George Lynch tone?

Doesn't matter, because he is playing LIKE George. When you are first and a pioneer, that's all that matters. George back in his prime? Unique and a blazing stud. No George, no Levin. Same for all the other originals with a sound.

George didn't pioneer anything special. Jon has been playing in bands since the 80s as well.

My favorite Lynch tones are from BFTA and Wicked. Through the years and through multiple amps I've discovered that the only Lynch I sound like when I play is Jane.

Keep running back to the flat 5 and shake the shit out of everything... you'll sound more like George than Jane.

George didn't pioneer anything special. Jon has been playing in bands since the 80s as well.

how do you figure? You can go back to the club days when EVH was ripping it up and listen to George around the same time and tell me he doesn't sound unique. He is a total pioneer. Nobody sounding like him during the live AID We are Stars stuff either. Find me clips of Jon playing late 70's or 81-82' and sounding different than everyone else. He's an amazing player, but he hasn't put his stamp on the scene like george did.

I think you just turn the dials until it sounds as close as possible to you, just realize you’re not Lynch and you’ll have to settle for close enough more than likely. And that’s not a bad thing.
And that's exactly why I wrote "a Lynchish sound"

Just curious but has a really great player with really great tone ever said "tone is in the fingers"? Just seems like internet wannabes that say that.

Yes... Anyone who tried Ed's rig throughout his career say " I just sounded like me". That's saying, it was in his hands and the way he played. Off the top of my head, Nugent said that, Nuno said that and there were a few others. Many players say that.

Yes... Anyone who tried Ed's rig throughout his career say " I just sounded like me". That's saying, it was in his hands and the way he played. Off the top of my head, Nugent said that, Nuno said that and there were a few others. Many players say that.
Correct. I’ve heard many, many pros say that it’s mostly in the hands.

It’s not in the hands. Take any two guitar band, Priest, Maiden, Night Ranger, Ratt, Stryper, Rough Cutt, Boston, Don Dokken solo band, etc. Now, without reading the liner notes, tell me who played what. You goi g to tell me Robin Crosby and Di Martini shared hands/fingers ? It’s more likely similar gear recorded in the same studio at more or less the same time by the same engineer and producer on the same equipment.

It’s not in the hands. Take any two guitar band, Priest, Maiden, Night Ranger, Ratt, Stryper, Rough Cutt, Boston, Don Dokken solo band, etc. Now, without reading the liner notes, tell me who played what. You goi g to tell me Robin Crosby and Di Martini shared hands/fingers ? It’s more likely similar gear recorded in the same studio at more or less the same time by the same engineer and producer on the same equipment.

Are you being serious? I can tell you exactly who is playing what 95% of the time on all of the following if not 100% of the time:

KK vs Glenn
Adrian vs Murray
Gillis vs Other dude
Crosby vs DeMartini

Don Dokken project with Norum and White was more difficult but that is an exception.

It's in the "fingers" or swag/attack/timing/licks of the player for sure. Schenker playing through a pignose on early UFO vs JMP's and later 2205's is still him no matter what he played. It 100% is in the fingers.

Well dang, I was hoping great players with great tone wouldn't say something so idiotic.

Are you being serious? I can tell you exactly who is playing what 95% of the time on all of the following if not 100% of the time:

KK vs Glenn
Adrian vs Murray
Gillis vs Other dude
Crosby vs DeMartini

Don Dokken project with Norum and White was more difficult but that is an exception.

It's in the "fingers" or swag/attack/timing/licks of the player for sure. Schenker playing through a pignose on early UFO vs JMP's and later 2205's is still him no matter what he played. It 100% is in the fingers.
Yes I’m serious, I should have said based on tone alone, NOT WHATis being played. Style is in the fingers/hands/brain for sure.

Yes I’m serious, I should have said based on tone alone, NOT WHATis being played. Style is in the fingers/hands/brain for sure.

But how do you separate the two? 10 players all play the same amp .. we know who they are. Tone doesn't matter at that point, their hands do and they will every single time. So yeah if you can cop their style, the amp and pedals will get you even closer. But if you can't, you may not be as satisfied. I don't have an issue with the original post though... he asked for ballpark. We just added the hands thing because we like busting balls around here.

Technique - Hands

Tone - Guitar, Pick ups, guitar wood, strings, bridge, cable, Amplifier, Tubes, Transformers, speaker cabinet, speakers, Microphone, etc etc

If it’s all in the hands, then why did Eddie pick that ‘one’ Marshall ?

But don’t bring this up on the gear page, they think you can get great tone out of an AM radio ... just with ‘good hands’.

Last edited:
It's abstract. I think people say tone when they mean timbre, or they say tone when they're talking about the nuances that uniquely identify a given player. Someone asks about the former, and then people respond as though it's the latter. All in the fingers? I'll give you a JC-120 dialed in ultra clean, and you get a mid-scooped, thumping Euro metal tone using just your fingers. Because tone's all in the fingers, right????

The thing about guys like Lynch and EVH, is that everything's a reflection of their taste and their personality. Not just gear choice, not just how they touch the guitar. Phrasing, note choice, what gear they choose, how they dial it in, song writing, everything. Their fingers aren't the only part. They're not even the most important part. It has way more to do with their ears and their brains. EVH could have sequenced synth parts on a computer using just a mouse, and you'd still be able to tell it was him from all of the traits that reflect his personality and how he hears things.

Getting Lynch's guitar sound is different than trying to sound like Lynch. I think the OP was asking about his guitar sound.

In 1979, Eddie Van Halen came to Toronto Steve’s Music store one afternoon before the show they were playing, everyone In the store, as you can imagine, went completely nuts !

Now, Steve’s Music didn’t carry Marshall Amplifiers at that time, So they plug him into a late 60s fender and cranked it up…
Yes, there it was, EVH!!
...but his ‘tone’ was absolutely horrible.

Back