G12M Greenback, G12H-30 Anniversary or V30s

sluice

Ok, here is my thing.

I have a 4x12 Wizard cab coming up in the next few days to go with my Wizard MC head . It has :

• -2x G12H-30 Anniversary
    -2x V30s

My initial idea was to swap the speakers for 4x G12M
But I'm also thinking of other combinations that I will now have at hands..

1. 2x G12M + 2x G12H-30 Anniversary
2. 2x G12H + 2x V30s
3. 2x G12M + 2x V30s

Anyone have tried one or more of these combos?

I'm most probably going to buy 2 more G12M and go full Greenbacks.... But change my mind?

I also have 2x G12M laying around.

Does anyone have experience

Any GB or variant will sound great with your MC. When I had mine I didn’t like it with V30s nearly as much as my 76 Marshall GB cab or 83 800 cab with 65s. YMMV.

I had G12H-30s in my Marshall AHW 4x12. They sounded so killer. But even 120w is too low for a 100w Marshall head, as I found out the hard way two weeks ago. I blew two of those speakers after about four years of heavy use, as in I have never played through that cab with a Marshall's volume under 6. Those speakers are not really cost effective to recone, so I'm stuck with two good ones and two bad ones.

Yes you can blow them if you aren't mindful of pushing them too hard but nothing sounds as good as greenbacks imo. I have a a 180w Coliseum that I push through creambacks but never will blow them. I'm just careful about it, who runs there Marshall on 6?

exo-metal":aenrztio said:
who runs there Marshall on 6?

I work from home and play when the wife is gone. I use foam earplugs as my attenuator, and it sounds heavenly. I got a new Mojotone 4x12 and a quad of WGS Invaders last week. So I'm breaking all that in when Mrs. Lee and I are out of the house. Got about 16 hours on it so far.

I’ve always found any Marshall to max at 4, maybe 5 on the MV. Anything above starts to sound worse. 2-3 was the sweet spot usually. But a Wizard, that damn thing just keeps getting louder lol

I vote all GB's. I have 4 of them loaded up in a 1960B usually being pushed by a DSL 100HR. I keep the master up about halfway and use the channel volume to taste. Haven't blown anything up yet!

Racerxrated":111w77ya said:
I’ve always found any Marshall to max at 4, maybe 5 on the MV. Anything above starts to sound worse. 2-3 was the sweet spot usually. But a Wizard, that damn thing just keeps getting louder lol
This^

My take....
2x G12H + 2x V30s: I've tried this combo in a few different 4x12 cabs, and never cared for it with any of my amps. Just way too much upper midrange. I can't imagine this would sound good with a Wizard, but what the hell do I know. I bet there's some guys that love this combo. It's better if the H30's are the Heritage version and not the 70th version, but it's still pretty "in your face" with the upper mids. Bass is big, but Wizard amps have lots of that.

2x G12M + 2x V30s: I have this combo in a Bogner cab and it sounds great with most of my amps. It's a popular combo, but I'm just not fond of V30's with my MCII, and never use this cab with my Wiz.

2x G12M + 2x G12H-30 Anniversary: I have this combo loaded in a Wizard cab and it's good with everything( including the MCII), and spectacular with a lot of my amps. But it's not my first choice with the MCII.

4x G12M: I have this in a vintage spec Marshall clone cab, and this cab is great with most of my amps, and is my #1 choice with the MCII.

Seeing as how the cab you have coming has 2x G12H + 2x V30s, if that's not working out then I'd start buy swapping the 2 V30's for G12M's and see what you think. If that's still not doing it for you, then I'd get 2 more G12M's and try 4x greenbacks.

Note that I'm playing mostly classic rock and metal with Les Pauls in standard tuning down to drop C#, and not doing the "Brootz" tuned to drop Z. Think AIC vs Meshugga.

YMMV

fusedbrain":3buyefp7 said:
My take....
2x G12H + 2x V30s: I've tried this combo in a few different 4x12 cabs, and never cared for it with any of my amps. Just way too much upper midrange. I can't imagine this would sound good with a Wizard, but what the hell do I know. I bet there's some guys that love this combo. It's better if the H30's are the Heritage version and not the 70th version, but it's still pretty "in your face" with the upper mids. Bass is big, but Wizard amps have lots of that.

2x G12M + 2x V30s: I have this combo in a Bogner cab and it sounds great with most of my amps. It's a popular combo, but I'm just not fond of V30's with my MCII, and never use this cab with my Wiz.

2x G12M + 2x G12H-30 Anniversary: I have this combo loaded in a Wizard cab and it's good with everything( including the MCII), and spectacular with a lot of my amps. But it's not my first choice with the MCII.

4x G12M: I have this in a vintage spec Marshall clone cab, and this cab is great with most of my amps, and is my #1 choice with the MCII.

Seeing as how the cab you have coming has 2x G12H + 2x V30s, if that's not working out then I'd start buy swapping the 2 V30's for G12M's and see what you think. If that's still not doing it for you, then I'd get 2 more G12M's and try 4x greenbacks.

Note that I'm playing mostly classic rock and metal with Les Pauls in standard tuning down to drop C#, and not doing the "Brootz" tuned to drop Z. Think AIC vs Meshugga.

YMMV

Perfect answer and exactly what I wanted to hear! :thumbsup:

I'm probably simply going to sell all the speakers in it to finance the two missing Greenbacks.
You know when you have something in mind, knowing it's the right thing to do and you finally change idea...
You regret it and eventually, in the end, go back to the first choice. :LOL: :LOL:

Back