Friedman vs Cameron

Gotta admit, that Cameron doesn’t sound that good. 🤷 Bottom end is way too much.

Either way, I have no dog in the fight as I don’t own any Friedman or Cameron amps. 👍

You don’t? Wow, you’ve had a few, I’d have bet there woulda been a keeper in there out of one of them.

What about what you dubbed as the “Cameron Snarl” .... 🤣
I'm not sure if it is the IR speaker emulation but I'm not hearing any of the trademark Cameron clank, snarl, growl and clarity that is present in almost every Cameron clip I've heard. That's probably the first Cameron that sounded really unfocused and bloated in the low end with no aggersive bite in the mids and highs...strange. I guess it's possible if it was dialed in a certain way or the amp is less than stellar.

Friedman BE Deluxe sounds good, it's alot less compressed than some of the standard BE100's but Dave said he designed those to be more open and more Marshally raw.

Funny they don't mention what Cameron mod this was....Atomica, Ocean, Jose, Aldrich? Almost all of them usually have at least one extra gain pot added to the input jack hole, I haven't seen too many that still had all four input jacks still there.

Last edited:
The Cameron sounds sick. I think that amp is ill. Maybe it is pinning for the fjords?

Get the Cameron looked at it. The Friedman sounds much better.

I borrowed a friend’s Cameron Ocean a while back. It was a ground up point to point build. Not Marshall based.

The amp sounded great but was very smooth, dark, no snarl or obvious bite. There were numerous treble smoothing tweaks in the circuit. It was the way it was supposed to sound, I’m sure. Still very killer. But he does have those types of mods.

That Cameron may need servicing or tubes, I dunno. Doesn’t sound great. Muffled and congested. It’s also likely going to be a Jose master vs standard, diodes vs extra tube stage. Possibly fixed depth circuit in the Cameron. Less neg feedback for sure in the Friedman. I’ll bet a few circuit tweaks would get the Cameron much closer.

Last edited:
Gain and bass need to be backed off a ton on the Cameron
If that’s Blake’s vid, then that’s the one I sold him. Sam(Braintheory) had it before me. It’s a 3 channel amp. I found on the HG Jose channel you had to keep the gain at no more than 3 and the bass low or it sounds exactly like that vid. Jose vol pulled of course. And, turned up it was amazing. Through GBs or 65s, or H30 anniversaries. Through V30s it was straight up ass to my ears.
Friedman definitely sounded better but as others have said, less is more on that Jose channel.

If that’s Blake’s vid, then that’s the one I sold him. Sam(Braintheory) had it before me. It’s a 3 channel amp. I found on the HG Jose channel you had to keep the gain at no more than 3 and the bass low or it sounds exactly like that vid. Jose vol pulled of course. And, turned up it was amazing. Through GBs or 65s, or H30 anniversaries. Through V30s it was straight up ass to my ears.
Friedman definitely sounded better but as others have said, less is more on that Jose channel.

It was. Bass boost was off with bass on maybe 930. It's just a bass heavy voice no way around it. So much damn gain makes the bass bloat, even with gain at 10:00. I liked it through Greenbacks, I like almost every amp through greenbacks. Mixing greenbacks and V30s was cool. Ran it through H30s as well, they offer a cool sound that isnt worlds apart from V30's that are worn in, just a more old school vibe/texture. V30s are just always the most aggressive and modern sounding to my ear and have the cut and sizzle that I like without being fizzy or tubby. It's not like running that Cam through different speakers completely changed the amp. Despite the monster bass, I'd just say the Cam is voiced more 80s and the Friedman is more modern/tight. The Cam makes you want to run on the low strings and accent the middle/high strings - totally 80s riff approach.

It was. Bass boost was off with bass on maybe 930. It's just a bass heavy voice no way around it. So much damn gain makes the bass bloat, even with gain at 10:00. I liked it through Greenbacks, I like almost every amp through greenbacks. Mixing greenbacks and V30s was cool. Ran it through H30s as well, they offer a cool sound that isnt worlds apart from V30's that are worn in, just a more old school vibe/texture. V30s are just always the most aggressive and modern sounding to my ear and have the cut and sizzle that I like without being fizzy or tubby. It's not like running that Cam through different speakers completely changed the amp. Despite the monster bass, I'd just say the Cam is voiced more 80s and the Friedman is more modern/tight. The Cam makes you want to run on the low strings and accent the middle/high strings - totally 80s riff approach.
After Sam told to try it with minimal eq, I dropped everything down to like 1-3 including gain and that was much better; more clarity. I get pretty stubborn with my settings so it took a week for me to try it lol.
But that was a much better tone; everything set super low. It won’t get tight though; that’s the nature of that mod. I’ve had a few Jose’s from others and they all had the loose sag to the tone. But great for leads.
Great vid btw!

I'm willing to bet that Cameron amp can easily be adjusted for the bottom end. It's likely the depth circuit.

Back