Friedman BE 100 latest version VS BE 100 Deluxe

lespaul6

Hey, wondering if anyone has checked out the differences between the latest version of the BE 100 with four toggles on the front and the round indicator light and the Deluxe? Is the BE channel the same? same circuit? preamp filtering the same? I know some changes have been made to the power section but not sure the extent.... all opinions welcome I'm focused mainly on the BE channel.. don't care about the HBE.

If it was the same, he probably would not have made a new amp. I mean, in all honesty it is a Friedman and it has his signature sound to it.

If you can get a BE-100 at a great deal then I would suggest that and save some $$$ in the process.

No the circuit is slightly different in the preamp, and the power amp has some response (variable NFB), and the thump/depth whatever he calls it, has a frequency switch

lespaul6":2pwzr3hw said:
Hey, wondering if anyone has checked out the differences between the latest version of the BE 100 with four toggles on the front and the round indicator light and the Deluxe? Is the BE channel the same? same circuit? preamp filtering the same? I know some changes have been made to the power section but not sure the extent.... all opinions welcome I'm focused mainly on the BE channel.. don't care about the HBE.

panhead":31xh7k7o said:
Hold on I`ll ask Larry and get back to ya. OK LOL
Haven't heard of you yet :D

But whatever you own, a BE 100 or a BE 100 DeLuxe, by any means I'd suggest you to swap the treble caps, which are black Silver Mica's and which are prone for becoming leaky (Dave actually should have known this as well). At the latest when the amp is making a crackling noise what isn't caused by a bad preamp tube, then very likely this is the cause.

I can hear you asking: "Which ones of the components on the board are the treble caps?"

Ok here we go. The left yello arrow is pointing to the CLN treble cap, the right to the BE/HBE treble cap:

Here the BE/HBE treble cap once again some closer:

My personal choice for the BE/HBE treble cap is an old Panasonic 3kV ceramics (not available anymore), because these are very close to the orig. Lemco's soundwise, which Marshall has used in the late 60' and early 70':

But you can use i.e. the brown Silver Mica's or Murata ceramic caps.

Attachments

• C15-1.jpg
    C15-1.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 3,815
  • C15-3.jpg
    C15-3.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,778
  • C15-4.jpg
    C15-4.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1,539
novosibir":1tsh8n0r said:
My personal choice for the BE/HBE treble cap is an old Panasonic 3kV ceramics (not available anymore), because these are very close to the orig. Lemco's soundwise, which Marshall has used in the late 60' and early 70':

Damn you Larry, now the cats out of the bag :doh: :doh: :doh:
I only have about 30 of the 3kv 470pf left, and now the prices on ebay just went up :LOL: :LOL:
Seriously though, the 1000pf and 4700pf 3kv Panasonics sound great as treble peakers or bright caps in Jose/Marshall style builds as well.
You recommended these a long time ago on the Metro forum, and I was really surprised how good they sounded when I tried them. Hard to find though....

novosibir":1ysdr0oj said:
panhead":1ysdr0oj said:
Hold on I`ll ask Larry and get back to ya. OK LOL
Haven't heard of you yet :D

But whatever you own, a BE 100 or a BE 100 DeLuxe, by any means I'd suggest you to swap the treble caps, which are black Silver Mica's and which are prone for becoming leaky (Dave actually should have known this as well). At the latest when the amp is making a crackling noise what isn't caused by a bad preamp tube, then very likely this is the cause.

I can hear you asking: "Which ones of the components on the board are the treble caps?"

Ok here we go. The left yello arrow is pointing to the CLN treble cap, the right to the BE/HBE treble cap:

Here the BE/HBE treble cap once again some closer:

Wow that's some great info! :rock:

fusedbrain":132oouf4 said:
I only have about 30 of the 3kv 470pf left, and now the prices on ebay just went up :LOL: :LOL:
As long as you aren't a pro amp builder these 30 should be plenty for the rest of your life.
I've pulled 500 each of the 470pf and the 1000pf at that time and 250 each of all other values :)

fusedbrain":132oouf4 said:
You recommended these a long time ago on the Metro forum, and I was really surprised how good they sounded when I tried them. Hard to find though....
Nice that I could help you and maybe still some others with my recommendation.
The same recommendation I also gave to Mike Fortin at that time and if you look inside his (** :D **), what's there?

Attachments

• FN047cut.jpg
    FN047cut.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,482
novosibir":37a98f4r said:
fusedbrain":37a98f4r said:
As long as you aren't a pro amp builder these 30 should be plenty for the rest of your life.
I've pulled 500 each of the 470pf and the 1000pf at that time and 250 each of all other values :)

No, just a hobbyist builder, but consider one used for the tonestack, one on 470k/470k divider, possibly one as bright cap, and also possibly 1 as high frequency snubber, and they get used up rather quickly.

novosibir":37a98f4r said:
Nice that I could help you and maybe still some others with my recommendation.
The same recommendation I also gave to Mike Fortin at that time and if you look inside his (** :D **), what's there?
Yes you were always very gracious with help on the Metro forum. I always look forward to reading your posts.
I saw that pic posted the other day and laughed out loud. I recognised those caps instantly, and also knew exactly why those particular caps were used. ;)

[/quote]

fusedbrain":l21r579e said:
I saw that pic posted the other day and laughed out loud. I recognised those caps instantly, and also knew exactly why those particular caps were used. ;)
Ask him. I bet he'd claim that it's been his own R&D to figure out exactly this type of ceramics :D

Same here on the Mica caps, I don’t like how they sound as a treble peaker, I’ve been using Vishay ceramics as well.

Back