some backlash sure, but not near as much as there is now.
Combine that with the unfortunate 'marketing' strategy that rubs most the wrong way, and now you have a recipe for a major backlash.

maddnotez":3923nawq said:
JerEvil":3923nawq said:

What amp do you play now? Have you thought about if the amp you are playing right now has parts of a circuit that where lifted off the original designer. Would it really change your mind.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I’d like to give Mike the benefit of the doubt and see some actual proof before just jumping on the ship of saying that all these amps that he’s designed and built are exact copies or another’s (Larrys) design. The Dino now that would make sense as he is trying to recreate it. For his own stuff you would think he would want to make it his own in some way but also taking ideas of what he’s seen from other amps design.

Racerxrated":1etfywbv said:
Yep, Mike is a super nice guy. Helped me out when a Cali modded Ceriatone Trans died, very cool of him. Someone mentioned the criticism seems like 'snobbery' or something. That's far from the truth.

The truth is this. Unfortunately Mike Fortin not only copied others circuits, which is very common in the amp business, but he advertises these circuits as HIS OWN. And THAT is where the issue many have with him and his business. It might have been a much better move to at least admit that Fortin amps are based on blah blah blah...and TRY to give credit where credit is due. Some backlash sure, but not near as much as there is now.
Combine that with the unfortunate 'marketing' strategy that rubs most the wrong way, and now you have a recipe for a major backlash.
Well if that is the truth then yeah that pretty much sucks and I agree with you. Btw I'm the one that made the fancy pants snobbery remark, I guess I misinterpreted. Carry on RT, have at it :D

Racerxrated":12efsnev said:
maddnotez":12efsnev said:
JerEvil":12efsnev said:

Can you show an amp schematic of what amps Mike has copied? Just looking for some proof on an amp that he’s supposedly designed and copied directly from.

Mike doesnt advertise anything like the literally less than 20 people care about. Not at all. Even if he did, which he doesn't, as everyone else has said, literally every circuit in guitar amps is based on something else at some point. It is like accusing Enzo Ferrari of ripping off Henry Ford. Just dumb. Just play what you like, and enjoy it. Play with your ears, not with your eyes based on what you read online. People will always hate those when they have the slightest bit of success. I know I personally, am stoked to see hard-working, great amp designers and engineers succeed. Mike works 100 hour weeks on the norm, and if you like what he spends that time on engineering, tweaking and making something he would play, as a killer guitarist I might add, then great! If not, then play something else! It is a great time to be a guitarist. This isn't curing cancer or sending a rocket to Mars. It is about having a good time and finding the tone in your head. Every circuit in m.i. is based off of something else x10. Find the guy that tweaks it to the tone you like! We don't hear RCA worried about it. Just have a good time and enjoy playing guitar! I can say this too, my wife is my best friend on the planet, and she is so over hearing about gear. There is not a single dude on this forum I wouldn't like to sit down with over a drink and nerd out with. There aren't many of us that love heavy music and guitars, gear etc. We should all enjoy the fact that we are amongst like-minded people. I for one, love that. ???

jasonP":1zajoe35 said:
Racerxrated":1zajoe35 said:
maddnotez":1zajoe35 said:
JerEvil":1zajoe35 said:

Can you show an amp schematic of what amps Mike has copied? Just looking for some proof on an amp that he’s supposedly designed and copied directly from.
There are threads on here and TGP about this where Larry chimes in about the timing of Mike purchasing 2 Larry amps and within a few months founding Fortin Amplification. Coincidence? Read them. And, every single pedal he has put out is a straight up copy of known circuits. Which isn't surprising since many copy pedals. Mike owns a few Elan Metalhead modded Marshalls. The Meathead is a straight up copy of one of his Elan modded Marshalls. As far as circuit schematics there is talk on those threads I mentioned that discuss certain parts of the circuit, Girth and Grind, that are exact copies of Larry's Bite and Punch circuit. Mike explained long ago that it was a simple circuit he took from an old amp book. But some techs that know that old circuit chimed in to say that no, the Fortin circuit is NOT that circuit pulled from that old amp book. It is different and matches the Larry circuit. Where there's smoke, there's fire and too many coincidences point to Fortin completely copying EVERYTHING from a Larry amp and passing it off as his own.
Buy and play what you want, it's a free country...but if you were someone who developed an original idea and sold one of your products to someone who then CLONES your product and starts selling it as their own, I don't think it would sit well with you or most people for that matter.

engage757":2zyzxxeq said:
Mike doesnt advertise anything like the literally less than 20 people care about. Not at all. Even if he did, which he doesn't, as everyone else has said, literally every circuit in guitar amps is based on something else at some point. It is like accusing Enzo Ferrari of ripping off Henry Ford. Just dumb. Just play what you like, and enjoy it. Play with your ears, not with your eyes based on what you read online. People will always hate those when they have the slightest bit of success. I know I personally, am stoked to see hard-working, great amp designers and engineers succeed. Mike works 100 hour weeks on the norm, and if you like what he spends that time on engineering, tweaking and making something he would play, as a killer guitarist I might add, then great! If not, then play something else! It is a great time to be a guitarist. This isn't curing cancer or sending a rocket to Mars. It is about having a good time and finding the tone in your head. Every circuit in m.i. is based off of something else x10. Find the guy that tweaks it to the tone you like! We don't hear RCA worried about it. Just have a good time and enjoy playing guitar! I can say this too, my wife is my best friend on the planet, and she is so over hearing about gear. There is not a single dude on this forum I wouldn't like to sit down with over a drink and nerd out with. There aren't many of us that love heavy music and guitars, gear etc. We should all enjoy the fact that we are amongst like-minded people. I for one, love that. ???

So he did copy the circuits?

DeathbyButterslax":1ovp7vqh said:
engage757":1ovp7vqh said:

So he did copy the circuits?

After that block of text... sure looks like a “YES” to me.

Enzo Ferrari...

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Fortin thread made. Check.

Same 3 people come in thread and repeat same talking points over and over and over...and over and over again. Check.

Fortin sells out amps. Check.

Life goes on. Check.

The end.

Krull":3nf8kc08 said:
Same 3 people come in thread and repeat same talking points over and over and over...and over and over again.
But it's simply the truth and has to be refreshed again and again, when others try to dilute it again and again and again...

Krull":3nf8kc08 said:
Fortin sells out amps. Check.
Yes, he sells out amps, but amps with circuits, where others have done the development with hundrets of (not paid) hours.
But don't worry, karma always is beating back, earlier or later ;)

Its probably worth mentioning that if the people being "ripped off" cared enough about it they would probably be making more of an effort to compete.

Get busy living, or get busy dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back